Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear > Shoes/Equipment/Gear FAQ's

Old 02-24-02, 08:44 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Re: Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Lannette
Did they have the bosu filled with enough air to make it tight?
It was a little soft, which I think was the point. That's what made it challenging. But I didn't notice people having any particular problems with it for core work. Of course, balance work was another story Even the instructor was struggling a bit!

Quote:
They also have people stand on it while lifting weights which I imagine would be quite interesting.
We stood on the thing to do a combo of squats and overhead presses. The weight work was least interesting to me.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-02, 08:59 AM  
Brenda F.
VF Supporter

BOSU

Nancy's correct, I actually have a BOSU, bought it last year after ECA. Its pretty cool, I don't use it as often as I hoped. I fear the rebounder and the BOSU will spend too much time together in the corner of the room, at least the BOSU now has company!

Its is a great core workout and I have not even come close to mastering the standing on one leg on it with your eyes closed test. I definitely feel my abs working while I'm using it. I mainly use it for core work, abs, planks, etc and occassionally use it standing like the class KarenP took. Pushups on it flipped over are VERY tough!

I'm probably in denial about its worth/use cause I hate to admit I have equipment I don't use enough. An ab ball would probably do the trick for most of the exercises I use it for, but not all, so I have to justify the added expense with the exercises you can't do on a ball.

Basically, I'd invest in an ab ball first and work from there first.

Brenda F.
Brenda F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-02, 10:15 AM  
Lannette

Thank you!

I wanted to thank you all for your honest opinions.

I think that the bosu is going to be a perfect piece of equipment for the sports specific balance and core training my son needs but I'm much more realistic about any fun factor I had imagined for myself.

I really like core and balance training myself so I'll use it for that as well but I'm going to be more aggressive about trying to get it wholesale by purchasing it through work versus buying it off the 'net.

Thanks again!

Lannette
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-02, 09:45 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

2nd BOSU class -- MUCH better!

I took another class last night, this one with a better (IMO) instructor. This class kicked my butt! I wore my HRM and was in my zone for 33 minutes of the 50 minute class (10 minutes were spent explaining). The cardio sequences were more organized and challenging. The push-ups on the BOSU were really tough. In addition to the exercises already mentioned, we did a squat thrust variation with hands on the BOSU and push-up thrown in. In all, the moves were simple but challenging. This is a great class for people who have trouble with choreography but would like to be athletically challenged (there were a good number of men in the class). I've been looking for a good conditioning class for a while, and this one looks like it!

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 03-18-02, 12:14 AM  
Caroline Kim
VF Supporter

I tried it too

You can also read about it in the Cardio Classic thread in VFer News and Events, but I took a Bosu Group Exercise class by Douglas Brooks and Sara Kooperman yesterday. I loved it. The step-like choreo was really fun because the Bosu is so bouncy. I think Karen described the basic moves better than I could, but we did do a rhythmic segment with a knee-up, side kick (like in Circuit Max), front kick, tap back move that was fun. I imagine you could do a lot of step videos with the Bosu. It seems a bit easier on the knees because if its resiliency. I didn't want to buy it because there is only one video out right now and it's instructional. If it ever got cheaper (it retails at $125) and I had more space to store equipment I might buy it some day. Meanwhile, I hope more Bosu classes start popping up in gyms.

Lanette - I think it will be really great for your son's sports training. Douglas has trained Olympic skiers on the Bosu and it has been very effective. I haven't really checked it out but his website is www.movesintfitness.com

If you get a chance to try some step workouts on the Bosu, please report back...I'd love to hear how you like it.
Old 03-18-02, 04:04 AM  
Lannette

Caroline

Thanks for all the great info!

Your class sounds terrific and has given me a slew more ideas!
The price is coming down (or shouldn't I tell you that? LOL). Check out http://www.bosupro.com It's only 109+ dollars there.

Thanks for the link to Douglas Brooks' site! I have one of his books and really like it. He also is one of the people who wrote the professional bosu manual. It should be here by Wed. at the latest......I hope.

Lannette
Old 03-18-02, 09:00 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Re: I tried it too

Hi Caroline,

I'm glad you enjoyed that class. I'm now a BOSU addict and plan am taking it twice a week. I think if and when my balance improves I'm going to try jumping rope on that thing -- that should be a challenge!

Thanks for posting Douglas's web site. I looked at his workshop schedule and saw that he'll be teachin at most of the big fitness conferences around the country, including ones that VFers have mentioned -- Canfit Pro and AAAI. But did he say if other gyms around the country would start offering this class? If so, where?

TIA.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 03-18-02, 09:10 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Doing Step on the BOSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Caroline Kim

Lanette -
If you get a chance to try some step workouts on the Bosu, please report back...I'd love to hear how you like it.
HMMM...Looks like Lannette has been elected the official VF BOSU guinea pig! One problem with doing a step video on the BOSU would be tempo. I think the music is generally slower paced than step because you need to move a bit slower on it. Now that I think about it, a slower tempo, simple step workout like Reebok The Video could possibly work on the BOSU. It also would be interesting to try and adapt some of the moves in Intense Moves to the BOSU.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
Old 03-18-02, 11:55 AM  
Caroline Kim
VF Supporter

Re: Doing Step on the BOSU

Quote:
Originally posted by KarenP

HMMM...Looks like Lannette has been elected the official VF BOSU guinea pig! One problem with doing a step video on the BOSU would be tempo. I think the music is generally slower paced than step because you need to move a bit slower on it. Now that I think about it, a slower tempo, simple step workout like Reebok The Video could possibly work on the BOSU. It also would be interesting to try and adapt some of the moves in Intense Moves to the BOSU.
Funny that you mention tempo. Sara Kooperman used a step tempo CD from Dynamix (#22?) for the interval workout we did. But you're right that a lot of the videos these days use a much higher BPM.

Douglas did not say if other gyms would be doing Bosu classes - I think they are still in the selling stage, unfortunately.

Jumproping on the Bosu? I won't be doing that in this lifetime but if you can do it you are a stud!
Old 03-18-02, 06:15 PM  
Lannette

The appointed guinea pig still didn't get her (er her son's) Bosu!

Quote:
Originally posted by KarenP

The darn thing didn't come today! Maybe tomorrow. I'm getting to the point where I'll probably run down the driveway and hug the UPS driver when he arrives with it.

As soon as it arrives I promise I'll try a couple of step sections from different tapes and report in. Hopefully I won't be too bruised and battered from falling off of it half a million times in the process!

Lannette

Tags
proprioception