Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-04, 03:31 PM  
Fitstick

Dumbells only with Cathe?

Does anyone use just dumbells instead of a barbell with Cathe's workouts?

It seems that I can use heavier weights when using dumbells-- anyone experience the same thing? Is it just as effective to sub the barbell?
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-04, 03:39 PM  
ConnieJJ
VF Supporter

I do

Hi -
I use dumbells rather than barbells, mostly just because I am too lazy to keep changing the weights. It is just faster for me to use the dumbells. I do have an 18 lb bodybar that I do use on occassion (sometimes I put my 5 lb ankle weights on each side to increase the weight - quickly).

Connie
ConnieJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-04, 04:03 PM  
ColleenM
VF Supporter

Dumbells only with Cathe

I can only use dumbells because of carpal tunnel and still get great results. The barbells put too much strain on my wrists.

Colleen
ColleenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-04, 04:15 PM  
Bebop

I only use dumbells. I once asked Cathe on the Cathe forum if dumbells could be substituted when she used barbells and she said yes.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-04, 04:52 PM  
Losin it
VF Supporter

I started out using just dumbells & it worked ok. I did eventually get a barbell because a) I found one at a good price & b) I just like doing deadlifts, deadrows & bench press with the barbell. Don't like to switch the weight though so if I'm not feeling up to my usual, I go back to dumbells...works just fine.

"Oh, you can't get out backwards. You've gotta go forwards to go back. Better press on."
Willy Wonka
Losin it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-04, 04:53 PM  
seriellen

I only use dumbells and have had great results. I do not like the feel of a barbell.
seriellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-04, 05:05 PM  
bluecaffeine

I use only dumbbells, mostly because I don't want to buy a barbell
bluecaffeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-04, 07:15 PM  
vmelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecaffeine
I use only dumbbells, mostly because I don't want to buy a barbell

Ditto. Also, I don't have the space for a barbell.
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-04, 12:44 AM  
Katie W
VF Supporter

I asked Paula Z

"... I don't have barbells, so used dumbbells for the T-Bar Rows and Bent-over Rows, in Cathe Pure Strength-Back. Do yo have suggestions for the best way to do this, or alternate exercises.?"

Her answer: Using dumbbells is the usual substitution for the barbell for these exercises. Other ways to vary these rows is to change your hand position for the rows. Your palms can be facing in (facing each other) and you can pull the bells backward until they're beside your hips. They can face forward (as if they were holding a bar underhanded) and you'll pull up and back until the imaginary bar touches your navel. When both palms face behind you, you'll point your elbows out to the side and lift the bells by squeezing your shoulder blades together...just as if you were doing a chest press face up on the floor. You'll work your rear delts a bit more with this row.

If you have an exercise band, stand with your feet staggered and secure the band under your front foot, and do all three types of rows using the bands.

You can also double up and use the dumbbells and the bands together. But try this the first time with lighter dumbbells than you normally use to see how your shoulders respond. Hope this answers your question.
Katie W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbells vs dumbbells