Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-28-21, 05:09 PM  
horusosiris

So far this week I have done a Barre 3 workout, Hamelin's Cardio G (one of my favorites) and Cathe

Chel and Kate- I agree. Burpees are not a warm up move. I do not like burpees anymore because they were so overused in workouts and now I barely do them. I also do not think that pushups and jumping jacks are warm up moves.

Kate- I sending hugs and prayers your way for the chemo session and CT scan tomorrow. I love Tony's One on One workouts. He has a shoulder and an arm workout that I do all of the time. Yes Tony is goofy but I love his workouts. I think that he is a bit tamer than BJ Gaddour. It was wonderful that you spent X-mas with your sons.

Chel and Bee- Bee you like snow and Chel you like the Beach. In New England one gets to enjoy all of the seasons and that is one of the things that I love about it.

Mickey
- I hope you are feeling better.

On to Hump Day tomorrow!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 06:21 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I've done walking since I last posted. Still trying to take it easy. The pain comes and goes. I'm just tired of it and I'm impatient but it will get better. I keep telling myself that. I'm horrible at taking it slow.

I agree that jumping jacks, burpees and full body pushups are not warmup moves. I think that Cathe does a modified pushup on her knees using the step and that is actually okay with me, but a fast full body pushup is a "nope" in my book. I think that Michele Dozois did a crazy warmup in her Athletic Conditioning workout (way too much jumping, up and down moves, etc) and I remember pausing it to do a proper warmup.

bee, did you get snow? Those storms look wicked! I know that area needs rain/snow to help with the drought (as does our area) but boy, it does seem that it all comes at once! I think you are right that the PT probably used the first appointment for assessment and will give you more to do in the following appointments.

Kate, ugh on the garage cleanup. DH and I do that periodically and actually it is probably the least cluttered place in the house, unfortunately. I remember cleaning out the garage at my parents' house. I don't recall it ever got done ever so we are talking 40 years of accumulation. We even designed a game to see who would find the most banned substances! (DDT anyone?). We didn't find any remains, though. I bet the cats took care of that issue in my parents' case. I'm sure you are glad the job is done.

bee, Chele and horusosiris, it seems that we like the climate that is somewhere other than where we live! I like the beach okay, but not the one available where we live. Too crowded and too many tourists. I prefer the mountains and cooler weather, neither of which are here. I really like New England although it does get cold/snowy. It's so beautiful in the fall and spring and the summers are usually pretty mild. I lived in CT briefly and traveled throughout and want to take another trip up since DH has never been to the area.

Waving to all! So hard to believe we are finishing another year! Best wishes and Happy New Year to all!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 06:59 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Just have to pop in here realllllly quick and ask WHO IS THAT in your avatar pic, FN2????? Hilarious, adorable, and I would expect no less from you, hah hah hah!!!!!

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 07:16 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
Just have to pop in here realllllly quick and ask WHO IS THAT in your avatar pic, FN2????? Hilarious, adorable, and I would expect no less from you, hah hah hah!!!!!
Yes! Tell us which feline we are seeing in your new avatar. Soooo cute!
Old 12-28-21, 08:40 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
LOL that is Olly! Timing is everything---he was in the midst of a gigantic yawn and I happened to have my phone handy to take a picture.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 11:11 PM  
ChelePA

Kate….lots of prayers and love.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 11:16 PM  
ChelePA

Headed to bed but quick check in. Loved the pic of Olly!

Curious if you like to do mobility workouts before your main routine or afterwards. If you are doubling up or maybe adding a shorter mobility on for the day. I walked on the treadmill today for a half mile. And my back felt so stiff. So I did Cathe’s mobility workout which felt great before I did my 30 minute cycling class. Looking forward to your opinions
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 01:12 PM  
Mickey12

Chele I am so proud of you. I can't even tell you. You're such an inspiration to us. I read your post to Erica in the other thread and your encouragement and support to her is incredible. I just love you.

I'm hoping Linda will chime in about the mobility workouts as I believe she does them.

Yesterday I did a hodgepodge of stuff - quick walk at lunch, then I did a 15 minute Leslie walk and then a section of KCM abs and core and some stretching. Today I got out at lunch for a little longer walk, not sure what I will do tonight yet since I have plans after work.
Old 12-29-21, 07:19 PM  
manleym

Hi Everyone!

We are back from Georgia. I had a GREAT time loving and kissing and playing with my grandnephew! It was great being with my side of the family (minus my oldest niece) since we haven't spent holidays together since my mom died. Definitely some family dynamics, but there always is. My niece could have done alot better. Enough said. My grandnephew is 5 months old, so not quite ready to give kisses, but is opening his mouth to get there. I practiced puckering with him so hopefully next time I see him he'll be able to give big fat wet smoochy kisses. Obviously he can't do it yet but at least he saw me making the move with my mouth. And we practiced pulling up - alot. He's getting to the point of being able to sit up from laying on his back holding on to our fingers. He's doing most of the work now and a few times was able to stand all the way up. And of course LOTS of pictures! Ok, I'll stop drooling over him and move on.

Cataddict I LOVE the new avatar! That is perfect! Hope you are feeling better and healing.

ChelePA yes I frequently do something before or after a workout for mobility, flexibility, stretching. Tracie Long has a great 15 minute mobility section on her Signature Series 2 dvd that I've used before. She incorporate quite a bit of mobility into her workouts. Sometimes I'll search "mobility, flexibility" on YT to see what pops up. I do some kind of yoga, mobility, flexibility after every workout, anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, depending on how much time I have. It makes a huge difference! One move that really helps release my back is corpse pose (Shavasana) with a bolster underneath my back. I don't have a bolster so I use a rolled up yoga mat. You can use pillows, etc. And I lay there for awhile - 5 + minutes. I mention it is because I didn't think much of this move until I did it. I didn't think it would be as effective as it is. It really helps "unlock" my back when it's tight.

I was able to get in 1 workout while in Georgia. We stayed at a hotel the 1st two nights because my niece didn't have enough room for us (brother and SIL stayed with her until Sunday. We stayed with her Sunday and Monday nights.) Hubby and I went to the hotel gym (which was really nice) and I ran 3 miles. Walked 1/2 mile for warmup and 1/2 mile for cooldown. It felt SO GOOD! Runners high is real, my friends! I was surprised I was able to run 3 miles since I haven't run in 3 + years. Speed was about 1/2 mile slower that when I was running regularly. But I got a great sweat and HR up there.

Today I did Amy Dixon BB 4 which was perfect! This is a good metabolic workout, with a tough 2 minute finisher, putting all the cardio moves together. This isn't a strength workout. Dumbbells are used but not for long and can't go real heavy. This is more of a cardio workout that uses some weights for metabolic moves. I did think it was funny when Amy said, "if you need to grab water at any time grab a towel”. Huh?!? Ok...
I finished with 5 Parks Yoga Leg Strength & Flexibility Yoga Class, which I really liked.

BTW, Caroline is starting her 3rd (and last I think) EPIC series Jan 3rd. I'm planning on doing it. Or at least parts of it.

I'll try to catch up more later! Just wanted to pop in and say hi! Hugs everyone!
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-21, 08:34 PM  
Mickey12

Manley so glad you had an enjoyable time with your family. It’s really important. Kudos on the 3 mile run too. Why did you stop running? Do you think you’ll get back to it? I never enjoyed running. I tried to ease into it when I was young and I just never clicked with it. I enjoyed floor aerobics and step aerobics so much, with all the variety of moves. (and still do) Running just felt hard and repetitive to me.

Tonight I did 10 minute solutions, 5 day fit mix with Amy Bento. I got this one for Christmas so it was a new one for me. It was fun, tons of variety and moderate work.

Is anyone watching Succession on HBO? I binged watched the first two seasons and just finished the third, current season. I just started watching Six Feet Under. This was on the air about 20 years ago. It’s really good.

Tags
watulan check-in