Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-04, 09:51 PM  
Katie W
VF Supporter

Felicity Green Workshop (long)

This was my first yoga workshop, and also my first yoga class. So, my observations, or what seemed remarkable to me, may be common place to more experienced yogis.

It was a 3 day workshop, May 21-23, at Two Dog Yoga, Seattle. Partial registration was possible, though preference was given to full weekend registrants. It seemed that most people were there for the whole weekend. Cost was $160. The studio is spacious and new, and enough props were available for everyone.

Felicity is an excellent teacher. She’s tall and regal, with beautiful white hair, and seems completely at ease in her body. With the students who already knew her, she was more demanding. With newbies like me, she was kind and attentive, and completely approachable. I felt safe, trying shoulder stand, backbends and even a headstand, using her modification and props, and having her close by, even though I had never done them before. She told lots of Mr. Iyengar stories, and used humor often. When demonstrating a Warrior III, she lost her balance for a moment, then said to us “Wait until you’re 70”.

Friday night’s session was a Down and Up Dog, a few standing poses, then Pranayama. She demonstrated each pose, giving detailed instructions, and especially how not to do it. There were many “ah ha” moments for me,

Saturday morning was a vigorous 3 hours of asanas. Having done yoga videos for several years, I was familiar with most of the poses, (even though I didn’t recognize the Sanskrit names), but found I felt them much deeper, following Felicity’s instructions. Then there was a 3 hours break. Since I live nearby, I went home, had a light lunch, and a nap. Saturday afternoon, was a few preparatory poses, then shoulder stands, using a chair against the wall. Then Pranayama. My muscles were tired, but I wasn't the only one.

For the Sunday morning session, we were asked not to eat breakfast, so we could experience Pranayama on a empty stomach. First we did some warmup poses, then headstand, then Pranayama. Then a ½ hour break. Afternoon session was standing poses, and several different backbends, and twists, using a chair.

Each session started with chanting, and ended with a very relaxing savasana. Felicity also talked about yoga teachings, which was all pretty new to me, but very interesting. Her CD on Pranayama was available for purchase. I have her Advanced Beginning Series 1 Tapes, and plan to get the Series II next. And I want to take another workshop!
Katie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-04, 09:57 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

That sounds wonderful Katie! How lucky for you to have your first live yoga experience with a fabulous teacher like Felicity. I did a workshop with her last fall that was similar to what you described. Isn't it amazing how she instructs in such a way that it gets you deeper into the pose!! I'm doing a week long teacher training with her in August and I'm really looking forward to it.

There are things she said that have stuck with me ever since. She has real clarity in explaining yoga philosophy as well. What an amazing teacher!

Thanks for the report!
Old 05-23-04, 10:08 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie W
This was my first yoga workshop, and also my first yoga class. So, my observations, or what seemed remarkable to me, may be common place to more experienced yogis.
Wow! Katie, that's just great. I'm (ok, pun intended) Green with jealousy. I've been trying to figure out a way to go to one of Felicity's workshop - and had considered the one you went to. Just fantastic. You sure know how to pick 'em. I have the cd and tape series you mentioned and use them very regularly. I think she's the best.

(no wonder you're looking at the Schumachers - btw, I have the Manuso Manos videos on my wish list)

I'm so excited for you. Now, you also live near Aadil's place, right? That is sounds like a great place to go to me.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-04, 11:40 PM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Katie, I have a coupon for a free class at Yoga Centers in Bellvue. If you think you'll use it let me know and I'll send it to you.
Old 05-24-04, 12:15 AM  
Katie W
VF Supporter

Thanks Jane and Loretta, for your comments, it was an incredible weekend...
for the first time, I think I "get" yoga.

Annie, who is the studio director, is a former student of Felicity. She
mentioned that Felicity is coming back to Two Dog Yoga Studio, next year.

Loretta, thanks for the offer of the coupon, but I don't think I'll use it. I bought a drop-in card for Two Dog, since I liked it so much there.

Jane...now I have to go google Manuso Manos, who I've never heard of. Also, don't know about Aadil's, but I live in North Seattle, only a 5 minute drive to Two Dog. PM me if you think you're coming to Seattle, another time. Would love to meet you.
Old 05-24-04, 12:39 AM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

That's great you like Two Dog so much. Finding a studio you like is half the battle. Maybe the next time I come to Seattle I'll have to try to catch a class there.

I, too, was intrigued about the Manuso Manos tape that I saw at the Unity Woods site (linked from a post earlier today). He's a senior Iyengar teacher in Los Angeles. One of the teachers at my studio studied with him and with Erich Schiffman when she lived in the area.

Felicity has one video, but it's more instructional about how to teach some basic poses to different levels of students, rather than a tape you can work along with.
Old 05-24-04, 06:19 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

As Loretta says, its great if you've found a studio you like - and so nearby. Aadil Palkhivala is a very senior Iyengar instructor who tours all over the world and gives teacher trainings. My understanding is that several of the NW video yogis have studied with him - including Lianne. This is his studio:
http://www.yogacenters.com/

I would love to meet him. I have his guided relaxation cd which I like a great deal
http://www.aadilpalkhivala.org/educatio.htm.

Manuso is also a very senior Iyengar instructor. He's discussed in Elizabeth Kadetsky's book, First There is a Mountain - the book about, among other things, the recent history of yoga and the authors trip to Pune to study with the Iyengars. She describes him as pulling her out of difficulties. His videos are pricey - $35 - $40 each - they're also available on the Unity Woods site.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-04, 07:52 AM  
lemonmoon

Manuso

Many years ago I took a workshop with him. It was in the days when I was a practising ashtanga on an irregular basis. I would describe him as having his roots in the tough love, old-fashioned military school traditions. We did pretty basic poses and held them for a very very very long time.

Since some of the poses of Iyengar differ from how I learned them for ashtanga, I ended up being the "poster child" for how to do them the wrong way and stood in class, holding a pose while everything was critiqued.

He sure knows his stuff and answered many questions about modifications for various quirks and physical disorders. At the end of the first day I could hardly walk and had felt as if I had been hit by a truck, and not quite in that good kind of way.

Some people really adore him. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him and can understand his ferocity, in spite of his bringing me to tears within the first 5 minutes of his workshop, as well as another student's weeping for minutes; I suspect that was due to some major events as he helped her open up her hips. I had never seen anything like it, much less in a class of 70 people or so.

Fran
lemonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-04, 11:49 PM  
Katie W
VF Supporter

Thanks for the info on Manuso and Adail...more to add to my wish list. I ordered the 3 Schumacher DVD's tday, and also bought Anusara Yoga 101 on e-bay (for $6!). Guess that's enough for one day.
Old 05-25-04, 12:57 AM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonmoon
Some people really adore him. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him and can understand his ferocity, in spite of his bringing me to tears within the first 5 minutes of his workshop, as well as another student's weeping for minutes; I suspect that was due to some major events as he helped her open up her hips. I had never seen anything like it, much less in a class of 70 people or so.

Fran
I cried at the Bryan Kest workshop I went to in 2001. I think it was from the deep hip release stuff (similar to Long, Slow & Deep CD) we had done. I've never cried in a yoga workshop, before or since. I didn't even realize I was crying until I saw the tears dripping down onto my mat.

I guess Mr. Iyengar and his teachers in India are into the Tough Love school of thought. The director of the studio I go to, who has done 4 intensives at the Iyengar Institute (she's on the assessment board and is up for Senior level certification), has a theory about it. She said that she thinks most students in India have no problem relaxing but have to be pushed to work hard enough. On the other hand, students in go, go go America have no problem with pushing themselves and working hard, but it's tough to get them to relax. So she thinks that teachers in India have to be tougher and teachers here have to be more soothing. That's her theory anyway. I think some teachers that have studied extensively with Mr Iyengar have taken the tough love stuff to heart. Luckily some teach a kinder/gentler version of Iyengar yoga.

Tags
christine felstead, eye bag, legs up the wall, old thread alert, proprioception, yoga audios, yoga workshop reporter, yoga workshops