Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-21, 10:51 AM  
Gams

OT -Christmas card complaint

I love getting photo Christmas cards and seeing how everyone’s children and grandchildren have grown, etc., but it seems like the ones I get lately have so many pictures on them that they are quite small and I can’t see much of anything. I got one from a friend yesterday and there’s one nice sized photo in the front of my friend and her boy friend and the rest of the photos are so itty bitty, I can't even tell who is in the picture. One of the photos has nine people in it, but I can’t even tell whether they are men or women let alone who they might be. Love pictures. but need to be able to SEE them!
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-21, 12:50 PM  
BunnyHop

I hear ya!

I've cut way down on the holiday cards I send, because some people will just send a photo of the entire clan. Who are they all? I've no idea, and will likely never find out.
Old 12-11-21, 02:39 PM  
Leonana

You'll have to do what I do, get out the magnifying glass, lol.
Old 12-11-21, 03:43 PM  
kat999

On Christmas cards generally, my husband and I have taken to doing what I call "reactive cards," wherein we don't send any out until we've gotten some, and then we only send them to the people who sent us one. Maybe kind of jerky of us, but truthfully, I stay in touch with people through social media so it feels wasteful in some ways to send a ton of cards to folks whose lives I already feel up-to-date with, and particularly so for anyone I already see or talk to a lot.
Old 12-11-21, 04:45 PM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

I so prefer a Christmas card to a photo card. We always send them out early enough to perhaps get some in return. I hope they bring out a smile.
Old 12-11-21, 05:38 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I got one of those today with the caption "What a year!". I gave up trying to see who was in all the pictures. Guess it was a family thing. 12 pictures. One was a wedding with about 16 people in it.

Our cards are two pictures. Hubby and me. Two cats. This year we're sending cards as we get them from others. Is that tacky? Also for some, I'm going to see you over the holidays. Do I need to send you a card?
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-21, 11:21 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

We send a holiday card with a pic (or pics) of the cat on the front and have a short little family newsletter printed on the inside but leave enough white space at the bottom to still write a few personalized sentences.

We've used Simply to Impress for the past several years (always with a 50% off coupon code). Used to buy holiday cards and special holiday printer paper and then printed out the letter on the paper, folded it up and put in the cards but it was a lot of work, formatting, and printer ink.

My mom now tracks in a spreadsheet the people she does/doesn't get responses from. After 2-3 years of no reciprocation, the person/family gets taken off the mailing list unless it's someone that's unable to reciprocate due to age, etc. She likes to wait a couple years because sometimes someone will have a difficult year (death of spouse, etc.) and may not feel up to mailing out their usual cards that year.

Spreadsheet check-the-box method as the cards come in is easy because we have a holiday letter address spreadsheet that we use to generate the address labels. When we were young, my sister and I used to be tasked with hand addressing 80+ cards. Fortunately for me, my sister had much better handwriting so did most of it. Although, I was the one who later on entered my mom's entire physical rolodex into a spreadsheet (which was no mean feat).

My mom's holiday mailing list is now down to maybe 60 or so (or less) that she mails to/keeps in touch with. I enjoy looking at (and reading) most of the cards that come in.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-21, 09:11 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Yeah we got one of those. I guess they tried to summarize their year in pictures. Skip the newsletter.

I also send reactive cards now. I am down to about 10.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-21, 09:19 AM  
donellda

I only send cards to my out of town relatives and a few friends. In the past I sent them to everyone but it just gets to be too much. Postage is crazy also.
Old 12-12-21, 09:39 AM  
donnamp

I have received the cards w/ the tons of tiny photos, too!

I used to really enjoy sending cards out, but over the years, it has just become a chore and an expense (and a waste of paper).

We have been doing the "reactive" thing as well - sending cards only to people who send them to us. With a few exceptions, as someone said above - an older person who may have trouble getting out to send cards or a person/family who we know is undergoing a challenging time.

It became somewhat silly to send cards to people we never correspond with except during the holidays.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
off topic, off-topic