Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-23, 02:38 PM  
laurajhawk

Finished* Iron Series, Starting Strong & Centered

There was some discussion in the recently-revived "Where did everybody go?" thread, suggesting that threads discussing particular sets/series would be welcomed. Since I've just finished a rotation and am starting a new-to-me one, I figured I'd get double the punch by opening up a discussion on both. You can compare/contrast, just like in high school! I've become terrible at check-ins, but I love it when someone starts a thread on a rotation I am doing or one that I like, so I hope you do too.

About me: 59 years old, retired in 2021, had foot surgery last May. Been here all along (well, the last 20 years or so), though I lurk more than post these days. I like weights better than cardio, and I do yoga always; I teach yoga once a week at my old company (SO fun!).

After my foot surgery (left big toe fusion due to arthritis), I bought the S&C DVD set because I was annoyed sitting around and wanted to THINK about working out at least. But when I got my boot off after 8 weeks, I really needed very straightforward lifting, and didn't think Jessica was my best bet. I did a round of Lift with Cee 40-4-40 (now renamed), then a round of Caroline Girvan's Iron Series, both on YouTube. I loved both of those - Caroline was tough for me, my weights much lower than hers, and I did the 6-week rotation in about 8 weeks (maybe 9). *Right at the end, I got a stomach bug, had to take a few days off, and was impatient to get started with S&C, so I skipped the last two Iron workouts and started S&C today.

My intention with S&C, as with most rotations, is to make it work for me - I probably won't do much of her yoga/stretch, since I do so much yoga and like to have some days reserved for my own practice; I'll substitute different instructors if I find I don't like some of the S&C ones; I'll add rest days if I need 'em; and I'll declare myself done when I feel done, or when Cathe's STS 2.0 shows up in my mailbox. I started today with Total Body 48, per the calendar, and quite enjoyed it - it's very different from Iron, which is what I wanted. I felt challenged, but only used 5 and 10 pounds, where with Iron I used up to 35 lb (once, at the end) and often 20-25.

So that's where I am! Have you done either or both - Iron Series and/or Strong & Centered? What do you think? I can imagine that a lot of people like one or the other, but not both, as they're quite different. Let's chat!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-23, 02:50 PM  
bubbles76

I just started the Iron Series with Caroline Girvan. My friend and I started the series together. We call each other up at 6AM to get started and keep each other motivated. I should be on workout 8 but restarted to keep pace with her (she had to get a procedure done and it had her in pain for a few days). We finished workout 5 this morning. I really like the series. I also don't match her weights, but I get about 75% there. I can't believe how strong I am, considering it's been high reps, low weights or bodyweight for awhile for me I like the music, the rests, her accent, and the exercise sequencing she's picked. I also like that this is not rep based, but time based. So yea, happy so far with the series. It will probably take me way longer than six weeks to get through it, as we may only do strength work three days a week and tough cardio two days a week (adding walking as well every day).

I have no idea what I'm doing after this. Maybe Cathe, since the set will probably be here by then
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-23, 04:10 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

One thing I wondered. Do you have to look at the screen all the time since you don't count reps? Does a bell or something ring when time's up? When you're counting reps, you don't always have to look at the screen. Also with Cathe, she talks and guides you through the exercises. Caroline just plays music as far as I can tell.

Congrats Laura on finishing the series.
Old 02-27-23, 04:37 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
One thing I wondered. Do you have to look at the screen all the time since you don't count reps? Does a bell or something ring when time's up? When you're counting reps, you don't always have to look at the screen. Also with Cathe, she talks and guides you through the exercises. Caroline just plays music as far as I can tell.

Congrats Laura on finishing the series.
Thanks! Yes, there’s a distinctive tone that plays when you’re coming to the end of an exercise or a rest period, so you don’t have to be looking at the screen. Caroline talks for several minutes at the beginning of each workout (long enough to do your own warmup) but then there is no talking at all after that; there are sometimes form pointers shown on screen. I thought it was kind of restful not to have so much talking, but today it was nice to hear Jessica talk throughout too.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-23, 06:07 PM  
bubbles76

The no talking is really helping me adjust to AM workouts again.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-23, 09:06 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Thanks for starting this thread! I did a round of Iron last year and really loved it. I just recently restarted because I was feeling at loose ends waiting for the unknown arrival of STS 2.0. I needed a rotation and Iron seemed like a good one to revisit. I did #3 today, and like you, Laura, I will be stretching it out over a longer time period than Caroline intended because my work schedule only allows for about four days of workouts/week and because I may want to work in some Cathe cardio here and there for fun. But I can already feel the difference in training style (I've been doing mostly nothing but Cathe for quite a while). I really love this series. Oh, the other nice thing is that we are dealing with a longer term power outage and intermittent internet outages due to storms, so I have the workouts copied to paper. It's so much more fun to do to my own music (with an interval timer set up), but... there are some times when it's nice to see what she has in mind for a move, and also to get her form tips. But, we make do with what we can sometimes, right?!

Bubbles, I love that you and your friend talk at 6am to motivate!!
Old 02-27-23, 10:50 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I haven't done Caroline's Iron Series, but did like most of Jessica's Strong & Centered DVDs. Like you, I tend to prefer weight work to cardio and Jessica would not be my first choice for yoga.

It's been a while since I've done Strong & Centered, but I got it as soon as it was released and did all of the workouts. I'm sure I also did the rotation soon after but my recall now is terrible, lol!

Favorites from this set were Total Body Strength, Split Session Strength, and Total Body Circuit. No surprises here!

I haven't revisited the Walk a 5k because I was a bit annoyed about the lack of a countdown timer or mile marker, so I could breakup the walk when I was short on time. One of the walks just bored me, while the other was okay.

Most weren't fond of using gliding discs in the Fusion Flow & Glow DVD, but I enjoyed the variety and something different for a change.

I liked that this set was nice and bright and had great scenery. Lift & Shift was the opposite of that in the way of setting. I also felt some of the circuit styles of lifting (or repeating multiple sets/rounds) became a bit dread inducing, so I started skipping the last set to shorten the workout, if I could do so and still work both sides evenly.

Even though I don't normally reach for Jessica's yoga, I revisited a lot of her yoga/stretch DVDs this past month and did like most. In Stretch & Relax there is a section (Relax) that I did not care for and it's in no way "relaxing" in the least. It also ends very abruptly with you reclining in corpse pose, expecting Jessica to speak soothing words to lull you into a calm state of mind. But, nope. She says something like lay here as long as you like and the scene fades out...and that's it. The end!

I was a fan of Cheryl's (Lift with Cee) workouts because she lifted moderately heavy, but her pacing was more slow and controlled. I'm not into fast paced weight workouts anymore. And, the pace in Strong & Centered was pretty good with the right set of weights.

I'm awaiting Cathe's STS 2.0 and it will be an interesting comparison between previous STS and other workouts you'd mentioned.

We're also similar ages (though I'm a bit older), both retired and both have had foot issues.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-23, 02:48 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Loved Iron!

Hi Laura!
Glad you loved the Iron Series! I completed it, and then did Caroline’s Tempo week, and then completed her Fuel Series which I also loved!

I am on a skiing vacation right now, and I have to report that I feel that Caroline’s workouts have given me a ton of both strength and endurance. I am the only one in our family that is not sore from all of the skiing we are doing this week!

I am waiting for Cathe’s STS 2.0 to come out, but when I get back from vacation I am planning to do either Epic Heat or Epic End game.

Glad things are going well for you post surgery. I had a toe surgery too—its no joke!

Janet
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caroline girvan, iron series, jessica smith, strong + centered, strong + centered reviews