Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-16-21, 04:15 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Day 5

I did Ashley Turner's Element Yoga for Weight Loss.

This is a virgin workout for me, and I wanted to finally do it since I ordered a another of her workouts from Mary recently.

I really liked this one! It's 50 minutes in length (which doesn't feel that long.) Ashley is a good instructor with a calming voice and very down to earth style. It is well instructed (via voiceover) and music and setting is very nice. I heard what sounded a bit like a Spanish guitar toward the midway point, but nothing obtrusive or jarring. The pace is relaxed and Ashley suggests modifications for some of the poses (easier or harder.) She usually begins with the simple version of a pose and you progress to more, if that's where you're at. She's really great, and it makes me feel better about getting something else from her. I think I ordered her Element 5 Days of Yoga DVD, so that's broken into smaller chunks. This seems suitable for all fitness levels, though more advanced peeps might feel it's too slow moving, if they want a more rigorous practice. This is a goldilocks yoga for me. ;-)

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 05:43 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
Hi Pat,

Come on in and join us!!! I'd just start with your Day 1 and continue from there. It's possible folks will want to continue on past the 20 Days/20 Instructors, too! It's never too late and the more the merrier!
Pat, I really like this theme too. I'm definitely continuing next month also. This is motivating me to go through my old workouts and decide which ones to get rid of.

Day 6
#7 / Keli Roberts / WHFN Strong Bear (dust bunny)
First workout of the challenge that I had to Joni O ! I used to like WHFN but my tastes must've changed. This was just too much choreography with getting up and down and changing patterns. It hurt my head. Give me simple repetition like Jessica Smith! And there was too much wasted time with setting up the equipment and explaining the moves. Life's too short to wait on an explanation of a hover-squat.

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 06:09 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
I'm a bit behind. Spent most of the day on the road yesterday, so no time for a workout I got back so late.

Today was busy (and stressful) so got something in before bed. I did...

Alanna Zabel's Element Beginner Level Yoga for Toning, Flexibility and Stress Release.

This DVD is fairly new-to-me, so I hadn't done the Stress Release practice yet!

Alanna's yoga is very meditative, positive and life affirming. Instead of speaking during the practice about the poses you're doing, she talks more about what you should be thinking and feeling during the session. I have other PM practices I prefer to this one, but (the few poses that were done) were held for a good length of time. The Toning and Flexibility sections are better, IIRC.

Another point to add....Alanna is a talker. I'm not sure I want to hear so much of her right before bed. During the day, might be another story. ;-)
It's nice to see you back here!
Old 07-16-21, 06:15 PM  
Karla25

Day 6
Gilad: Vol. 2 Tone Every Inch

This one has been sitting on a shelf for at least 2 years. Egads! The time goes by so quickly. I thought this would be a total body workout, but it is only an upper body workout using light weights and tubing. There’s no ab work either.
However, I liked the workout and will do it again. This won't be a regular workout, but one to mix things up sometimes.

So far, I am really enjoying this challenge. It's been nice to get away from doing mostly the same instructors.
Old 07-16-21, 06:49 PM  
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
Pat, I really like this theme too. I'm definitely continuing next month also. This is motivating me to go through my old workouts and decide which ones to get rid of.
Yeah, I need to finish going through my dust bunnies and virgins and pitch what I don't want.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 08:44 PM  
SherBear

Day 6 Gin Miller
Power Abs medicine ball workout

I don't remember ever doing this. I'm sure I bought it because of Intense Moves. That WO is in my Top 3 of all time. And I wanted more Gin magic.

Pluses
Gin - She makes me smile. Inspirational words, great instruction, and her personality.
Nice stretches at times, like after push-ups you go into child pose. ahhh

Minuses
There was some weird camera work going on. Showing an inset of Gins feet while she was doing jumping jacks and running, or a side view when the moves were in performed in front of her. It was distracting and not needed.

I used a 6lb med ball (finally I got to use it!). I can see where you would need different weights (aka buy more equipment). Some moves were not challenging using the same weight for everything.

It clocks in around 35 minutes, I will do this again as an add on to another workout.
SherBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-21, 09:41 PM  
bubbles76

Awww Kitten sorry you don't like that 10MS Yoga. I have it and liked it, but it's been awhile since I tried it.

Day 6 - Denise Austin Burn Fat Fast Cardio Blast - I didn't feel like working out today, so Day 6 almost didn't happen. However, I picked an instructor that most people say has a sunny personality. I've only ever done two other Denise Austin workouts and I enjoyed them. This one, although it got the job done, I did not really enjoy. I don't think it was my mood either. Off in the donate pile it goes!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 06:58 AM  
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Awww Kitten sorry you don't like that 10MS Yoga. I have it and liked it, but it's been awhile since I tried it.

Thanks, Bubbles.

Day 7 virginish The Firm pump, jump, 'n jab.

Virginish because it was Joni O'd the one and only time I tried it. Whelp. I made it 8 whole minutes before quitting. First of all, Firm instructors have a bad habit of cueing as they are doing a move. Second, there was a lot of lunges. Lunges with overhead presses. A move I hate so much, I am going to start calling them Voldemorts. Added to the get rid of pile.

Pros: Kelsie I did really like her personality.

Cons: Voldemorts.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 01:26 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Day 6

Today was Denise Austin's Hot Body Yoga (Yoga Fit and Yoga Sculpt.)

I just got this one used (thanks to a recent GD thread) asking if there were other yoga workout that used weights, like this one! Denise is usually hit or miss for me and I never reach for her workouts, but I enjoyed both of these workouts.
  • Yoga Sculpt uses weights from one to five pounds.
  • Classroom setting with backgrounders in colorful outfits.
  • Denise is encouraging and does equal reps on both sides.
  • Pace is not rushed with weights in hand while doing poses.
  • Pleasant overall workouts.
  • Keeper for me!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-21, 02:12 PM  
jetlitis

DAY 7 (July 17, 2021) virgin

2010 (Rebekah Sturkie & Emily Welsh)

The Firm Target Toning Zero-in-Ten
  • Bikini Body Blaze (cardio) 10m
  • Fearless Arms (arms/cardio) 10m
  • ABS-olute CORE (abs/cardio) 10m
I did 3 of the 5 routines. I will do Lean Legs & Bun Burn another time. I'm not sure how I feel about this workout so far. Lots of jumping, plyo moves, burpees, mountain climbers, so I had to do a ton of modifying. This is unlike any of the other Firm DVDs that I own (I prefer the earlier Firms.) I will probably do this workout a few more times before deciding. Each 10 minute routine may work better for me as an add-on.
jetlitis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dustbunnies, new instructors, rotation ideas, virgins