Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-21, 02:10 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm getting going with Pahla B.

I need a better internet connection, but it's good enough for now.

No major plans, just hoping to get moving again after having felt like a slug for two months.

Oh, and in terms of all-round health and well-being, I've got some strategies to continue nutritionally, and some more to continue managing my good mental health.
Old 12-28-21, 02:47 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I like your new hairstyle!

For the most part I'll continue doing what I usually do. I think this year I will incorporate more barre workouts and continue on the trend of doing more Youtube workouts than DVDs. My love of mat Pilates has faded somewhat - I find that I'm getting a more fun and effective core strengthening workout with Lucy Wyndham-Read's style.

I'm contemplating subscribing to YouTube Premium.

I also plan to use the gym more for cardio. I always do weights at the gym, but last month I started using the cardio machines more to get some pounds off, and it feels good when I do.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 02:49 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I'm going to learn to walk again eventually after having major reconstructive surgery on my foot a few weeks ago. And I'm going to need to lose a ton of weight.

Erica
Good luck - sending hugs and healing prayers.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 05:27 PM  
Messe

I've signed up for three YouTube challenges (so far), but I'm terrible at sticking to rotations, so I'll probably be picking and choosing my strength workouts from all the challenges.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 05:51 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
adawn - I have been doing the "Dollar per Workout" Challenge for years now. It does help with motivation (for me)!
I probably should have credited you in my post for my plan as you actually helped to inspire it as I've heard you mention your method a few times over the years. Then recently I read the NYT article "A Penny for Your Squats?" on my phone while waiting for an appointment. Apparently, "Among 52 incentives to exercise, giving people a 9-cent award if they returned to the gym after missing a workout helped the most."

That kind of blew my mind and got me thinking, maybe $$ (any amount) really can be an exercise motivator.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/w...ion-study.html
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 06:22 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I'm contemplating subscribing to YouTube Premium.
I started my trial subscription today!

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 07:19 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones View Post
You might want to look at Pahla B and her 5-0 plan. A calorie plan and moderate exercise combined using her youtube videos. You don't need to be over 50 to benefit. She has a 31 day plan -low impact and some weight workouts. She's very much into moving in ways that feel good on your body and not stressing out about it. She promotes the benefits of moderation instead trying to hardcore kill yourself with your diet and exercise plan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy_A...1rMBiBMFLhYr-S
Thanks for this. Even though I've never been able to follow a specific rotation, this looks like a good foundation to build on.
Old 12-28-21, 10:19 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I'm getting going with Pahla B.
I really like Pahla B! I followed three parts of her 5-0 plan lately: calorie deficit, keep workouts light, and water.

I tried her workouts but (1) I need more weight work/heavier weight work and (2) music. So once my knee healed enough, I finally found a low enough calorie deficit that I could consistently manage, and I did 3 weight workouts a week (Cathe Live instead), with the rest just either stretching (CS/Ess) or just nothing (walking aggravates my knee). The two things that I found were keeping my weight from shifting: cardio (which just made me hungry) and not being in a real calorie deficit for long enough time.

I kid you not -- I lost 11 pounds in a little over 3 months!

For realsies! I even dropped a full pant size. And bear in mind that I've gained 35 lbs in 3 years since starting perimenopause and numerous injuries and a surgery. And I *NEVER* thought losing weight for me was even possible. With the holidays I haven't been able to keep within the calories (sorry, Pahla) but I know now that I actually can and look forward to getting back to my routine next week.

So my plan for 2022 is pretty simple: stay in a consistent calorie deficit but meet my macros with nutrient-rich foods, do weights a few times a week when I can, and keep NOT doing cardio! (and keep up with water!)

(Pahla also has sleep as one of her 5-0 parts, but that's really really really hit or miss for me since peri. So not much I can do about that...)
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 06:30 AM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I'm going to learn to walk again eventually after having major reconstructive surgery on my foot a few weeks ago. And I'm going to need to lose a ton of weight.

I went from being lean and fit from running/spinning/lifting weights and being disciplined with my diet to a stranger who lies around on the couch all day with her leg elevated and eating crap nonstop. It will be weeks before I'm allowed to even take one step on my operated foot. I need to exercise for my mental health and it's always helped me stay motivated to eat better. Without working out, everything else falls apart.

Erica
Erica this post and subsequent ones spoke to me as well as the many supportive responses. In the beginning of Covid, March 2020, I broke my foot much to my surprise. I think it was a stress fracture that completely gave way doing a hiit workout. Exercise was always my stress release, and it was at a time I really needed it. The pandemic had everyone on edge. I eventually learned to adapt doing upper body and core workouts as well as chair cardio routines. It probably took me 6 months after the healing process to get back into shape and feel comfortable doing my regular workouts. Fast forward to May 2021. I was in a near fatal car crash. Broken C7, severe concussion, injured left neck/shoulder area as well as a shattered right leg. From May 11th to the middle of September I was not allowed to put any weight on my right leg and no lifting. I was also surgically placed in an external fixator which didn't come off for almost 3 months. It took 4 surgeries to repair my right leg. I also wore a cervical brace for those months and thank goodness that area healed without surgery. Plus I lost range of motion and most of my strength in my left shoulder area. I couldn't tolerate my regular healthier diet during this time. My stomach wanted only carbs with the pain meds I was taking. So being mostly in bed for several months and eating very unhealthy, I put on 10 pounds. On top of this, my right leg is so swollen at times that I can't wear regular pants. I need to wear something that stretches or with lots of leg room. The initial stages of therapy were rough. I lost all my muscle strength and had severe limitations on range of motion in my hip, leg and ankle besides my neck, spine and shoulder. Lots of atrophy throughout my body too. I went from being in the best shape of my life to requiring assistance with everything. I also couldn't concentrate to watch TV shows, read or listen to podcasts. Mentally I wasn't able plus the effects of the concussion lasted for months. I was never a TV person anyway, so this just made things so tough. Hoping you can find something you enjoy to help distract during the healing process. The prognosis for my injury is a 1-2 year recovery. This includes all the pain, swelling and numbness that persists. I have weaned myself off the pain medication due to the unbearable side effects. But this often makes things complicated since the pain continues. The thought of an extended recovery is overwhelming so I decided I will take it day by day. Like you I have felt guilty about complaining or grieving since I am lucky to be alive and so many others have it even worse. But it is a major loss and something to be addressed. I am glad that you realize you may need more professional help during this very difficult time. I have made some major progress since October. At that time, I was using the wheelchair and rolling walker to get around. I eventually graduated to the cane and now walk without one while in the house. I started using my bike which has really helped mentally and physically. I was discharged from therapy last week. Basically, it's up to me at this point to continue working on my range of motion, balance, strength, etc. My husband bought me a treadmill for Christmas. My speed is around 1.5. It took over 20 minutes to do a half mile last week. Yesterday, I was able to walk at 2.1 for 15 second intervals and finished that half mile under 20 minutes. Baby steps. Your recovery will be different because I am dealing with upper body, neck and spinal issues as well as leg issues. But I just wanted to give you some hope that you will slowly get there. I am not sure where my progress will end but I keep working at it and moving forward. I may need to rethink my new normal in the future. Not sure if I ever will be doing high impact again. Please feel free to reach out to me at any time. Some days I just need to vent as well. While everybody around me just wants positivity. I have a check-in group here that has been so incredibly supportive. Just know I completely understand your sadness, anger, anxiety, loneliness, etc. as you navigate this long recovery process. Sending positive, healing vibes your way.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 07:19 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Just know I completely understand your sadness, anger, anxiety, loneliness, etc. as you navigate this long recovery process. Sending positive, healing vibes your way.

Oh, thank you so very much for your thoughtful and supportive post. I am sitting here (of course) in tears. I am very sorry for everything you've been through mentally and physically. That must be so difficult to be grateful to be alive while struggling to accept your new body, life, and limitations. Sounds like you are making great progress, though - that is very exciting. I remember coming back from previous surgeries and injuries and how good it felt to regain some strength and endurance.

My recovery is expected to take one year. Like you, I can't look at that big block of time and have to take it day by day. As you said, it's just too overwhelming. Right now I mostly use my knee scooter but sometimes crutches (don't feel very stable or safe on them). I scoot up and down the stairs. Getting in and out of the house is an ordeal as is showering. Even just getting to the bathroom takes a lot of effort. When I go to the doctor, DH gets a wheelchair for me. I knew what to expect prior to surgery but actually living it is a lot harder than I expected. For you, with the accident, you wouldn't have had any time to prepare mentally for what was ahead and were basically thrust into an entirely new life.

The mental struggle has been the hardest, though. Starting recovery when my kids are home for the holidays probably wasn't such a good idea - I hate that they are seeing me such an emotional mess. I try to hide it from them as much as possible but it's pretty obvious when I'm frequently in tears or just cranky.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and offer me encouragement and support. Please pm or post anytime if you want to vent. I wish you all the best in your recovery and hope you continue to make great progress and experience less pain as time goes on. And, again, I'm sorry for what you've been through but so grateful that you made it through alive!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2022, goals, motivation, new year, new year goals