Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-04, 12:31 PM  
Videophile

One last note

For those interested in further info. on Drs. Cooper and Sneider their web sites and e-mail addresses appear below.

Dr. Harry Sneider’s website

http://www.drfit.net/index.html

harrysneider@earthlink.net

The Cooper Institute

http://www.cooperinst.org

To inquire regarding studies contact studies@cooperinst.org.

Also, one of the few books on rebounding I haven't yet read is Dr. Sneider's "The Olympic Trainer" the so called "Encyclopedia of Rebounding" It outlines his program of rebounding with weights. Should be interesting inasmuch as he is the person who first thought of using weights while rebounding.

I have made it a point to read most of the books out there on rebounding but overlooked this one because I thought it was about weight lifting alone. I will remedy that oversite shortly inasmuch as I have found a copy at amazon.com for $6.95

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-04, 02:41 PM  
Videophile

Disturbing PM & my response

I just received the following disturbing PM.
Daphne M wrote on 02-24-2004 11:30 AM:

Nancy:

Your post has been moved to trash. (In re: taking advantage of intelligent people, "no fear of that where you're concerned") It reads like a dig at Kimberly that you do not consider her intelligent.

Perhaps I misinterpreted. If I did, many others will too. If that is the case, I hope you will re-post, perhaps choosing your words a little differently.

Thank you.
Daphne
[/quote]

MY RESONSE:

What I meant was she is too intelligent for people to be able to take advantage of her. That is obvious from her intelligent posts.

Just goes to show you how a person can be misinterpreted. Perhaps you did not read all of our exchanges. We were very respectfull of one another. I, thanking her for the interesting exchange and she saying she enjoyed it also. Thanks for your concern tho'.

Nancy
Old 02-24-04, 03:06 PM  
horsemom2

Re: Disturbing PM & my response

Nancy,
I totally enjoyed the respectfiul exchange you and Kimberly had and am so sorry it was misinterpreted by anyone

Barb S
who has seen way more intentional digs untouched online and knows you intended your comment as a compliment not a dig
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-04, 04:28 PM  
Daphne M

Thank you, Nancy

I appreciate the clarification.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-04, 08:07 PM  
Videophile

Re: Re: Disturbing PM & my response

Quote:
Originally posted by horsemom2
Nancy,
I totally enjoyed the respectfiul exchange you and Kimberly had and am so sorry it was misinterpreted by anyone

Barb S
who has seen way more intentional digs untouched online and knows you intended your comment as a compliment not a dig
It's deja vu all over again.

Nancy
Old 03-02-04, 03:14 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally posted by Kimberly33
Cooper study :

It's hard to evaluate this, because we're missing key information necessary to adequately evaluate it. Where was this published? It would be better if they gave the citation of the original article (and I consider this a serious problem--why not give a reference?
I contacted the Cooper Institute for the reference.
It seems it was never published. They don't say why. Here's the e-mail I received from the Cooper Institute today:

Subject: RE: study on super circuit
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:37:38 -0600
From: "Carter, Rhonda" <rcarter@cooperinst.org> Add to Address Book
To: nabrudigam@yahoo.com

Nancy, I spoke with one of my colleagues
and he said that the study was done in the late
70's but was never published. So I don't have any
more data to give you than what you see on the
site.

Rhonda Carter
Teaching Associate
The Cooper Institute
12330 Preston Road
Dallas, TX 75230
972-341-3200
Old 03-02-04, 05:43 PM  
Kimberly33

That's definitely interesting, Nancy! It certainly doesn't mean that the study is necessarily bad, but it does mean that it hasn't gone through a certain evaluative process. It leaves it in the "unknown quantity" pile.

I'm impressed at how well you're researching this! Too bad they didn't have more information available.

Kimberly

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-04, 09:22 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
I'm impressed at how well you're researching this!
A few years ago I would've had to write a letter that woiuld've gone in the round file. At least with the internet you can contact somebody anywhere in the world and get an answer, even if it's not the one you want.

I've sent for Dr. Sneider's book BTW in which he outlines his program of "resistance rebounding" or rebounding with weights. Hopefully, I'll get more info on his background from that.

Nancy
Old 03-04-04, 09:51 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
What is Dr. Snelder's background? Does he have training in research? They mention he's a coach, but many coaches aren't trained to run good studies.
Dr. Sneider was an Olympic weight lifter and trained a number of other Olympic athletes. He was head track and field coach to the 1984 Olympics. He did research with the National Athletic Health Institute, headed at that time by Dr. Robert Kerlan, head physician for the L.A. Rams, Lakers, Dodgers, Kings and other teams. He also did research in collaboration with Dr. Leroy Perry, Olympic doctor for several nations and Dr. David Martin, exercise physiologist, Georgia State University, on the subjects of injury prevention, athletic performance and development in the high jump.

The above is from the forward of the book "Olympic Trainer" published in 1981. I've contacted Dr. Sneider to see if any of his studies are available anywhere for us to read. Since this info is from 1981 it may be reasonable to assume that he has done other things since then.

He currently heads Sneiders Family Fitness Inc.
"Bringing families together through fitness Since 1968."
P.O. Box 661356,
Arcadia California

http://www.drfit.net/index.html

My review of his book "Olympic Trainer" is post #32 on the "Everything Rebounding" thread:

http://205.214.68.83/vbulletin/showt...=&pagenumber=4

Nancy

Last edited by nabrudigam; 03-14-04 at 06:34 PM. Reason: adding info that was previously omitted

Tags
body rx, bone density, no cardio, scott connelly, weights only