Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-15, 11:09 AM  
prettyinpink

Edge Booty 2

I like Ingrid and I like the workouts.

But are we not supposed to go heavy on these?

If I go heavier, I find it impossible to keep up with the pace. The only way I can go as fast as she counts is if I use no or very light weights. It's only the weighted legs, not so much the other two workouts on the first disc. I have done the ones on the first disc several times, but not the second.

Especially on the side lunges, it feels like a back injury waiting to happen for me if I use any weight at all and "get low" that quickly. Maybe I am just old?

I find myself pausing after one round of an exercise group and just going at my own pace. But then I feel like I could have just done a workout on paper.

Any thoughts? Also, are the plyo workouts also so quick-moving?
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-15, 11:18 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I think it is tough to go really heavy on these workouts, but I go as heavy as I can. The side lunge in particular that you mentioned (I believe that's the curtsey lunge to side lunge combo?) is pretty much impossible for me to do with more than 10 lbs in each hand. Even then I sometimes will go to 8's to really get as low as I can. When I first did the workouts I tried that move with 15's, but then I discovered when I lowered the weight and went LOW on the side lunge I felt it a lot more in my glutes.

I do often fall behind the count...I often find myself doing 10 reps when Ingrid is finishing 12. You could just plan on doing fewer reps and moving on like I did the first few times I did the workouts or pause the dvd to catch up which I did the second time through.

So while these are muscle hypertrophy workouts, it's really about volume and less about going SUPER heavy, I think.
Old 09-16-15, 04:58 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I like Ingrid and I like the workouts.

But are we not supposed to go heavy on these?

If I go heavier, I find it impossible to keep up with the pace. The only way I can go as fast as she counts is if I use no or very light weights. It's only the weighted legs, not so much the other two workouts on the first disc. I have done the ones on the first disc several times, but not the second.

Especially on the side lunges, it feels like a back injury waiting to happen for me if I use any weight at all and "get low" that quickly. Maybe I am just old?

I find myself pausing after one round of an exercise group and just going at my own pace. But then I feel like I could have just done a workout on paper.

Any thoughts? Also, are the plyo workouts also so quick-moving?
Thank you for posting this! I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Yes, the "maybe I'm just too old" definitely ran through my head! I couldn't believe how fast the leg workout moved. After a ton of pausing, I ended up modifying to only 8 reps per set. That kind of bugged me because I felt like I wasn't doing the program as written and for EB, I think to get the results you should probably do it as written. In fact, it bugged me so much that I've shelved the DVDs for now. I'm sure I'll get over it and get off my high horse at some point. I will be honest and say that I find it hard to believe that the back up girls got their results with light weights, but maybe it's just a matter of body type. I had very high hopes for this set and really like the different exercises, so I do plan/hope to get back to it at some point.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-15, 01:01 PM  
prettyinpink

Well, I'm glad it isn't just me!

I wonder if the girl using the bench is actually getting the full 12 reps in every time on the lunge step ups. I use a bench and I can't get them all in in time. Maybe it is like DreamBody, where you hear the counting and wonder if there are super humans doing the workout, but if you watch them they actually aren't doing that many reps! I usually am not watching the background people much at all when I use weights, so who knows.

Oh, and another one is the excercise on weighted glutes, where you go from kneeling to a squat and back. That one, though, I think might be due to age. I don't have knee problems, but that one kills me and I have to go slower.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-16, 01:30 PM  
jazzy75

I'm doing these workouts now and I've noticed they don't use super heavy weights. I think she comments like "Wow" when one of the girls is using 20lbs for deadlifts . I have opted for some sets to go lighter than my usual - especially since we are doing 4 sets of each superset! Holding heavy weights like that for 50 minutes is hard on the forearms too.

I even take the odd set off from any weights at all - I find I can go super lower in the curtsy /side lunge sequence holding no weight so I alternate using just 12's or no weights and going low and staying low
Old 04-25-16, 02:45 PM  
LizEMA

I use my "light" leg weights; there's a fair amount of reps so I don't go super heavy, but I pick weights that are going to challenge me and make me feel it in the end. Sometimes, I start with heavier weights, do as much as I can with those, then, for the rest of the sets, go lighter.

When I did these, I was ALWAYS behind Ingrid, getting in less reps than her. (She SPEEDS through these! And, yes, I thought the same thing -- an injury waiting to happen. And, IIRC, at the same spot you pegged -- the side lunges! I think that's when I just said "screw it" and started doing my own thing. )

What I did was, I did as many reps as Ingrid but considerably slower than she did them. I worked with her through the exercise, stopped it when she was done, continued on with however many reps I had left, then resumed playback to move on to the next exercise. Sometimes, I just started the exercise with Ingrid to get the move and form down, then paused it pretty early on, did however many reps I was usually "off" by, resumed playback and did my remaining reps "with" Ingrid (again, at my slower pace).

As LindaL said, this was super annoying, and I, ultimately, felt like you did/do -- it feels more like doing a paper workout. Especially because, in the end, with all the pausing, and Ingrid's CONSTANT babble, I ended up just muting her and playing my own music through the whole thing. So, all that time working WITHOUT the DVD and my own music going, it WAS just like a paper workout.

(Seriously, though, I don't know how they go SO FAST with those exercises! Especially, if you really want to get a good range of motion and fully engage all your leg muscles. They're either Bionic or I just suck. LOL )

So, it's NOT just you.
Old 04-25-16, 03:38 PM  
noodles

I really love this set - ok love is a strong word lol! It's mentally and physically challenging even after doing these DVD's regularly since last August. It seems that the intent is to give a strong cardio effect as well in order to maybe increase calorie/ fat burn and reveal the muscle, hence the supersets X 4 for each set of exercises, therefore you cannot go super duper heavy. Just my thoughts but i do make small increments in my weight selections every so often so am making progress. I do pause the DVD's every so often to be able to get all the reps in or catch my breath. But it never fails, every single time I do the plyo leg DVD I am sore in my glutes for daaaays lol! I don't know if it's those darn curtsy lunges or what but even though I only use 8 pounds they're killer. I still do one of the leg DVDs each week but mix it in with Cathe's ICE and RWH rotation just to change things up. I will say that this set has definitely strengthened my glutes and helped reduce knee pain that was from muscle imbalances so i will continue to mix them into other rotations and have gotten used to working legs 3 times/week - which may be over kill for some people.
Jamie
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-16, 05:03 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles View Post
I really love this set - ok love is a strong word lol! It's mentally and physically challenging even after doing these DVD's regularly since last August.
I feel the same way. I've never used a set of workouts as much as I use these. I have used three of the lower body workouts and the two upper body ones regularly for 8 months now.

I do feel that I'm sacrificing form to keep up with the pace, though. I don't go as deep or as heavy as I could so that I don't fall too far behind.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-16, 07:16 PM  
jazzy75

Wow - so great to hear some long term love for this set! I'm just getting going but find them straight forward and hitting all the right muscle groups. I was thinking I need to start a sheet for notes so I remember what weights I grab for different moves. I am going lighter by far than I would for a heavy leg day but I think the lighter weight/higher rep combo is a good way to mix it up for me right now. I suppose down the road if I want to keep going with these - I could ignore her count (which is sometimes off anyway!) and do higher weight/lower reps - aiming for just 6-8 with heavier weights

Do any of you also have the first Edge Booty set?
Old 04-26-16, 10:35 AM  
Cafelattee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy75 View Post
Wow - so great to hear some long term love for this set! I'm just getting going but find them straight forward and hitting all the right muscle groups. I was thinking I need to start a sheet for notes so I remember what weights I grab for different moves. I am going lighter by far than I would for a heavy leg day but I think the lighter weight/higher rep combo is a good way to mix it up for me right now. I suppose down the road if I want to keep going with these - I could ignore her count (which is sometimes off anyway!) and do higher weight/lower reps - aiming for just 6-8 with heavier weights

Do any of you also have the first Edge Booty set?
I don't have the the first set but just wanted to chime in that I'm still using the set. I just did weighted legs sunday. The heaviest I use is 30lb bbell for the hip trust and 2 x20lb dumbbell for the deadlifts. This set is high rep but very effective.

I've recently been doing heavy stuff for me. I rotate my rep ranges and weight each month to prevent joint and tendon over use injury I was squatting and deadlifting in the 130lb range.

I'm pretty leg strong but with this workout its very much in my opinion about slimming the legs and pumping the butt When I did the curtsy lunge combo I only used one 10lb dumbbell. I just couldn't get the range of motion or speed with 2 dumbbells. I'm a petite 46 yo so I think you younger ladies I'm sure will do a better job of it
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edge booty, ingrid romero