Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-21, 11:13 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
I think that's an personal thing.

I mean we have Earnestine Shepard the " World's Oldest Bodybuilder" who didn't even start training until she was 56 started competing in her 70s, runs about 70 miles a week,has done a few marathons, not only trains herself but also leads classes for people, and was just in a Beyonce video last year at 85.
I mean, doesn't sound like she's slowed down. Well, I guess she did "retire" from competitive bodybuilding LOL

And Joan MacDonald who started training in her 70s. I follow her on Instagram and YouTube, and she's amazing.
Earnestine and Joan are inspiring, but I think they can do what they do at their age because they probably do not have decades of pre-existing exercise-induced injuries. Whereas I do. I'm in darn good shape for someone my age (almost 65), but decades of running and high-impact cardio classes did a major number on my knees. I'm careful to choose exercises that do not exacerbate that.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-21, 11:53 AM  
rhbrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
Earnestine and Joan are inspiring, but I think they can do what they do at their age because they probably do not have decades of pre-existing exercise-induced injuries. Whereas I do. I'm in darn good shape for someone my age (almost 65), but decades of running and high-impact cardio classes did a major number on my knees. I'm careful to choose exercises that do not exacerbate that.
That might be, but Joan had a knee replaced due to arthritis prior to her starting to train so she had some pre-exsisting problems before she started lifting. She says she is good as long as she keeps moving which I love that message.
And I think anyone in their 80s like Earnestine, running 70-80 miles a week is impressive and probably has arthritis in knees and hips but just pushed through.
Old 05-21-21, 12:15 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Age 44, I did Yvette and Cathe and Horizontal Conditioning.

Age 47, numerous injuries piling up that won't heal properly, 3 years into perimenopause hell, 35 new pounds in my middle, numerous bizarre health issues. Now the only horizontal conditioning I'm able to do is ice my torn meniscus on the couch.

My mind thinks I can still do anything. My body thinks otherwise. Looks like walking and CS are really all I can handle going forward. But I do really benefit from listening to Paula B. (But then I immediately realize that my best days are behind me and that is tough to manage those thoughts. Sigh).
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-21, 12:49 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
They also have good genetics.

There is arthritis you can live with in discomfort, and there is arthritis, as in debilitating.

I had every intention of working out hard for the rest of my time on this planet, but my genetics had other things in store for me. My mind says go but my body says it ain't gonna happen. I sometimes wonder what condition I'd be in if I wasn't already a fan of exercising. I still do more than a lot of people younger than me.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-21, 01:00 PM  
adrien_73

I am 48 and have had to slow down a lot due to overuse injuries. I used to be a fitness instructor and lifted very heavy. I think it has taken a toll on my joints. I do exercise for 60-120 minutes a day, but low impact & minimal weights.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-21, 01:10 PM  
donnamp

I have to say I had to scale back in my early 40's. My back and hips just could not take high impact and heavy weights. But, to be truthful, I never really truly enjoyed heavy weight work or jumping around, but did it for a time b/c I felt I had to to be "in shape" (whatever that means, LOL!). I did enjoy running and wish I could still do that - it was very therapeutic to me mentally to run. I have toyed with trying to run again...but I'm not sure if it is wise.

Mainly I stick w/ lower impact and lower intensity workouts and have been doing that for years now. I never really saw tons of "visible" results from any exercising I did...except for when I did a push-up challenge and had the best arms ever! I suppose when I did the FIRM I was more muscular overall and looked more toned, but I was also at my heaviest (non-pregnant) weight, then, too.

My focus has really changed since I was younger, being functional and pain free is more important to me than having my body look a certain way.

There are also times in my life where I need calming workouts for my mental/emotional health - particularly if I'm going through a stressful event.

But, all that being said to the OP - there is no reason to stop doing what feels good to you just b/c of your age - If you feel great doing what you are doing keep at it! As long as you are not getting injured, run down, or doing it simply b/c you feel like you have to, you are good to go!!

I sometimes wonder if I will feel differently once I retire and have more time and don't necessarily have to get my workout done in the morning to ensure it is done...you know what I mean? Energy may improve if I could workout at the time of day that suits me best, not my work schedule. But time will tell.

I'm 53, btw!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-21, 01:36 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

KateTT, keep going with your tough workouts as long as you enjoy it! You will know when/if the time is right to slow down or lighten up.

I'm 65 and I started doing lighter workouts a few years ago. I just don't have the desire to workout as hard as I used to.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-21, 02:22 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
They also have good genetics.

There is arthritis you can live with in discomfort, and there is arthritis, as in debilitating.

I had every intention of working out hard for the rest of my time on this planet, but my genetics had other things in store for me. My mind says go but my body says it ain't gonna happen. I sometimes wonder what condition I'd be in if I wasn't already a fan of exercising. I still do more than a lot of people younger than me.
I hear you Pat! I’m dealing with osteoarthritis and lumbar spine degeneration. It’s not severe or debilitating, but it’s enough to remind me to work within my body’s abilities. If I don’t I pay the price. Like you, I believe I’d be in worse shape if I wasn’t active. My mother was much worse off than I am at my age. She was not overweight but she was very sedentary.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-21, 03:25 PM  
JENILU

I've recently thought about this, but more-so because its seemed that a lot of people in the best shape (supposedly), seemed to get the most arthritis, etc, but it seems they would have built more and better bone mass, etc.. I got curious but didn't know how to word it. Maybe it had to do with over-use thru the years?

Anyway, to your question, mine personally raises and lowers all the time.
As long as you are doing the things to insure you are doing good and not over - use harm, do totally what feels good and makes you feel alive!! If you are still feeling good the next day, then why change unless you want to. Always being sure (and I think you said this) to keep up with mobility and flexibility, etc..
You are so encouraging! Thankyou for that!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-21, 05:39 PM  
warriorprincess

I feel like I slowed down more during perimenopause and the early menopause years than I have now. And a couple of times when I later found out I was low thyroid and low iron. You slow down in younger years when your energy is dragging. I suspect joint issues slow you down more as you age.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, intensity, low intensity, tennis elbow