Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-13-22, 11:42 AM  
Sollamyn

Gluteus Medius Workouts?

Hi! If you don't want to read my long-winded story, FF to my question, below!

For the past few years, I've been dealing with pain on the sides of my hips when I walk (I don't run) or do low-impact cardio continuously for more than 2-5 minutes (depends on what I'm doing and how much effort I'm putting out. After a couple of years of suffering and not getting any relief on my own, I consulted my GP, who sent me off for physical therapy. (My problem is not arthritis or anything bone-related.) Now, I am really pro-p.t., having used it successfully for several different issues. However, I did not get any relief this time around re: hip pain. After breaking my ankle in August of 2020, I couldn't address the issue at all, but slowly over the past few months, I am finally getting to where I feel like I'm working out "normally" (with a few exceptions due to a lack of normal flexibility in my right ankle, plus some balance issues, both of which I have been working on and will continue to do so).

I've been watching some Youtube videos about hip pain and several of them say that weak gluteus medius muscles can cause hip pain. Most of these videos are done by physical therapists or body builder/strength trainers (like Athlean X), so they basically demonstrate a few exercises that you can do at home to correct the issue. I've tried these, and they seem promising.

My question is: Do you know of any workouts (not just exercise demonstrations) that address weak gluteus medius muscles? Maybe a lower-body workout that includes exercises for the gluteus medius? Or do you have any suggestions for exercises I can do at home that have helped your own hip pain?

Thanks,
Donna
Old 01-13-22, 12:09 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I have been dealing with pain on the side & back of my hip that was triggered mainly by walking, especially uphill. Strengthening my glute med has definitely helped a lot. Sorry I can’t recommend any workouts, I’ve done specific exercises from my PT.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 02:00 PM  
Venus

I've noticed improvement in my lower body with these lower body workouts:

Brazil Butt Lift
Winsor Pilates Buns & Thighs
Gaiam Strong Knees
Bret Contreras glute workout

I haven't tried to target just the gluteus medius, so these are more for the entire lower body.

I did search for gluteus medius exercises to see what type of exercises target the muscle and found a couple of workouts by Fitness Blender (I'm sure they have more!). I haven't tried these specific workouts, but I've tried others by Fitness Blender.

The description for this workout says, "This workout uses a blend of bodyweight exercises, Pilates influenced moves and glute activation exercises to thoroughly target the butt and thighs - especially the smaller muscles, specifically gluteus medius."

Fitness Blender 20 min Butt and Thigh Workout - Glute Activation Workout

This workout targets the gluteus maximus, medius, and minimus:

Fitness Blender Natural Brazilian Butt Lift Round 2 - 25 min

If you list some of the exercises you've found promising, it may help to recommend some workouts that include those specific moves.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 02:14 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
I've noticed improvement in my lower body with these lower body workouts:

Brazil Butt Lift
Winsor Pilates Buns & Thighs
Gaiam Strong Knees
Bret Contreras glute workout

I haven't tried to target just the gluteus medius, so these are more for the entire lower body.

I did search for gluteus medius exercises to see what type of exercises target the muscle and found a couple of workouts by Fitness Blender (I'm sure they have more!). I haven't tried these specific workouts, but I've tried others by Fitness Blender.

The description for this workout says, "This workout uses a blend of bodyweight exercises, Pilates influenced moves and glute activation exercises to thoroughly target the butt and thighs - especially the smaller muscles, specifically gluteus medius."

Fitness Blender 20 min Butt and Thigh Workout - Glute Activation Workout

This workout targets the gluteus maximus, medius, and minimus:

Fitness Blender Natural Brazilian Butt Lift Round 2 - 25 min

If you list some of the exercises you've found promising, it may help to recommend some workouts that include those specific moves.
Wow, thanks, Venus! I will look up those workouts you mentioned. Sometimes I just don't think to use Google on my own. VF has been my "go to" fitness-related search engine for over 21 years!

So far, the only exercises I have really tried, besides the ones my physical therapist assigned (and which didn't help) have been from an AthleanX video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pKKnVg1hzE&t=35s

These exercises seems to be a bit different than my p.t. ones, and they seemed to give some immediate relief at first, but now I'm wondering if I'm doing them correctly because they don't always have the same effect. I guess I just need to give it more time.

Donna
Old 01-13-22, 02:50 PM  
Vantreesta

Single leg bridges and clams help me, for sure. I second Winsor Bun & Thighs, and I also use Caroline Jordan's glute and hamstring workouts on YouTube often. Let me know if you want those links.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 04:27 PM  
bfit

I am rehabbing from a broken foot, and my PT is working on gluteus medius too. I am doing sidesteps with a band around my thighs just above the knees and also the old lying leg lefts where you lay on your side and lift your leg up and down. I do that one with a band too. A loop band works best. For the lying leg lift you have to be sure to do it properly with your leg not too far forward of your body because then you start working your quads and hip flexors instead. A really good lower body workout that targets the hips is in the Pregnancy Workout with Andrea Orbeck. It's only 12 minutes long (out of an hour long workout), but it's really good, and I think it's worth it to buy the entire DVD for that 12 minutes alone. You don't have to be pregnant to benefit. It also uses a loop band.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 04:47 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

My glute med focused exercises:
~Clams with a resistance loop - form is so important with this one, not a deep bend in the knees & top hip forward to keep the knees stacked
~Bridges with a resistance loop, feet mat width apart
~Monster walks with a resistance loop around the balls of my feet
~Pelvic drops on a block or a stair with ankle weights
~Glute med wall presses

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 05:52 PM  
Scorpio6

Clamshells with a weight on the top leg, also resistance bank walks. The clams will keep you out of pain.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 06:06 PM  
buffmama

https://www.youtube.com/c/AnniePilat...pist/playlists

Annie pilates physical therapist has a gluteus medius and a hip pain playlist.
Old 01-13-22, 06:18 PM  
hypnomoon

I had scar tissue removed from my med about 3.5 months ago. I did PT to strengthen it as well. I knew that the med is a stablizer muscle so it's sort of hard to isolate without other muscles jumping in to help.

I did the clam shells with resistance opening up with a loop and then squeezing a ball between my knees.

I did bridges but with no tools. I had to press in hard on my heels and SLOWLY lift up. Once I felt the quads kick it, it was time to lower. This one was super duper isolating!

I also did firewalkers with a very light band. If it's too heavy, your glutes will do the work and it wasn't with huge steps either. Feet only a little under hip width apart. Steps were only about 4 inches or so.

And, they had me do slow squats on the Reformer at about 35 to 40 degree angle as well as just flat. Toes pointed in and then toes pointed out.

One that I found on YT was a single leg squat variety. Squat to start off with and lift the leg that needs work. Slowly squat down only a bit and then touch the other foot's toes down and then tap it out to the side then back in. Lift the leg as you come back up to starting position. That one was killer too! You should hold onto something for balance.

I wish you a speedy recovery!
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bands lower body, booty bands, bret contreras, glute building, glute workouts, gluteus medius, hip pain, medius gluteus