Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-22, 08:24 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaenchanted View Post
This is my feeling about most of her workouts- I felt repped to death. Fifteen years ago I would have loved these workouts because they kinda remind me of when I using Cathe's workouts which also also felt like tons of reps.

I know she has lots of fans and a lot of people get angry or fanatical whenever someone has constructive criticism. But, I just don't don't love her programming. I vastly prefer Vera Laro, who has a similar vibe, but the workouts never feel like overkill.
Back in my younger years, I was very passionate about certain instructors and did the same thing. I was a little "fanatical." I'm older and wiser now...LOL! Heather Robertson fans are the same way. I think the vibe is to find an instructor you jam with and workout with them. The fans remind me of how Cathe fans used to be! I've checked out Vera Laro and while I like the looks of a lot of her workouts, I have not felt inclined to do one of her programs yet. I think I'm a bit over the metabolic training so many instructors offer these days...LOL! The Iron Series seems to be exactly what I'm looking for right now. I never dreamed there would be so many workouts on YouTube that were actually great workouts or that there would be an entire program on YouTube that I would want to follow.
Old 04-09-22, 08:25 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I did Day 2 Upper Body Chest, Back, Shoulders this morning. I did an iFit power walking workout on my treadmill before so didn’t need a warm up. But I previewed her 5 minute warm up and it looks great to add before the workouts.

This is what I’ve been looking for as far as a weight program. Slower pace, heavy weights, uncomplicated moves, and about 30 minutes....perfect! I can fit in cardio, extra abs, or a stretch when I have time.
I did the 5 minute warm up before legs. It was very nice and got the job done in 5 minutes.

I'm with you, this is what I've been looking for but I didn't know what I was looking for until I saw it!
Old 04-10-22, 02:53 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
I vastly prefer Vera Laro, who has a similar vibe, but the workouts never feel like overkill.
How are Vera's workouts different? I've been using Caroline's workouts since 2020 and just discovered Vera but haven't done any of her workouts yet.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 09:43 AM  
ellaenchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
How are Vera's workouts different? I've been using Caroline's workouts since 2020 and just discovered Vera but haven't done any of her workouts yet.

Erica
The intervals are shorter and I lift heavy and do about 8 reps. Just overall less reps of the same exercise or variation. I find the overall programming of exercises more balanced. It is also why I do Move with Cee (formerly Lift with Cee).

Again, just a personal preference. I did a Caroline workout from one of teh Epics and it had so.many. squats. And then it ended with a 100 rep bodyweight squat finisher. I find many of her workouts have lots of reps and that is no longer my style. It reminded me of when I use to do 60-70minute Cateh workouts which never quite got me teh strength or aesthetics I wanted. My view of lifting and completely changed once I did CLX and other higher weight/lower rep workouts. If I do high reps, it is because I am working on endurance and I use much lower weight or bodyweight only. If I did Caroline's programs I would approach it more like an endurance programs and use lower weight.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 09:49 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
The intervals are shorter and I lift heavy and do about 8 reps. Just overall less reps of the same exercise or variation. I find the overall programming of exercises more balanced. It is also why I do Move with Cee (formerly Lift with Cee).

Again, just a personal preference. I did a Caroline workout from one of teh Epics and it had so.many. squats. And then it ended with a 100 rep bodyweight squat finisher. I find many of her workouts have lots of reps and that is no longer my style. It reminded me of when I use to do 60-70minute Cateh workouts which never quite got me teh strength or aesthetics I wanted. My view of lifting and completely changed once I did CLX and other higher weight/lower rep workouts. If I do high reps, it is because I am working on endurance and I use much lower weight or bodyweight only. If I did Caroline's programs I would approach it more like an endurance programs and use lower weight.
Thank you! I've also been interested in Lift with Cee (didn't know she changed it) but haven't tried her workouts.

I do modify some of Caroline's workouts to make them work better for me. For example, sometimes she'll do a full workout of different variations of pushups or a full workout of just working shoulders. For me, that's overkill and I modify or just skip those workouts.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 10:56 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
I did Iron Series Day 1: Legs. I LOVED this workout! This is the type of weight workout that I always wanted from Cathe. I used 30"s (only twice I think), 25's, and 15's. The pace allows you to work on form and to focus on the muscles being worked. My heart rate got quite high a few times and I took extra time to rest. I am just getting back into a routine after a couple of months off and on. I wanted to do a cardio workout after, but I was too tired after this workout. This workout and the workouts that I've previewd in week 1, will allow one to increase weights over time. Super excited for the Iron Series!
I previewed this workout and like it very much. I, too have been looking for a slow paced lower body workout using dumbells where I can really heavy up over time. Going slow like that really allows you to work on your form if you struggle with that on faster reps (like I do).
Old 04-10-22, 08:03 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I think I will try Caroline's new series. I like her and Lift with Cee although I haven't been consistent with either of them. This new series from Caroline looks good though.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 05:25 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I think I will try Caroline's new series. I like her and Lift with Cee although I haven't been consistent with either of them. This new series from Caroline looks good though.
Iron Series is my first CG series and so far I am loving it. I was not looking forward to today's workout. I did day 3: Glute workout, but I ended up really liking it. Oh my bum! That finisher was killer! For me this series has been superb so far. I DO prefer lifting to any other form of exercise, so there's that! I've also done a few Lift with Cee.
Old 04-11-22, 05:26 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I previewed this workout and like it very much. I, too have been looking for a slow paced lower body workout using dumbells where I can really heavy up over time. Going slow like that really allows you to work on your form if you struggle with that on faster reps (like I do).
Yes! The pace is perfect. I like how she often starts after the timer and is in no rush. Form over quantity! I don't feel like I have to keep up.
Old 04-12-22, 04:46 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I just did Day 5 Arms and Abs, which was great! The ab section was non-stop and a great little add on to other workouts. I fell a little behind schedule but like being able to listen to her intro the night before and preview the exercise list. If I do it as she’s releasing, I don’t have time in the morning to do it since I work out before work.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caroline girvan, girvan, peripheral heart action, youtube channels, youtube instructors