Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-04, 12:18 PM  
Tugger31

No Cardio....Body Fat Loss??

This has been asked before, but....

....any latest stories on anyone's experience with body fat loss (not scale weight loss) with doing little to no cardio and concentrating on strength?? For those of you with success, what were you doing before and did you also clean up your eating at the same time? (No specifics on the diet since it's not allowed).

Thanks!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-04, 12:20 PM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

Yes I did this following the BodyRx by Dr. Scott Connelly. I lost fat and gained muscle and rarely did any type of cardio at all.
Mindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-04, 12:35 PM  
Seabush

I tried this. There was no reduction in fat and the scale increased by several pounds. I'll never do that again.

Crystal
Seabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-04, 01:08 PM  
HelenJeannette
VF Supporter

I did this after it got too cold to run. Basically I made sure that I was still expending more energy than I consumed , and did Cathe's S & H for upper body and Look Great Naked for lower body. Cardio maybe once or twice a week.

I think cardio makes me very hungry, so cutting it out has little effect on my weight. I made tremendous strength gains and was able to actually add muscle in my shoulders and chest, which I had yet to be able to do.
HelenJeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-04, 01:08 PM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

Curious Seabush, do you mean you tried the BodyRx w/no success or another strength plan w/no cardio? I know not everyone had the success on that plan that I did, but I was pretty strict and didn't vary from the nutrition or the lifting much.
Old 01-20-04, 01:16 PM  
Seabush

Quote:
Originally posted by Mindi
Curious Seabush, do you mean you tried the BodyRx w/no success or another strength plan w/no cardio? I know not everyone had the success on that plan that I did, but I was pretty strict and didn't vary from the nutrition or the lifting much.
Mindi,

I never tried the BodyRx program. I essentially alternated upper and lower body workouts for six days per week and eliminated cardio completely for a month. The absence of cardio seem to result in a weight gain of several pounds. I can't imagine I gained that in muscle so I attribute the lack of cardio as being a negative for me.

Crystal
Old 01-20-04, 01:24 PM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

Ok thanks, that clears that question up for me then!

With what I did, the dreaded nutrition was considered to be 70%of the plan, not so much the lifting, but definitely the lifting was a huge factor, IMO.
Old 01-20-04, 01:29 PM  
Seabush

Quote:
Originally posted by Mindi
Ok thanks, that clears that question up for me then!

With what I did, the dreaded nutrition was considered to be 70%of the plan, not so much the lifting, but definitely the lifting was a huge factor, IMO.
I think my nutrition was pretty good when I eliminated cardio that month. I gained several pounds during that experiment and have yet to recover from it.

Crystal
Old 01-20-04, 02:15 PM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

that's too bad! I know how that is..believe me...
Old 01-20-04, 07:56 PM  
TinaT

I agree with ..........

Seabush, in saying that the elimination of cardio is not a good thing. Besides, you still need to condition your heart and lungs, and cardio is the only true way. I see so much more toned muscle when using cardio at least 3 days a week.

I lost 50 lbs and 41 inches overall, by mixing cardio and weights. They both play a roll in being and looking fit/healthy.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body rx, bone density, no cardio, scott connelly, weights only