Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-21, 01:48 PM  
jusca

I use a cooler and pack my food. If I absolutely have to eat out, I opt for steamed vegetables without dressings/oil and grilled meats.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-21, 01:52 PM  
jusca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
THIS !! Hot Logic Food Warmer. You can prepare a regular meal, put it in this, plugs into your car, and you have fresh, warm food. There is something magical about it, your food does not taste "leftover", and it keeps it a safe 165 degrees. I have two. I can't recommend it highly enough. It has saved me so much from eating poorly on long car drives.
thanks!!
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-21, 05:50 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Many grocery stores have healthy prepared foods. My husband is vegan and we have managed to eat well on the road. Even you aren't vegan (I'm not), restaurants with vegan choices also tend to have other healthy options.

We usually take one milk crate full of shelf-stable foods: prepackaged individual milks, peanut butter, crackers, cereal, nuts, Vigo beans and rice (vegan if you leave out the butter), some vegan soups and Nature's Early Choice bean bowls, etc. We make a game out of cruising the health food sections of grocery stores to find new discoveries (we live in a small midwestern town).

(side note: we usually take a crate of Aldi wine to save $ or not have to go to a separate liquor store like some states require-ha!)

Qdoba or Chipotle are 2 restaurants we do not have nearby so they are a treat for us since they have yummy vegan options.

Apps I have found useful:

google maps-search for truck stops, grocery stores or vegan restaurant options

Happy Cow-Vegan, vegetarian or "options" restaurants--user reported restaurants

Truck stop apps--Loves, Pilot, Trucksmart

iExit--this app shows you what is at the upcoming exits on an interstate. For a small fee you can upgrade to pro and see gas prices also. You can also search by topic such as Chipotle , Hotels, Food, Family Friendly Bathrroms---very handy app.
Old 12-31-21, 09:10 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm so glad you asked this question. It's been so long since I've done much travel I'm sure I've lost my mojo.

Sandwiches that freeze well tend to hold up in a cooler pretty well if they're in an airtight container. I'm a fan of cream cheese, black olive and pecan. Those are quite sturdy and filling. I also like the fact that it doesn't have any sort of strong odor. Sometimes when I travel I just need to be careful about that sort of thing.

Another thing to do is to wrap sandwiches in a layer of damp paper towel, then seal in an airtight container or bag. The extra moisture helps keep the bread soft.

Do convenience stores let you use their microwave for home cooked foods? I was thinking of something like burritos you make yourself?

My primary need seems to be fresh water, so I make a jug of ice water. It's handier if it has a good spout so you can refill your driving cup when you stop.
Old 01-02-22, 03:00 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I also like the fact that it doesn't have any sort of strong odor. Sometimes when I travel I just need to be careful about that sort of thing.
This. A few years ago I flew cross-country several times on Jet Blue so lots of people packed meals. There was always at least one tuna sandwich on board that overstayed its welcome.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snacks