Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-22, 02:19 PM  
AnMrsDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
Congratulations! You don't realize how important strength is until you lose it.
Exactly!! So true!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-22, 04:53 PM  
gigi

Thank you for sharing! Very encouraging!
Old 01-20-22, 02:07 AM  
fanofladyvols

AMD no thunder stealing...you posted EXACTLY what I hoped to read!

mickey12 I know it's your least favorite exercises but I'm proud of you for doing what it takes. Sometimes it's no fun getting better but the hard work is worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
P.S.: I thought it was a post about asking people how to train a kitty to be independent the lifting weights part got me curious!
LOL..you made me giggle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
This is me! Definitely my lithmus test for strength
Litmus test..what a an excellent way to describe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
These stories remind me of the 20kg (44lb) bags of bird seed I buy - they always offered to carry it to the car for me. My reply, as I hoisted it onto my shoulder, was always "Thankyou, but no. The sooner I accept your help, the sooner I'll need it." THEN I broke my shoulder - doing 180-turns at-speed on roller skates. Took a year, but I'm hoisting again.
Congratulations, Helen! I can assure you if I did 180 turns it would only be because I was tripping over my feet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I've been thinking that I might never get over this sciatica or whatever it is (but I think that's probably it), but you make me think it's possible I will heal and be able to lift kitty litter, chicken feed, or whatever it is. . Go you!!
Bee I'm a slow healer...been over 10 years since my initial injury. Lots of tears and discouragement along the way. Don't give up!

lreidgreen there are some things that my back can't do. I keep looking for ways to improve what I can and be grateful. I am not sure how you injured but I hope you continue to see progress.

lreidgreen, ChelePA, bee, Mickey 12 and Erica..I'm ready to celebrate with you anywhere along the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
The title of this thread killed me. Congratulations but please be careful! (says my inner worried Mom)
Pat I hear you loud and clear. I was fully prepared to let that bag go...no hero medals at the co-op!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Congrats!
Well, I guess I'm lazy. I probably could lift the kitty litter myself, but I let my my friend do it when he comes over. I feel no guilt about this. However it's nice to know I could do it myself if I had to. I also let him vacuum if he's willing. I feel no need to do everything myself anymore.
Jane it really is all about the frustration of wanting to and not being able.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizEMA View Post

How do you Watulans celebrate? With the cow bell? Ga-donk, ga-donk. (Well, that's me ringing it for you. How the heck do you type out cow bell sounds??)
LizEMA so glad you asked about the finer art of cowbell. It really depends on the vigor of the swing and, of course, what wrist movement you favor...mere letters can hardly translate the beauty of the cowbell.

Thank you to each of you for celebrating with me ..your posts make me smile BIG...VF is so great

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-22, 03:08 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I have a compression fracture in my back that happened a few years ago from coughing. For more than a year, I couldn't lift much. I had to ask my spouse to help me. I could hardly tie my shoes or pick up my cats. I couldn't scoop the cat boxes. I did physical therapy and a lot of standing band workouts at home. I got rid of all but one of my kettlebell workouts.

Compression fractures don't heal normally, so one (or more) vertebra will always be a wedge shape.

I worked hard on upper body strength and after several years, I can pick up my heavy cats. I found a new way to scoop the cat boxes without bending over. It never stopped hurting all the way, but I am very careful.

Err, but no 40# bags of anything for me, ever. LOL!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-22, 09:03 AM  
Rhonda

My boss and I were talking about this yesterday. I told him that I carry 50 lb salt bags down the stairs for our water softener. Hubby gets them as far as the garage and I seem to be the one to carry them down.

They are easier now than they used to be and I credit it to gaining more strength over the years.

I wish hubby would help but at least I know I can do it.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-22, 09:13 AM  
fanofladyvols

Rhonda I'm glad I don't have to carry my bags down, as opposed to up. That's harder, IMHO.

Alta my back doesn't cooperate well with bending over either. I hip hinge or squat to do anything. Congratulations to you that you are able to take care of your kitties. They're motivating workout goals.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back injury, kettlebell, kettlebells, rehab your body, results, strength building