Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-21, 01:31 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Thanks so much for the detailed photos!! They look delicious and I love the looks of them from a baking perspective too! You did forget to post your address so we could all come over and help you eat them, purely an oversight I'm sure
I need you guys over here to help me eat the cookies and save me from myself! (Think I'm going to try freezing most of them later tonight.)

I decided to (for purely research purposes...) to try another of the smaller cookies today. It is definitely a tiny bit less thick/beefy than the big ones but still tastes the same. Definitely going to freeze the rest tonight because this "research project"/taste testing needs to end!

Thanks BunnyHop, Vantreesta, and FOLV for the compliments! Hope you get to enjoy some cookies & baseball today Vantreesta
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 01:45 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks! So far I've been lazy and it's just been the baseball!

I always freeze cookies. I can't have them on the counter or I can't control myself. When they're in the freezer I still eat a couple pretty much every day but I don't go crazy like when I see them on the counter!

Okay, getting off my butt now...
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 02:23 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post

Question for the cookie baking class :

We like our cookies to be more browned exterior..
could you bake at higher temp initially ? Then reduce? Or would you think it would mess up the chewy texture?
Speaking from just my self-taught experience, if I want a browner exterior to a cookie, I use a cookie sheet without sides (or lower sides) so the air circulates around them and crisps them more. Generally with my oven, if I use a heavier cookie sheet with higher sides, it yields a chewier cookie because the sides protect them more. My oven is older so it's inconsistent in different parts of the oven so I always rotate my cookies half way through, too.

I generally only mess with the temperature if the recipe calls for that. I'm not much of a risk taker!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 05:09 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I need you guys over here to help me eat the cookies and save me from myself! (Think I'm going to try freezing most of them later tonight.)
Be right over! Wow, they look so yummy! And you are funny with all of your photo disclaimers..... I noticed none of that! Thank you for all of the help. I'm going to try these soon.
Old 07-28-21, 06:42 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Speaking from just my self-taught experience, if I want a browner exterior to a cookie, I use a cookie sheet without sides (or lower sides) so the air circulates around them and crisps them more. Generally with my oven, if I use a heavier cookie sheet with higher sides, it yields a chewier cookie because the sides protect them more. My oven is older so it's inconsistent in different parts of the oven so I always rotate my cookies half way through, too.

I generally only mess with the temperature if the recipe calls for that. I'm not much of a risk taker!
Well I understand that.. the ingredients and time are too much investment to get too froggy.

I'll try your advice when I bake. I love the recipes you guys posted too much not to taste for myself!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 02:31 PM  
Vantreesta

I usually just make the Nestle Toll House bc that's what hubby prefers but these are the ones I made the other day for my friend.

1 cup margarine, softened
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 package vanilla instant pudding mix
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 package chocolate chips (I didn't use the full bag)

I need to try some of the tips and recipes posted here!

Yesterday I had to use up some ingredients so I made banana bars for the first time ever. Frosted them today but haven't tasted them yet. Next up is snickerdoodles.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 07-31-21, 02:15 PM  
Tugger31

adawn...I have the Cooks Illustrated magazine with the thick, chewy cookie recipe in it. They have a baking temp of 375 and yours is 325. Is that a typo or do you bake them at 325? If so, seems like the baking time would be longer?

Thanks!!

I'm definitely leaning toward this recipe, but making another recipe I found for some family taste testing. The other one is the same except no browning of the butter, just melted, still uses dark brown sugar though and this one uses corn starch. Same size cookies recommended at 3 Tbsp. We'll see how they all turn out! I've already decided I'm not making any with softened butter b/c they seems too finicky to mass produce and I'm also a bit too impatient!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 02:30 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post

I always freeze cookies. I can't have them on the counter or I can't control myself. When they're in the freezer I still eat a couple pretty much every day but I don't go crazy like when I see them on the counter!
This is why I try to avoid baking - I can't resist baked goods. They are too tempting right out of the oven, room temp, refrigerated, frozen....so delicious.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 03:15 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
adawn...I have the Cooks Illustrated magazine with the thick, chewy cookie recipe in it. They have a baking temp of 375 and yours is 325. Is that a typo or do you bake them at 325? If so, seems like the baking time would be longer?

Thanks!!

I'm definitely leaning toward this recipe, but making another recipe I found for some family taste testing. The other one is the same except no browning of the butter, just melted, still uses dark brown sugar though and this one uses corn starch. Same size cookies recommended at 3 Tbsp. We'll see how they all turn out! I've already decided I'm not making any with softened butter b/c they seems too finicky to mass produce and I'm also a bit too impatient!
I double-checked both the paper recipe my sister emailed me years ago (I assumed it was from Cook's Illustrated) and the America's Test Kitchen recipe in the big binder and both Thick & Chewy recipes are for sure baked at 325 degrees.

The Cook's Illustrated Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie is the one baked at 375 degrees and calls specifically for browned butter.

Sorry if my original recipe post is confusing but it explains exactly what I do step-by-step.

I sort of merge the two recipes in some respects. I mostly follow the Thick & Chewy recipe except that I do NOT do the plain melted butter. I brown 9 tbs butter in a pan and once that butter is browned I add it to 3 tbs butter in a bowl and stir until it's all melted together. And I also follow the mix/wait, mix/wait, mix/wait technique from the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.

I can't remember if I've ever made the Thick & Chewy cookie recipe with just plain old melted butter as called for. If I did, I must not have liked it as well because I've been making them with the 9/3 browned butter ratio for over 5 years at least now. Browning the butter is the key to really good flavor.

I have made the Perfect Chocolate Chip cookies a few times but it was years ago and they were excellent IIRC; I just happen prefer thick and chewy cookies.

Hope this helps.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 04:46 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
This is why I try to avoid baking - I can't resist baked goods. They are too tempting right out of the oven, room temp, refrigerated, frozen....so delicious.

Erica
Baking is one of my biggest anxiety coping tools (plus I love it and, toot my own horn, I'm pretty darn good at it! ) so I can't really shut it down. I need it like I need baseball, yoga and running!

Tags
chocolate chip cookies, recipe, recipes