Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-13-22, 05:45 AM  
amoodygirl

Being the vidiot that I am, I absolutely must have this set. I just met with another VFer who was giving away some very heavy weights so this new Cathe may be meant to be for me!

Again, if I don't like it, I will trade or sell it. But, other than kickboxing, Cathe's weight workouts are always solid.

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-22, 07:51 AM  
owltx

I am actually finishing up STS right now - week 2 of MS3. I have done it several times - this might by my 5th? 6th? round. It does seem daunting, but it really does get you results. So I pick it up every couple of years or so to help with strength gains. It is one of the very few rotations I have ever been able to stick to for so long - I think because it is only three workouts a week (strength), and then you can fill in your other days with other cardio/stretch/your choice workouts, so lots of room for flexibility and variety there. Once you get your weights (one rep max or what you know your max is for an 8 or 10 rep set)) entered into the workout manager, it is so easy to follow that along for weight guidance.

So all that to say - and to get closer to an answer to muggle's question -there are certain positives with STS that you don't get with other types of workout sets: Solid rotation that is easy to follow with clear goals for each mesocycle, increasing weights/reps/both each week to reach that goal, enough variety that it doesn't feel like the same workout each week. I do wonder how STS 2 will work - I would love the same idea of different focus (endurance, hypertrophy, strength) but perhaps with slightly shorter workouts and perhaps less repetition during strength? (i know, i know, it is important to have those sets to build strength but by the fourth set I am just like sooo ready to move to a different exercise). I am glad she is including recovery routines, and am hoping for ab/balance to be included throughout (abs are totally separate in STS).
Old 04-13-22, 08:56 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Oh no sirree...I'm in like taters in tater salad!!
Hahaha!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-22, 12:06 PM  
warriorprincess

I've done STS a few times. What I love about it is there are nice long rest periods and low rep, heavy weights in Meso 3. Even Meso 2 rest periods are reasonable. I think this kind of weight training is kinder on older joints, and more conducive to building strength and muscle. Typically, Cathe's weight workouts don't rest more than a few seconds so you can never really go heavy, and with light weights the reps are faster. This may be better for fat loss, but I don't need that.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-22, 12:10 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

STS is one of the few rotations I've ever completed. I'm very interested in the new one, but will wait for reviews. I can't handle any disappointment right now!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-22, 09:48 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Oh no sirree...I'm in like taters in tater salad!!
Of course you know I thought of Ron White AKA Tater Salad!!

muggle, I do think she will release more information soon, but I also like the idea of recovery workouts being included. And this set isn't many more DVDs than the Lite series, for example. Aren't there only going to be 12 DVDs? So it's more like getting one of her "normal" sets. Also IIRC unlike the STS 1.0 there will be all original footage since she discovered there wasn't really a cost savings when they spliced together filmed exercises in that series. That's a plus for me.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-22, 11:16 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I never bought STS. I have so many of Cathe's weight sets I figured that was enough. I've tried to do rotations on my own and never finished them. Now I like the idea of a progressive weight set (with recovery) where I can follow along. I hope she lists the weights she is using instead of the 1 Rep Max stuff.
I may never match her weights, but I like to know what she's lifting. One thing I like about Jari Love, she lets you know what everybody is lifting.
Maybe this rationale will help you decide.
Old 04-14-22, 02:15 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Of course you know I thought of Ron White AKA Tater Salad!!
They call me ...Tater salad

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 02:39 PM  
star117

Agree on telling us the weights. I like to know to give myself a gauge. I know I can't match her, but it motivates me to lift 'my' heavy.
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 04:36 PM  
fanofladyvols

Are you convinced, muggle?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe sts 2.0, sts 2.0