Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-22, 08:58 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Leslie Sansone and Low Impact "Boost" options

I have been doing Leslie walks and had previously only done a 5 minute clip of her before this latest stretch. Ironically, I hated it. I thought it was too easy and her "walk, walk, walk" drove me bonkers. The first time I did Leslie, I looked at the screen with some *serious side eye* and it was a big HECK NO for me!

Enter the new me......I actually REALLY like her now!! lol! Oh, how times have changed!! I love her encouraging, conversational tone. I don't even notice her repetitive commands anymore. Yes, I could do without the weight loss talk but I can overlook it. She seems very authentic like she really does care and want people to be healthier. She kind of reminds me of Richard Simmons. He had that very authentic and genuine air about him too. There is zero dread factor because there is so many options to suit my energy level.

Every one of her walks is new to me. I really have fun and enjoy myself. Of note, I have also been adding in her 4 and 5 mile walks and they are magic. I went from not being able to sleep to sleeping like a baby. My mood has been better. She cracks me up! She's very wacky and silly and has a maniacal laugh but, for some reason, she makes me smile! Interestingly, I tried to do a Jessica Smith walk last night (Walk Off belly Fat-argh...I hate these titles) and I did the Joni move!!! I was about 20 minutes in and I was just like NOPE. It's weird because she was my go to girl as I own almost every one of her DVDs (including sealed double copies- just in case ).

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on some low impact "boost" options. I wasn't going to boost at all. But, then Leslie gets so happy, fired up, and bouncy and throws her hands in the air (like she just don't care...sorry had too) and I'm like...dang, I want to join the party!! I know about fast feet and modified jumping jacks. Any other low impact moves that raise your heart rate? I can't do the the Short or tall box step as my knees are acting up. But, sometimes, I do want to do something to join in on the collective madness! Please let me know! Thanks!
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 09:05 AM  
red1013

Using hand weights might help. I usually use 1-3 pounds when I do it, depending on how I feel.

I also sometimes use my high step topper (4" as opposed to the 6" purple Firm box) for some of the moves, but that might be too much for your knees.
Old 04-14-22, 10:05 AM  
Vantreesta

I always move my arms more than Leslie does, which helps some.

Unfortunately, nothing low impact that I've tried for her videos gets my HR up much. Ages ago I did some of hers on my rebounder, but I don't remember if it helped raise my HR. But I'm a runner so it takes quite a bit for me.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 10:33 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1013 View Post
Using hand weights might help. I usually use 1-3 pounds when I do it, depending on how I feel.

I also sometimes use my high step topper (4" as opposed to the 6" purple Firm box) for some of the moves, but that might be too much for your knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
But I'm a runner so it takes quite a bit for me.
i agree with Red and Van. that being said, even if my HR takes a long time to rise, i continue.

you can really "hop to it" when they're doing knee-ups. that engages your thighs more. one thing i added that's missing from Leslie's moves are lunges. Lunges can really get your HR up if you're warmed up enough. same thing with "squating" when doing side-to-side moves. emphasize your heels to protect your knees.

duration: although this will not necessarily immediately increase your HR, duration can be a booster in terms of improving your endurance and over time, have a cumulative impact on increasing your aerobic base* without wiping you out. as little as adding 10-15 minutes to your walk can be significant.

*as in aerobic base building or ABB. trains your body to burn more fat at lower levels of exertion

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 10:41 AM  
Lori_Michigan

About 10 years ago, I traded away all my "low impact" and fusion stuff because I deemed them "too easy."

Hah!

Now I love Leslie (and Jessica and Ellen)!

I tore my meniscus last year so I've been modifying all boosts to simply walking a little faster or doing knee ups or backward lunges or squats or side to side or simple front kicks. I also do a lot of low impact jacks or use my gliders for a little more resistance. I modify so many things in workouts that I have a lot in my modifying tool kit!

It took a year but I've started back to a little impact with a light jog (which actually helped heal my knee, oddly enough).

I forgot! I also use my loop bands during boosts and do side to side movements or leg raises. The loop bands really increased my heart rate and helped strengthen my knee. I still do that quite regularly.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 12:31 PM  
bfit

Yes, use light hand weights. Also, you can wear a weighted vest. If it is not too high impact for you, you can also use the rebounder for some light jogging.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 03:29 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Lori- I’m sorry about your injury. Argh. I’m glad you are feeling better. Hey, modifying is good!! But, just reading about your loop bands exhausted me!

Vantreesta- I should have clarified that I’m not focused on getting my heart rate up. I just wanted to do something energetic but low impact when the spirit moves me to participate in the boosts. But, I don’t need to be huffing and puffing! I agree…As a runner, it must be really challenging to get your heart rate up!

Thanks, everyone! I haven’t been doing the boosts but sometimes the spirit moves me and I get caught up in the energy and want to participate. I’ll take the suggestions and grab hand weights, make arm movements, or do lunges if I decide to participate in one of the boosts! Thank you!!
Old 04-14-22, 04:25 PM  
Vantreesta

Oh, I thought you asked for low impact moves to raise your heart rate, my bad. You could maybe do old school aerobics moves like pony. I'm drawing a blank on any others at the moment.

I like Leslie a lot. My HR doesn't go high but on days when I just don't want to workout I can often do a Leslie to get some movement in and a mood boost. Her positivity and enthusiasm remind me of my mom.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 04-14-22, 06:00 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Oh, I thought you asked for low impact moves to raise your heart rate, my bad. You could maybe do old school aerobics moves like pony. I'm drawing a blank on any others at the moment.

I like Leslie a lot. My HR doesn't go high but on days when I just don't want to workout I can often do a Leslie to get some movement in and a mood boost. Her positivity and enthusiasm remind me of my mom.
No, I absolutely did!!! That’s why I wanted to clarify in my last post that I misspoke and I really just wanted more of an energy boost!! Oh, gosh!! The pony!! I haven’t done that in decades!! That’s a great one!!!!!! Thank you for the suggestion!!!!

Yes, I agree with you about Leslie!! And, you must have a very cool Mom!
Old 04-14-22, 07:24 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
No, I absolutely did!!! That’s why I wanted to clarify in my last post that I misspoke and I really just wanted more of an energy boost!! Oh, gosh!! The pony!! I haven’t done that in decades!! That’s a great one!!!!!! Thank you for the suggestion!!!!

Yes, I agree with you about Leslie!! And, you must have a very cool Mom!
I gotcha now! It took me forever to nail the pony but once I did it was kind of fun.

My mom was the best. Loved everyone and was a bright light of positivity.

Tags
boosted walking, leslie, leslie sansone