Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-18, 03:15 PM  
daisyduke

Runners- what do you do in the winter? Please share what you like to do

I started running this year and usually run 14 miles three times per week. The other days I do shorter runs. I really love running but not in the cold!!!

What have you done in order to maintain your runs but also stay out of the cold?

I can’t decide if I should get a treadmill? Join a gym? Find cardio DVDs to do at home? Or just brave the cold?

Thank you for sharing what works!
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 03:49 PM  
Erica H.

I brave the cold unless the roads are icy or the wind is really brutal. I don't have a treadmill but I do have a spin bike that I use when I can't run. I think cardio DVDs would be fine if you don't want to go out - good for crosstraining and you'll maintain your endurance.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 04:02 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Run! Because I live in the AZ desert and it's finally cool enough to be outside all day!

On a serious note, when I can't or don't need to run as much, I try to do something else--almost anything--consistently. Currently I'm rotating Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. I am also running a couple of times a week and spinning once a week at the gym.

I just re-read your post--are you saying you do three runs per week of 14 miles each (42 miles total) plus additional shorter runs?

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 04:48 PM  
daisyduke

Yes! I run 14 miles three days a week. On cold days I get the shivers for awhile after!
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 04:56 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I’m not a runner, but hubby and I walk outside - in Minnesota - every morning that we can. The cold isn’t as big an issue as ice. We have ice cleats for our shoes, but they don’t work well on glare ice. Better to have a bit of snow cover. Then there’s all the layers of clothing, which we get used to.

Can’t do this if you’re a runner, but we walk a nearby mall if outside is impossible - even though I have a treadmill. Hubby won’t use it. Too boring for him (he’s never tried it).
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 05:25 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
Yes! I run 14 miles three days a week. On cold days I get the shivers for awhile after!
Are you training for anything? 42+ miles is quite a lot. I resorted to the dreamill this summer. I was doing 25-30 miles a week and it got too hot here (we're talking LOW temps around 90) to run indoors.

I find that running is so different. I can do other intense exercises, but when I then try to run again, it takes some practice to get back to you. Something to consider.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-18, 11:40 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

Like Joni O, in the old days when I was in Michigan, as long as it was over 35 degrees in the winter and not icy (shouldn't be, maybe just slushy!), I would put on my Gore-Tex shoes and go for brisk walks of 3-4 miles without a problem. Now I live in relatively balmy Northern California, so unless it's raining cats and dogs, I should be on my bike and on my feet without any valid excuses
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-18, 06:45 AM  
Vantreesta

I'm in MN like Joni and my dogs and I walk every day, regardless of how cold it is. Of course, we also have to walk whether it's icy or not. I love running in the cold, but if it is icy I will take it to the treadmill. I kept consistent one winter by rewatching my favorite show while running in the treadmill. My biggest problem with winter running is that since it's dark I have greater fear that there's slick spots I didn't notice or remember from our walks, so I don't get to run outside in winter nearly as much as I'd like. But I also don't run anywhere close to as far as you do. 14 miles on the tm would kill me!!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-18, 08:02 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
My biggest problem with winter running is that since it's dark I have greater fear that there's slick spots I didn't notice or remember from our walks, so I don't get to run outside in winter nearly as much as I'd like.
I run early in the morning when it's dark most of the time and this is a big reason why I can't run a lot in the winter. It's just too dangerous because of slick spots. I've fallen on ice once and last year I fell hard because the road had cracked from all of the freezing/thawing and I couldn't see the crack. I love running but I don't want to risk getting hurt!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-18, 08:14 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I don't like running outside in weather below 40 degrees so I run/walk on my treadmill. I like to watch workout dvds, Cathe Live, or Beachbody on demand while I'm doing it.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote