Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-18, 12:23 PM  
anjabear

Lightbulb Cardio and depression

Hi everyone,

I've been steadily feeling more and more wrong, sad, depressed, etc.

I recently completed an Essentrics/Classical Stretch experiment of 6 weeks doing one hour a day 6 days a week. And then I started a week of easier workouts to recuperate.

Well I didn't add in cardio of any strenuous/challenging type at all. And hadn't done any heart-pumping-give-me-some-endorphins cardio in 7 weeks. I thought something really was wrong with me.

And then it came to me this morning. And I looked at my calendar of workouts. I have been missing my feel-good-drug. My endorphin boosters.

Thank God I figured it out because I really was getting worried about why I was feeling so blue. I need to run outdoors and sweat! So I did run this morning. I feel so much better. I am adding back aerobics/cardio/running whatever to three days in my schedule a week. Wow, I forgot how much of a difference in makes in my life.

Who can relate? How does heart pumping cardio help you? And that includes any kind that moves the heart enough to get you sweating and feeling good

Last edited by anjabear; 12-16-18 at 01:55 PM. Reason: adding something
anjabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-18, 12:37 PM  
bubbles76

When I am at my most down feeling, I need my heart pumping cardio as well. Anything with great music helps too!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-18, 12:37 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I can relate, Julia. I need my regular heart-thumping cardio 2-3 times per week to feel uplifted, energized and alive. I like strength and my pilates workouts, but cardio is what I NEED.
Old 12-16-18, 01:53 PM  
anjabear

Thanks for replying Bubbles and Usia

I feel normal again.
Wow one good outdoor interval run/hike.
How could I have forgotten how much, intense enough, cardio contributes to my overall mental health?
I'm so glad I remembered. I'm also thankful it makes such a difference for me. I know for some people exercise is not enough to lift the dark feelings. I consider myself lucky this way.

Old 12-16-18, 02:15 PM  
sherry7899

I am so sorry you went through this, but so glad you figured out what would help, and that it worked! That is wonderful.

I also realized I need cardio to help with my mood, especially in the winter. I can't do anything high impact/intense, but dance cardio and kickboxing always make me feel good.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-18, 03:08 PM  
DCW

I am so glad you found a natural mood booster.

I have to get outdoors. Something about being outdoors and the fresh air and being in nature re-energies me. I have to see the daylight even when it's cloudy outside. Its been raining all weekend and it just let up so outdoors I go. Cold, wet, dry, snowy, sunny, hot, whatever weather, I want to get out of the house.

Right now it's dark before 5 pm so I don't walk after work but I try to get in as much walking as possible at lunch so I can enjoy the sunlight.

Dec 21 is the shortest daylight day. It can't come and go fast enough for me!!!

Bring on the sun!
Glad you are feeling better and found your outlet!!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-18, 03:16 PM  
anjabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I am so sorry you went through this, but so glad you figured out what would help, and that it worked! That is wonderful.

I also realized I need cardio to help with my mood, especially in the winter. I can't do anything high impact/intense, but dance cardio and kickboxing always make me feel good.
As long as I get some sweat going and breathe hard I'm good. And it really is nice if it lasts at least :45. Today I only did :30 but then followed with :30 of an Essentrics stretch workout so I guess that was enough to pull me back to the happy side. I was so focused on Essentrics I forgot what else I needed!
Old 12-16-18, 03:23 PM  
anjabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
I am so glad you found a natural mood booster.

I have to get outdoors. Something about being outdoors and the fresh air and being in nature re-energies me. I have to see the daylight even when it's cloudy outside. Its been raining all weekend and it just let up so outdoors I go. Cold, wet, dry, snowy, sunny, hot, whatever weather, I want to get out of the house.

Right now it's dark before 5 pm so I don't walk after work but I try to get in as much walking as possible at lunch so I can enjoy the sunlight.

Dec 21 is the shortest daylight day. It can't come and go fast enough for me!!!

Bring on the sun!
Glad you are feeling better and found your outlet!!
DCW I really like to get outdoors too. A lot. I do get outside with a dog walk every day but I also need more for my body. My dog is willing to go further but too much exercise for her and she shuts down. She seems to have a bit of a delicate constitution. Bless her sweet heart.
I love cloudy days. I live in southern AZ so I get plenty of sunshine. When I went to the state park this morning it was 34 degrees. I love it. It will be about 70 today. I appreciate some cold.
I'm going to go out for a walk now. All this talk is making me want some fresh air.
Old 12-16-18, 04:01 PM  
wendug

Yep, I love my cardio and the endorphins!!! If I don't get it for a few days I feel a bit sluggish. And I don't sleep as well either. Some cardio is essential for me along with my weight workouts and dog walks outside. Some people have commented that I work out a lot. Maybe...but I just figured out it makes me feel better.
Old 12-16-18, 05:46 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

anjabear, thanks for your post. nice story and great reminder.

sunlight is so important. if you prefer to be indoors, be near a window as much as possible. i'm reading a book on circadian rhythm, and day light is so important and sets in motion the cells in our body to do what they were programmed to do.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depression, endorphins