Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-21, 11:09 AM  
kat999

FIRM For Life book

I'm sure there are old threads on this, but I only just got this book (published in 1998) because people were talking about it on a FB FIRM group. I'm not even actively doing the FIRM much right now, but the information is still so good, IMHO, and really reinforces the fact that as we age we really need weight training and that high-impact is not always high-result. I go back and forth on high-impact vs. slow and steady, and honestly at my age even though I do a lot of HIIT, I really do have to modify down to take the impact out, even if I keep the intensity. What I always liked about the FIRM was that--with a few exceptions--I never felt overwhelmed, overworked, overtaxed, or challenged in ways that were painful or upsetting. The main way to modify up or down always had to do with making your own choices about weight sizes. And I'm forever grateful that when other workouts make it seem like squats, lunges, dips/reverse lunges, or step-ups were going to be a killer, I can even now do them with good form and without feeling taxed.

There may be some slightly outdated information, but I'm really enjoying reading it and feel ever more committed to my workouts.
Old 07-30-21, 11:25 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

VF book review link for this title:
http://www.videofitness.com/books/firmforlife.php

edited to add:

i found it at a used book store in great condition >10 years ago. i didn't read all of it, but the parts i read were repeats of other Firm literature. i liked seeing the vintage photos in it.

i tagged this thread and read some of the older threads about this book. i need to go back and read it - apparently, there's a "daily dozen" set of moves with weights that one of the threads mentioned.

>>

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 01:18 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I remember being excited that this book was coming out. I pestered the local bookstore about it, and they said they had it on order and would notify me as soon as it arrived. Well, when I got it I was terribly disappointed. It was a rehash of material they'd already presented. I read it and got rid of it almost immediately.

If I can find a library or cheap copy, I might want to take another look at it today. AFIK, they were the first that really pushed weight lifting for women. Cathe was pretty much doing just step videos at the time.

I had a problem doing the high impact moves in the early Firms so I'm not sure I got a lot out of them until they introduced step routines in the final 3 classics. Also, I knew nothing about form so I had a knee injury from doing lunges incorrectly.

Susan Harris was a big draw. She looked like an absolute golden goddess.

As for the calorie recommendations in the book, I think that's an individual thing, and a person has to experiment to see how many they need (end of diet talk). I would not take their word as gospel on that.
Old 07-30-21, 01:52 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
I'm sure there are old threads on this, but I only just got this book (published in 1998) because people were talking about it on a FB FIRM group. I'm not even actively doing the FIRM much right now, but the information is still so good, IMHO, and really reinforces the fact that as we age we really need weight training and that high-impact is not always high-result. I go back and forth on high-impact vs. slow and steady, and honestly at my age even though I do a lot of HIIT, I really do have to modify down to take the impact out, even if I keep the intensity. What I always liked about the FIRM was that--with a few exceptions--I never felt overwhelmed, overworked, overtaxed, or challenged in ways that were painful or upsetting. The main way to modify up or down always had to do with making your own choices about weight sizes. And I'm forever grateful that when other workouts make it seem like squats, lunges, dips/reverse lunges, or step-ups were going to be a killer, I can even now do them with good form and without feeling taxed.

There may be some slightly outdated information, but I'm really enjoying reading it and feel ever more committed to my workouts.
I recently re-purchased it too! I enjoy reading it.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-21, 01:59 PM  
kat999

Thanks for the link and comments, all! I do think some of it comes off silly and/or outdated in terms of the lifestyle section(s), with the exception of the science behind weight lifting, especially for aging. I haven't actually gotten to the nutrition section, but I've been struggling in this area personally, so it might be good to see what their thinking was, at least in the past, and adjust as needed to be more in line with current thinking.

I do think a lot of the sections that talk about motivation and helping to debunk both myths and excuses are very helpful. Sometimes I feel like giving up on exercise because too often I don't see results or don't see them quickly enough, and it's only by really making exercise a true habit that I work other parts of my schedule around that I get very dedicated and THEN see some results (even if they're not always aesthetic). I have to remember, as they write, that there are mental health and stress benefits, as well as longevity benefits, that can be largely invisible. Yes, if you continue to stick with it you should see aesthetic benefits, but that may take a while.
Old 07-31-21, 08:28 AM  
Carol K

I got it when it came out. I remember some people thought that was Anna and Cynthia Benson on the cover.
Old 08-03-21, 11:55 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

I was ecstatic when I found this book at a used book store! I had never known about it but snatched it up quickly. Awesome book and loved it!! I still have it.
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 09:39 AM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post

Thanks for enabling! I just found one on eBay for $4. I used to do The Firm (even with my son and daughter. It was a family practice) regularly, and almost exclusively, for almost 25 years, but didn’t know they had a book. I’m looking forward to reading it. My daughter is visiting next week from England so hope to have it and share it with her then :-)
Old 08-04-21, 03:00 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I'll have to pull mine out again. I also have the Firm Journal.
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-21, 07:48 PM  
Swissmom

Thank you for starting this thread. I just borrowed a copy from archive.org.
Swissmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm 20 questions, firm for life, firmology, the firm