Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-22, 03:01 PM  
sherry7899

Flash from.the past : no buy challenges

Remember how every January there would be a no buy/low buy thread for those of us to try to cut back on spending on workouts? I miss those days! I miss there being a reason to even have those threads. Now there are so few dvds released that these threads are not needed.

I ordered 4 DVDs from Collage since they are having a 25 percent off sale (code is holiday25). I think those are the only DVDs I bought this year except for one Jessica Smith dvd. I used to buy five DVDs in a month or two!

I was watching a low spend for 2023 video on you tube and spending categories were mentioned. That made me think of the challenges we used to have here, talking each other in or out of purchases.

I sincerely miss those threads.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-22, 03:13 PM  
alisoncooks

Oh my gosh, yes! And how almost no one ever stuck to them because some awesome program or dvd would get released.

I haven’t bought an exercise dvd in ages. Years? Between my rower and YouTube, I’m perfectly content. I’ve looked at new releases, but I know what I do (and mostly don’t) like…and I pass.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-22, 03:22 PM  
Vantreesta

I think I bought more DVDs this year than I did last year! I took advantage of sales at Total Fitness, Collage (first order since they changed owners in 2014!) and Cathe plus all the ones I find at thrift stores.

But I totally agree that it's a bummer there aren't new DVDs coming out all the time to get excited about. I remember having a plan set for what to do next and then all the shiny things had me jumping ship on my plans before I even started!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-22, 03:38 PM  
fanofladyvols

I never participated in those threads (to the best of my knowledge) but I enjoyed reading them

My concern over workouts being OOP and hard to find has actually driven my purchases the last two years. For years, other things were pushed ahead of me buying workouts. Not anymore! Now I buy things I have always wanted to try.
Some I waited too long to acquire (even by trading). I have definitely enjoyed discovering new favorites from old videos.

If I'd had to do it over again, I'd have put myself first every now and then so I could have had fun riding some of the bandwagons over the years.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-22, 03:53 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
I never participated in those threads (to the best of my knowledge) but I enjoyed reading them

My concern over workouts being OOP and hard to find has actually driven my purchases the last two years. For years, other things were pushed ahead of me buying workouts. Not anymore! Now I buy things I have always wanted to try.
Some I waited too long to acquire (even by trading). I have definitely enjoyed discovering new favorites from old videos.

If I'd had to do it over again, I'd have put myself first every now and then so I could have had fun riding some of the bandwagons over the years.
Are there things you still want that you cat find? Maybe someone here could help. It stinks when things we used to be able to get easily are now being sold for crazy prices.

Old 12-17-22, 04:58 PM  
fanofladyvols

Thanks for asking, Sherry. I haven't given up. I keep asking on the exchange thread and Request the wealth. And I always read both to see if I can help someone else out because there are other folks on here still searching for hard to find items.

So you never know!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-22, 07:05 PM  
Buzzer

Oh my goodness!! I was doing a search for something, and one of those threads came up! I think I still have a hangover from those days!! HA!

As you can see from my tag line thingie, I was a dropout. Kali, RedPanda and I were horrible! I don't think I bought as much in my lifetime as I did during the no buy challenges! I do know I have cardio karate from then. I think I did one workout, and thought "what was I thinking??" and haven't done it since. I still have it though!

I loved the no buy challenges. I don't think I ever laughed out loud at my computer as much as I did during those threads. I think my credit card was constantly smoking. I will say that it brought the three of us closer together

I remember someone coming into the thread all upset saying that we were destroying the no buy challenge with our enabling, and kinda chewing us out. I understood where they were coming from, but it was so much fun! It was like a party thread. I sure miss that! I don't miss all the buying though!!

I miss those kinds of threads for sure
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-22, 02:19 AM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post

I could have written this as well! I think I’ve bought more dvds this year than I ever have. I’m trying to pick up all those dvds that are hard to find that I’ve been wishing and hoping for.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-22, 06:33 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer View Post
Oh my goodness!! I was doing a search for something, and one of those threads came up! I think I still have a hangover from those days!! HA!

As you can see from my tag line thingie, I was a dropout. Kali, RedPanda and I were horrible! I don't think I bought as much in my lifetime as I did during the no buy challenges! I do know I have cardio karate from then. I think I did one workout, and thought "what was I thinking??" and haven't done it since. I still have it though!

I loved the no buy challenges. I don't think I ever laughed out loud at my computer as much as I did during those threads. I think my credit card was constantly smoking. I will say that it brought the three of us closer together

I remember someone coming into the thread all upset saying that we were destroying the no buy challenge with our enabling, and kinda chewing us out. I understood where they were coming from, but it was so much fun! It was like a party thread. I sure miss that! I don't miss all the buying though!!

I miss those kinds of threads for sure
Buzzer,

thanks for replying! I miss Red Panda-such entertaining posts! I thought it was hysterical how the threads would turn into enabling threads.

I actually found a notebook where I'd listed workouts I had bought and that I wanted to buy. It was from when I was working customer service, and they were so strict there. You were not allowed to go on the internet or read a book between calls if there wasn't any paperwork to do. I ended up starting the workout lists to occupy my brain! A co-worker got fired because they monitored our internet use and they found he was searching for jobs in between calls. They actually sent a memo out (on paper) telling the whole department that is why he was fired. It was really stupid of him to do that. We all knew they watched our internet use. Anyway.....memories!

Old 12-18-22, 09:46 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Remember how every January there would be a no buy/low buy thread for those of us to try to cut back on spending on workouts? I miss those days! I miss there being a reason to even have those threads. Now there are so few dvds released that these threads are not needed.
it morphed into a check-in. eventually, that check-in was renamed to "declutter". i am a lifetime member!

and although there are no new releases on DVD, i have purchased quite a few DVDs (singles and sets!!) this past year that i'd pined for in the past that are now easier to acquire and/or more affordable on the pocketbook.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decluttering, large collection, no buy