Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-10-17, 10:31 PM  
Tammie M

Tonique Addicted to Movement

I wanted to increase my barr dvds and bought Tonique Addicted to Movement during Mary's sale. It wasn't what I expected. It is very repetitive. With my attention span I don't think I could do the full workout in one session. Plus it has 30+ minutes of fast squats with some deep knee bends. That would be pretty tough on my knees. So I think I will have to break this one into segments. Unfortunately it isn't chaptered. Has anyone else with a short attention span done this?
Tammie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 06:10 AM  
casey

Hi Tammie M

It's been a few weeks since I've done Tonique but I've been doing Tonique for more than 10 years. I have done ATM many times until I was able to do the entire workout but it wasn't my favorite. I wasn't able to find a way to shorten it and I believe it's 90 minutes? I think the way I was able to shorten it was to do approximately 30 minutes and then start over, on the other leg.

I think it has more cardio in it and I'm not a fan of her cardio. I do her workouts for the toning aspect, especially for my legs. I have gotten amazing results from her workouts but they are not for everyone because they are repetitive. When I'm doing her workouts regularly I find I get into a groove and enjoy them. Right now I am doing Ballet Body downloads, Linda Woolridge, Strong Stride and walking. I am happy with my results and feel good about myself but when I am doing Tonique I know my body is completely firm and everything is tight and lifted, everywhere.

I can tell you which Toniques are shorter and which ones are more leg focused or easier. I have noticed that it isn't necessary to do her hardest or longest ones to see amazing results. It's more important to be consistent with working out and have good nutrition IMO.

hth Casey
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 06:21 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I have the same issue. I like the workouts but it seems like watching paint dry. I get bored and quit.

Casey: If you could post which Toniques are shorter and which ones are more leg focused or easier that would be great.
Old 05-11-17, 07:25 AM  
prettyinpink

I think ATM can be broken up about halfway, because she does switch legs more on this one. That is one of the reasons I liked this one more than some of her others of that era; I thought it was a little easier and more fun. You might check some old threads.

I too have trouble sticking with Tonique. It takes a while to build up my leg endurance to do the longer ones, and when it occasionally gets a little too fast or a little too much for me, I have trouble just doing a few less reps or taking breaks with these than I do with other workouts that challenge me. I don't know why, it is a mental thing.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 10:04 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I can't remember ATM specifically, but I do remember that for a lot of Toniques after the first couple of releases I would figure out how many reps she is going to do and just do half of that, then immediately switch to the other leg to do that side while she's still on the first side. Cuts the workout in half and also makes it easier since you're not on one side for so long.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 10:36 AM  
casey

I think I have also done just 20 minutes of ATM and repeated it on my other leg for a 40 minute workout. The reason that it wasn't my favorite that when I was able to do the entire workout several times a week, I didn't see as much leg toning as I do in some of her other workouts. That's why I do Tonique. (Legs, hips, glutes).

So for legs, hips glutes my dream workout is Tonique Borm to Move 1.1, even if I stop at 60 minutes. It firms and tones my lower half unbelievably. It has much less arm balance work but your legs will be worked hard the entire time. And your butt, omg.

Ok for easier (IMO)
Euphoria - lower body emphasis, less arms, like an easier BTM 1.1 less than 45 minutes.

Sculpt 1&2, CardioSculpt 1&2 - each about 20 minutes, great toning, and you can just do 1 or more. You can go for a walk or run or swim and do just one and get great results. Not killer. I used to do all 4 for a 70 minute workout and got great great results. I didn't get her Cardio download. I do Tonique for toning. I also don't like a lot of impact. Running has less impact for me than her cardio.

San Sebastián 1 & 2 - for me, 1 is easier than 2. 1 has a leg emphasis and 2 has many mini handstands. I can't do as many mini handstands as her but what I do when I can't do them all is put my hands on the ground and do rear leg lifts. I still get great results. I also sometimes do a single leg floor touch with my other leg reaching and lifting back. I don't care if I get great results.

CardioMat - I love this one but not everyone does too. It's outdoors in a nature preserve. It's an earlier workout so not as hard but really effective. It goes back and forth standing to floorwork. I stop, usually, around 65 minutes. It gives me great results. No music though. Sometimes you can find it really cheap on Amazon or elsewhere. I think I paid $7.

Get Dirty- easier but has arm balance work in it.

Hamptons- 25 minutes. The first 12 minutes is really hard for me with the arm work but if I get through the first 12 minutes I'm home free. The second half is really good for legs and for 25 minutes, it gives me great results. Beware though, the first part is so hard for upper body,

Fem Fatale - I think workouts #1 and #3 are treasures. They are only 30-45 minutes long, not killer but so effective. I would sometimes do both in one session. It's workout 2.1 and 2.2 that are killer for me. Workouts 1& 3 are gems.

If you just did Fem Fatale 1 & 3 you could get great results. Or just CardioSculpts and Sculpts 1&2. Or the San Sebastiens or CardioMat. I'm not into torturing myself, just getting results. Plus my knees are more picky at my age. (54)
HTH Casey
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 10:39 AM  
desie

I find that 15 or 18 minutes of Tonique leg toning is plenty. I don't like Addicted to Movement. I tried to like it, I really did, and would do the first 45 minutes as a workout. But the start has several reps in positions that do not feel great to warm up with, and I would put the dvd in, try to get into it, and turn it off.

I am not a Tonique hater, it comprises about a third of my workouts, I will tell you which ones I do happily. I love the bikini segments on her you-tube channel. Short and easy, but still very much her unique style. I love the express sculpt/cardio ones she did as her first downloads. There are 5, but I never do the cardio hopping download, so there are 4 that I do. You can find them on you-tube too, most of the time. These are not easy! But they are short, and you can modify or pace yourself, knowing that the effort is for only a short time. And I still do Tonique Premiere, which you can usually find in segments on you-tube. This is a longer workout and it can be too many reps to feel good for me. So I do the movements with the intention of building strength and locking in good form over quantity. I vary my dumbbells, using 2 or 5 or 8 lbs depending on the move, and don't worry about my speed. I don't do any of her mat work or down dog work, because I like yoga and TA and they cover it better.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 10:44 AM  
desie

I just read Casey's reply and I agree 100%, I could have written her post. I have done the workouts she mentions and they are in my "keep" pile of Toniques.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 11:49 AM  
Tammie M

[QUOTE=casey;2711242
If you just did Fem Fatale 1 & 3 you could get great results. Or just CardioSculpts and Sculpts 1&2. Or the San Sebastiens or CardioMat. I'm not into torturing myself, just getting results. Plus my knees are more picky at my age. (54)
HTH Casey[/QUOTE]

Casey, thanks for the information and suggestions. My knees are also very picky. I was disappointed in that the workout seemed more toning versus cardio. I am hoping that I like her Express workout on the dvd. I did like Verve.
Tammie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-17, 11:50 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

Thanks Casey. It really helps to kind of know where to start with lighter toniques.
Great that both you and Desi are in agreement so I will start with those mentioned in your post.

Tags
tonique