Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-18-22, 05:57 PM  
bfit

Does anyone else not like Jessica Smith's 5k workout?

I just did Jessica Smith's relatively new Walk a 5K workout today, and I didn't like it. It was so boring and repetitive. I was also disappointed that even though it's billed as a 5k there was marking of miles or anything like that. Normally, I like all of Jessica's workouts. What does anyone else think of this one?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-22, 06:13 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

I loved Steady Walk (primarily because of the music) but I didn't really like the second workout (Fast Walk). Need to try the Fast Walk one again to see if my first impression still holds. Still worth the preorder price for the Steady Walk on this disc because I get plenty of use out of it.

ETA: IIRC, many people in the review thread lamented the lack of mile markers and countdown clock.

Review thread: http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=232834
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-22, 06:58 PM  
bfit

Oops, I made a mistake in my original post. I meant NO marking of miles, etc.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-22, 10:30 AM  
kat999

With all of her (and Leslie's) walking workouts, I tend to mute the TV and play podcasts while I do them, and this one is no different. I don't like that there are no markers or her famous countdown clock, but if you put your DVD player's display on, you've got one (just for the whole thing, though, not per mile). Home walking workouts never translate for me into accurate miles anyway, so when I get a new one, it's mainly because it's someone I like and I need more variety. I also do my own walking to just scenery videos or while watching regular TV, and I mix in steps I know from Leslies and Jessicas, etc.

It all really depends on what you want out of your home walking workouts/plans, etc. I kind of dig that this one is sort of easier in some ways, but again, that's just me. I think you could bump up the variety and/or intensity yourself by jogging during walking sections (I do this a lot with Leslie) or adding small weights or something.
Old 11-19-22, 10:40 AM  
nschultz

For some reason I’m in the minority and love these two new walks. I don’t like the mile countdown on the screen because it never matches up with my Apple Watch so that is not a dealbreaker. Both walks for me clock in 3 miles and they never feel boring. They’re saving me for getting my steps in now that winter has hit in Wisconsin and it’s not as easy to walk outside.
nschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-22, 02:49 PM  
Leonana

I've only done the Steady Walk so far, and I liked it as well as her other ones. I now have a part time job where I do a lot of walking, so I'm not using my walking workouts at the moment. But I work at a school, so I'll be using them again in the breaks and summer.
Old 11-19-22, 04:13 PM  
donnamp

I wasn't thrilled with them at first, but they did grow on me and now I do like them.

I think I missed having mile markers or a count down timer.

I don't usually mind repetitive cardio b/c I tend to just zone out - but I do have to be in the mood for that type of workout in order to enjoy it.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-22, 04:24 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

I’m like Donna above…I tend to zone out when I do walking workouts anyway…sometimes I up the intensity with hand weights or doing side steps/jogging instead of walking in place…it’s all basically mind numbing for me anyway when it comes to walking workouts. Maybe I set my bar too low?

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-22, 05:36 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I'm with you! Too boring and repetitive for me. I love Jessica, but I have only done each once and barely finished them. I think I'll only ever do them during my sunshine workouts to get through January/February/March.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-22, 11:31 AM  
carolyn jane

I don't like the Steady Walk or the Fast Walk. I was really disappointed in these, especially after waiting so long for them to come out. They are both uninspired and boring.

I have done them several times to be sure I can't find a way to like them, but they are way below Jessica's usual production quality. She seems tired and distracted throughout both workouts.

Luckily I have lots of her older workouts where she is friendly and energetic and the routines are fun and creative
carolyn jane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith, jessica smith workouts, strong + centered, strong + centered reviews, walk a 5k