Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-23, 04:41 PM  
Gams

I’m curious about how these conversations start. No one ever talks about exercise with me except my mom and sister.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-23, 04:47 PM  
Leonana

I usually get no response from medical professionals when I fill out the intake form on how often I exercise. Either they don't care, or they don't believe me. Maybe they are so used to chastising patients to exercise, they don't know what to say when you do. You'd think they'd at least offer some positive encouragement.
Old 08-09-23, 05:03 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I usually get no response from medical professionals when I fill out the intake form on how often I exercise.
My experience is that they don't even read those forms. I've been tempted to write something really weird there to check.

Also (my experience) is that doctors don't even care. I have seen the same family doctor for 10 years and have told her about my history/struggles with disordered eating and compulsive exercise. Yet, she will still recommend exercise to me and once she told me it would be good for me to lose ten pounds without even looking at me (just looked at my chart/BMI). I have always needed LESS exercise, certainly not more.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-23, 05:08 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I haven't had that happen recently because we moved to North Carolina and I don't know anyone here. But when we lived in the DC area, it would happen periodically. I would jump into the whole “no, I already regularly exercise and am fairly educated about fitness” etc. thing with both feet. I'd give them so much detail that they would be sorry they ever opened their mouth. I know this isn't for everyone, but it always gave me a feeling of satisfaction to see their eyes roll into the back of their heads as I talked and talked and talked...
Love it, lol!

I’ve stopped caring what people think. I know that exercise has been a daily activity that I look forward to and enjoy for so many years.

I’ve looked fit and not so fit after menopause. If people ask, I’ll talk...but you all are my “people” that I talk to about exercise/workouts.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-23, 07:31 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I’m curious about how these conversations start. No one ever talks about exercise with me except my mom and sister.
I normally don’t talk about exercise with people. This was in a conversation about my daughter taking some dual enrollment college clases next semester, and how I was driving her until she was comfortable with the schedule/route, and how I signed myself and my younger dd up for fitness Bootcamp near the campus to kill some time.

I don’t remember what the comment was, and I probably read too much into it…I don’t think the person was intending insult at all. I was just insulted by the assumption that I’m a non-exerciser.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-23, 08:38 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
My experience is that they don't even read those forms. I've been tempted to write something really weird there to check.
Now there’s a thought lol.

Quote:
Also (my experience) is that doctors don't even care. I have seen the same family doctor for 10 years and have told her about my history/struggles with disordered eating and compulsive exercise. Yet, she will still recommend exercise to me and once she told me it would be good for me to lose ten pounds without even looking at me (just looked at my chart/BMI). I have always needed LESS exercise, certainly not more.

Erica
I’ve noticed they don’t read my history. The NP asked me why I gained 30 pounds in the last year. If she had read my chart, she would have seen that I had extreme anxiety a year ago and couldn’t eat, and once I recovered, I gained the weight back. To top it off, my current BMI is considered normal, I was too thin last year.
Old 08-09-23, 08:42 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Now there’s a thought lol.

I’ve noticed they don’t read my history. The NP asked me why I gained 30 pounds in the last year. If she had read my chart, she would have seen that I had extreme anxiety a year ago and couldn’t eat, and once I recovered, I gained the weight back. To top it off, my current BMI is considered normal, I was too thin last year.
I am so sorry that happened to you. I had postpartum depression and the doctor who prescribed my medication for that also prescribed my thyroid medication. After I had bloodwork done and saw him, he said "you really need to be on thyroid medication." I told him I already was and he was prescribing it! He apologized, but that is just ridiculous!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-23, 08:52 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I am so sorry that happened to you. I had postpartum depression and the doctor who prescribed my medication for that also prescribed my thyroid medication. After I had bloodwork done and saw him, he said "you really need to be on thyroid medication." I told him I already was and he was prescribing it! He apologized, but that is just ridiculous!
Thanks! I’m also sorry about your postpartum depression.

Making mistakes like that is scary! We definitely need to be proactive and make sure we’re getting the right care.
Old 08-10-23, 02:07 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I had postpartum depression and the doctor who prescribed my medication for that also prescribed my thyroid medication. After I had bloodwork done and saw him, he said "you really need to be on thyroid medication." I told him I already was and he was prescribing it! He apologized, but that is just ridiculous!

This is why I hate going to the doctor. So much time and money invested and I almost always get terrible (or even dangerous) advice.

Erica
Old 08-10-23, 02:08 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I was just insulted by the assumption that I’m a non-exerciser.
I would have been too.

Erica

Tags
bmi, diet culture, doctors, results