Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-17, 01:00 PM  
katmom

I will be 64 in September. For the past 8-12 weeks, I have been doing 2-3 sessions of aerobic weight training primarily using KCM. Sometimes I do 2 days of aerobic weight training and 1 day of kettlebell training (Lauren Brooks usually) or heavy lifting. Regardless of the type of resistance training, I use weights heavy for me and my injuries. Old injuries are cranky shoulders, old whiplash injury and low back (ruptured L5 disc about 35 years ago). I also have some arthritis in these areas as well as my hands. Depending on how I feel that morning, I may do the cardio segments high impact, low impact, or a combination of the two impact levels. Following these sessions, I add a 10-20 minute flexibility session (stretch/yoga).

I typically manage to get a 1 mile walk 4 days a week. The other 3 days, I schedule a 40-80 minute yoga practice. Yogadownload.com is generally my most used subscription for these.
Old 04-08-17, 07:44 PM  
lorajc

Wow, what an inspiring thread! I'm 58, also a Big Bang Theory Fan! I also have had some bad years with one serious injury after another and have been trying to get healthy...Still trying to heal here. Prior to the past year or so, I was doing a LOT more, but recently mostly Kundalini Yoga, and Beginners Hatha Yoga. I'm trying to make myself do cardio again, when my body and cardio hating mind lets me... Although working on that....Walking, gliding and such. Right now weights bother me but I love them so I hope to get back to them. Also have been trying to add in Pilates Reformer work.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 07:55 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
am 67 and have had a terrible heart breaking year and some serious injuries. so for the past 5 months I have been doing jane Adams Gentle yoga and Yoga for seniors. i do 1.5 hours in the morning. I like to do another complementary Lee Holden or some ppilates that I can handle in the afternoon. I also lay on the floor at night if I am watching tv with my band and pilates circle, or do some stuff on a chair .
well, I have had a tough time. I was doing the Firm, fitPrimes, Jillian -you name it. I loved cardio and weights. love my firm girls.
surprising, I feel much better and have had some very nnice results from the yoga and pilates.
good luck ! the boomers do not give up easily.
Sending you (((hugs))) too Donna.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-17, 08:38 PM  
Lannette

I'll be 62 in June. I had some pretty miserable hip, low back, SIJ issues stemming from a fall. I'm happy to say they're pretty much gone!

I've been doing Callanetics, pretty much exclusively since late September. (Carolyne, I love the Express workouts too!)
I teach light weight sequences two days a week and I've recently added rebounding and some elliptical intervals. I'm toying with branching out with a little Pilates.

I hike and cross country ski too. There are so many workouts I've enjoyed but I'm enjoying Callanetics so much right now I don't seem to reach for anything else.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-17, 06:47 AM  
killoffsonny

I'm soon to be 63. I mostly stick to pilates and sometimes I'll do yoga. I bounce on my Jump Sport a few times a week and walk on the treadmill at my gym now and then. Its not the workouts I used to do. I have found I can no longer do barre because it really hurts my knees. I stopped doing step aerobics five years ago but I still see women my age doing it. I no longer do Zumba. I just do what I can and try to avoid injuries so I won't have to be put under the knife............if I can help it.
Old 04-10-17, 10:49 AM  
psupam

Smile

I'm 67 and have bad knee arthritis (shoulders and hands too) and my cardio is Zumba and step (I keep both low impact); strength training mostly the FIRM.
psupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-17, 01:49 PM  
Judy W.

Donna, I'm sending you a hug, my friend! I'm sorry you've had so many challenges lately, and am also whispering a prayer for sunnier days ahead for you.

At 67 1/2, and afflicted with knees that seem to get stiffer every day, I still do the following:
-- most BSS and Pink Firms, using the 8 inch segment for leg press;
-- a few Classic Firms, and I love the Basics!
-- Several WHFNs;
-- Jessica Smith, dvds and YouTube workouts. She's great.
-- Weight Watchers Punch and Time Crunch sets with Stephanie Huckabee;
-- Weight Watchers Ultimate Dance Party with Ilyse Baker;
-- Country Heat, really fun!
-- Zumba Country, Transformation and Incredible Results sets, Zumba Gold (pretty light weight);
-- Step Aerobics with Gilad, Christi Taylor (many times doing the basic option these days), Jenny Ford;
-- Ellen Barrett;
-- Jane Fonda's recent Prime Time cardio as well as her classic Low Impact and Complete workouts;
-- Petra Kolber step and dance workouts;
-- Angie Miller;
and there are others too.

I also walk almost every day; I'm fortunate to be by a Skyway, so I can walk all year round, even in Big Bad Minnesota in the winter!

It does frustrate me that in spite of everything, my balance and flexibility seem to deteriorate. However, 20 years ago I lost close to 200 pounds and have kept it off! So I suspect my body just can't forgive me for carrying all that extra weight for so long. I can only imagine how bad it would be if I weren't exercising!

I still find joy in moving every day, and I wish the same to all my fellow vintage boomer ladies!

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-17, 08:50 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

I am 66. I do yoga, Pilates, light cardio (walking and hiking) and lift light weights. I try to do something most days, thinking consistency is what is most important.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-17, 11:47 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I really love this thread, so many women so active and dedicated to exercise well into late 50s and 60s.

Donna, I want to send hugs to you over the past tough year you've had. Hoping things are on the upswing.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-17, 10:39 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I will soon be 61.

Yoga is my bedrock. I do yoga at least 5 days a week for an hour a day. Some days I do less intense yoga practices but always includes at least 2 tough practices each week. I ride my bike a lot for errands and exercise. I walk, and I also lift moderate weights. I'm thinking of taking a spinning class once a week and would like to try a Pilates class.

I have bad knees and just saw a sports medicine doctor. He was very pleased at my activity level--one of the people with him was a PT intern who said that she hoped she'd be as active as I am when she is my age. The doctor said my knees were in the twilight zone--too much wear for arthroscopic surgery but not nearly enough for a joint replacement. I was given an NSAID gel to rub on my knees, and I'll be getting injections of artificial synovial fluid in both knees. These things, especially the injections, should help the grinding and pain considerably.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boomers