Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-04, 02:29 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Bodies are different. . . I hear a lot of people saying they lose more fat doing strength work. I'm in my fourth week of mostly ALL strength and very little cardio except what is in my Firm tapes.

It is NOT working any miracles.

I need my cardio for cardiovascular health, I need it for my mental health, and I think I need it for weight loss.

I'm adding it back in now.

I think whether you lose weight better with strength or cardio or some magic combination of the two depends on what kind of muscle fibers you have and what kind of build you have.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-04, 03:15 PM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

Well whatever works for one, is the way to go definitely.

I guess I'm lucky in the sense that I don't have to do cardio to lose bodyfat, and since most of it bores me to death, that's a GOOD THING (Martha Stewart)

I do love kickboxing though so that's my saving cardio grace.
Mindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-04, 03:18 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I was convinced that it could be done and tried elminating (or almost eliminating) cardio for a couple of months and really increase my strength. I definitely gained a few pounds, without changing my diet at all. On the other hand, I really liked my strength results, so it's a mixed bag. I've since added a lot more cardio back in and started losing weight again. So unfortunately, much as I wanted it to, it didn't work for me.
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-04, 05:24 PM  
horsemom2

didn't work for me either

about the only thing that seems to work for me is low intensity cardio including light AWT and eating less. Low intensity cuz otherwise, I am too hungry to eat less LOL

Barb S
who truly believes it is more about the calories in than the calories out and this equation unfortunately just worsens with age cuz of hormonal shifts
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 05:46 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

It would depend on what you consider "cardio."

In early 2001 I lost a noticeable amount of body fat during my one and only (so far) attempt at serious fat loss. Following a certain program, I lost about ten net pounds but lost more fat than that; I looked as if I lost more than "ten pounds" and got stronger besides.

The main exercise was intense weight training. I also followed the eating instructions--while they weren't "clean eating" per se, they were a departure from what I usually eat. I am not going to guess how "important" each component was by naming a percentage, but I would rather exercise that way and eat whatever than eat that way and not exercise at all. You can tell that I'm not one of those "eating is 90%" people.

The program also incorporated a daily walk; while it was a step up from my normal activity, it didn't raise my heart rate to any high level (or even the famed "fat-burning zone") and was only half an hour besides, so I wasn't making up for low, low intensity with longer time. I guess I would call it added "activity" rather than "cardio." I imagine that without the walking, I would've seen similar results.

Of course, YMMV; I wouldn't base your predicted results on any anecdotes or single experiences, especially mine.

Seabush, have you examined your body composition?

Of course, the disclaimers:

- Cardiovascular health is important, yadda yadda. At the same time, I've never seen a "cardio"-lacking exercise system that pooh-poohs cardiovascular health; they say explicitly that their programs provide for that health. Even so, I'm not interested in participating in a debate over how valid those claims are.

- The importance of exercise goes beyond fat loss (or "weight loss," if you really insist), but we knew that.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 01:00 PM  
Lees

HCH those are amazing results!!

In early 2001 I lost a noticeable amount of body fat during my one and only (so far) attempt at serious fat loss. Following a certain program, I lost about ten net pounds but lost more fat than that; I looked as if I lost more than "ten pounds" and got stronger besides.

What program were you following? What was your exercise routine at that time?
Lees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 01:03 PM  
Seabush

Quote:
Originally posted by hch
Seabush, have you examined your body composition?
What do you mean?

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 01:09 PM  
ColleenM
VF Supporter

no cardio

I think it can be done but diet would be extremely important. From what I've read here, most people who found it unsuccessful are only mentioning scale weight, and if you are doing a lot of liting your scale weight might go up, not down but not necessarily indicate a higher bodyfat percent.

I do BFL which has 3 cardio segments 20 minutes long and have had excellent results. Diet is also a key factor as is doing the HIIT training for cardio.

Colleen
ColleenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 01:13 PM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

Absolutely Colleen, the nutrition is key.

While I lost bodyfat, I also gained muscle and while my scale weight only weight down 27lbs, the inches lost were significant.
Mindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 01:16 PM  
Kimmigirl
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by Seabush
What do you mean?

Crystal
I'm not (HCH), of course, but my guess is your body composition as far as a muscle to fat ratio.

Kim

Tags
body rx, bone density, no cardio, scott connelly, weights only