Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-09-22, 08:00 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
Did Fat Burning Fusion yesterday. I modified all back movements. Felt fine last night. Woke up this morning and couldn’t move. My ENTIRE back (not just my lower back) had seized up. I’m in shock right now. The only thing I did different yesterday was I added Fat Burning Fusion to my workout schedule. I know I modified all back movements but I STILL woke up with massive back pain in my entire back. Geesh, I really can’t believe how bad it is.
I am so sorry that happened to you! I have not done that workout in years, but I have a vague memory of there being a lot of twisting (I could be wrong) and that bugged my back also. I hope you feel better soon. Back pain is excrutiating.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-22, 08:26 AM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Thank you, Sherry. I was so shocked!!! I could barely get out of bed. I’m hoping it improves throughout the day. I’m not going to lie- it has scared me off of trying other EB workouts.
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-22, 01:28 PM  
Lorelai

I hope you feel better soon! I remember there being twists and flat back down type moves in this one... It wasn't until I started doing Essentrics that I actually got a mirror and looked at myself while doing moves like that. I thought my back was flat but really it was slightly arched and that was causing low back strain. Doing the slight pelvic tuck while bending forward has taken a lot of that pain away in my low back. I haven't done an Ellen workout since restarting, so it's been a long time, but I think I'd approach some moves differently, knowing what I know now... And I'd have a mirror handy. Another thing that in hindsight probably contributed to back pain for me anyway... Doing those back leg raises for the glutes, if I'm not very careful to isolate then my hips move and it goes into my back instead of my butt.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-22, 02:32 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelai View Post
I hope you feel better soon! I remember there being twists and flat back down type moves in this one... It wasn't until I started doing Essentrics that I actually got a mirror and looked at myself while doing moves like that. I thought my back was flat but really it was slightly arched and that was causing low back strain. Doing the slight pelvic tuck while bending forward has taken a lot of that pain away in my low back. I haven't done an Ellen workout since restarting, so it's been a long time, but I think I'd approach some moves differently, knowing what I know now... And I'd have a mirror handy. Another thing that in hindsight probably contributed to back pain for me anyway... Doing those back leg raises for the glutes, if I'm not very careful to isolate then my hips move and it goes into my back instead of my butt.
Thank you for your very thoughtful post. Unfortunately, I just don’t want to have to make that much of an effort just to work out. I own over 22+ Jessica Smith DVDs and I’ve never had this kind of bad back pain. I’m just going to stick with her. At my age, I can’t afford a major setback. Thank you though for your excellent suggestions!
Old 03-09-22, 03:22 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Thank you for your very thoughtful post. Unfortunately, I just don’t want to have to make that much of an effort just to work out. I own over 22+ Jessica Smith DVDs and I’ve never had this kind of bad back pain. I’m just going to stick with her. At my age, I can’t afford a major setback. Thank you though for your excellent suggestions!
It certainly great that we have so many options! Although Jessica has a lot of twists and flat back forward flexion as well so I'm a little stumped as to why her workouts work for you but Ellen's give you trouble.

Old 03-09-22, 04:08 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Yeah, I don’t know. It’s SO weird. I really love when I work out with Ellen and have her streaming. But, it’s really hit or miss for me with her. When it’s a miss, it’s a really hurt my back miss. I have never had that with Jessica. But, Jessica does not do a lot of the moves Ellen does. I don’t know much about Pilates but I wonder if the moves Ellen does are more “real” Pilates. Jessica incorporates Pilates but it’s a fusion and not really pure Pilates. But, I’m just guessing here and grasping at straws!!! But, Ellen does a lot of moves that Jessica doesn’t like the scoop things, all the reaching down to floor and roll your back up, butterfly, mermaid, and something called a lasso. Even though I really tried to modify everything, it still resulted in bad back pain. I’m going to stick with mostly Jessica for now and add the few Ellen workouts that I know don’t bother my back.
Old 03-09-22, 04:14 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
I think Ellen does more long lever arm movements than Jessica. So you are doing flowy side to side, twisting, or forward bending moves with your arms more fully extended, IMO more potential to irritate the low back if you are sensitive.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-22, 05:20 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Yeah, I don’t know. It’s SO weird. I really love when I work out with Ellen and have her streaming. But, it’s really hit or miss for me with her. When it’s a miss, it’s a really hurt my back miss. I have never had that with Jessica. But, Jessica does not do a lot of the moves Ellen does. I don’t know much about Pilates but I wonder if the moves Ellen does are more “real” Pilates. Jessica incorporates Pilates but it’s a fusion and not really pure Pilates. But, I’m just guessing here and grasping at straws!!! But, Ellen does a lot of moves that Jessica doesn’t like the scoop things, all the reaching down to floor and roll your back up, butterfly, mermaid, and something called a lasso. Even though I really tried to modify everything, it still resulted in bad back pain. I’m going to stick with mostly Jessica for now and add the few Ellen workouts that I know don’t bother my back.
Now that you mentioned some of those, I'm wondering if they would benefit from a slight pelvic tuck to protect the spine. If I were to work out with Ellen now, I would definitely work to engage my lower abs and slightly tuck my pelvis anytime she is doing those rounded spine extended arms type moves. Looking back I think I was straining my lower back a lot by moving incorrectly. I love Ellen to pieces but sometimes I wish she was talk a little bit more about proper form.

Old 03-09-22, 05:35 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Yogapam- that could very much be it. Good thought!

Lorelai- yes, I agree!!!
Old 03-09-22, 06:42 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelai View Post
Now that you mentioned some of those, I'm wondering if they would benefit from a slight pelvic tuck to protect the spine. If I were to work out with Ellen now, I would definitely work to engage my lower abs and slightly tuck my pelvis anytime she is doing those rounded spine extended arms type moves. Looking back I think I was straining my lower back a lot by moving incorrectly. I love Ellen to pieces but sometimes I wish she was talk a little bit more about proper form.
I agree that Ellen doesn’t give many form cues. I give so many form cues when I teach Essentrics that some times I feel like a broken record, lol.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ellen barrett, ellen barrett streaming, four elements flow, standing yoga