Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-22, 11:28 AM  
Lorelai

Large Mat recommendations?

I need a new mat and I have the space now for a big one (it always annoyed me how I would "fall off" my mat). I'm looking for something good on hard laminate flooring... And durable because even the "cheap" large mats are still pricey! It seems to me that the mats under $100 get really mixed reviews too... But anything more than $150 would be difficult for me to justify. I have a hard time justifying that much! I like low impact barefoot workouts the most and can't see myself using shoes on it at this point, but it could happen (some of Jessica Smith's workouts use a step and I'm not sure using that barefoot would be a good idea). I would be rolling it up when I'm not using it as I don't have a dedicated space. I can easily accommodate a 6' x 4' rectangular mat, or a 6' round mat. I'm not sure what shape to get! I've wanted a round mat for forever, but there might be more options for rectangular mats? I've searched through some older posts but some of the recommendations have gone out of business or are unavailable... Plus I'd be interested to see what has stood the test of time.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-22, 04:21 PM  
bfit

I have a large mat called the 360 mat. I got it at Amazon a couple of years ago, and it's held up well with almost daily use. If I remember right it cost about $85 then. I have not checked recently to see if Amazon still has it or what the cost is now.
bfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-22, 04:51 PM  
gigi

I'm posting so I get notifications when others post. I'd like to invest in a large mat too one of these days. It would need to stand up to a step, weights, etc.
Old 01-18-22, 04:55 PM  
BunnyHop

I have a round mat and love it, but frustratingly they aren't available from the place I got mine.

The Yoga Outlet site has a round mat that's 5mm thick. Is that enough? https://www.everydayyoga.com/product...14826808803363
Old 01-18-22, 09:25 PM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I have a round mat and love it, but frustratingly they aren't available from the place I got mine.

The Yoga Outlet site has a round mat that's 5mm thick. Is that enough? https://www.everydayyoga.com/product...14826808803363
I don't know! I mean, I think so. It would give me cushion and some stability during standing work, and I could add a smaller mat if my backside needs more cushion for floor work right?

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-22, 10:19 PM  
ChelePA

I love my Cathe round mat. Definitely don’t want to do cardio on it. I tried some low impact with sneakers. It scuffed one little area. I learned my lesson
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-22, 10:42 PM  
bfit

I just looked on Amazon, and I don't see the 360 Mat that I have. Maybe it was longer ago than a couple of years that I bought it. At any rate, they do have the Gorilla Mats that look virtually identical and that I have heard good things about too. I almost bought one of those when I bought my mat. You can get a 6 x 4 for about $119. There are larger ones but they cost more.
bfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-22, 06:51 AM  
bolieikl
VF Supporter

I love my Cathe round mat.
bolieikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-22, 08:46 AM  
patrice
VF Supporter

I got my husband one these:

https://gorillamats.com/

I did find it one sale. Unfortunately, I don’t remember where.

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-22, 10:16 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolieikl View Post
I love my Cathe round mat.
Me three!! Best buy from 2021...use alot but not as a cardio mat with shoes. I do use for barefoot cardio

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gorilla mat, mat, mats, round yoga mat, workout mat