Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-17, 06:53 PM  
lorajc

Help With Motivation Please!

I've become a bit depressed about some life issues. I know doing cardio (severe cardio hater but do like dance) may help me a bit. I'm becoming more and more out of shape and think getting serious about trying to at least try baby step workouts will help, however, the longer I go and keep saying I'll start tomorrow........Or get over zealous and over do it.......The worse it gets.

In the past, when I was young and healthy, I never had motivation issues. I need suggestions for getting this right before it's even more out of control.

Also, one of the issues includes no income for a while which is going to continue, so I think focusing on my large collection of DVDs and getting serious now will help with this issue. Very out of shape.

Help? Is there hope for me? Thanks so much.

As many of you know, I'm an avid Ravi Ana KY devotee....And practice many times a week.....But that's it.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-17, 08:14 PM  
buffmama

There is always hope. Dancing helps, walking outside in the sun should help as well. Walking outside with others might help even more. One step at a time.
Old 03-21-17, 09:09 PM  
Genevieve M

Agree with the walking out in the sun. Also, if you want some variety to your workouts, there are lots of free workouts on youtube.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 04:36 AM  
cecififi

Hi Lorajc,

I am sorry you've been a bit depressed lately. I know when I've felt down about things I've also found it hard to workout. grrrrr. It's hard to find the joy in the something when feeling blue. Would talking with someone help? We have free health care and counselling where I live (community health centres). That said, when I am feeling down and want to work out I pull out Cathe's Hardstrikes. That music gets me moving every time! I love it. So, maybe find something that lifts you up and only commit to 10-15 minutes. It would be the start of a new habit. Once you've started, the motivation comes - it doesn't usually come before - especially if one is feeling down. At least this is what I've found. Also, maybe take a workbook out of the library like thoughts and feelings by matthew mckay or self-esteem by david burns. these works help to change thoughts so you can start feeling better. just an idea. Also, i find it easier to weight train when I am down - no cardio, no compound moves - just straight lifting.

Big hugs to you.
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 06:07 AM  
topfitmama

Hey Lorajc,

sorry to hear you're struggling with depression and life issues. It's hard when life throws you a curveball!
Know you're not alone. I'm struggling with difficult issues right now and I'm trying to learn how to deal with them differently. Problems often lead me to feel helpless and hopeless, and then I find it hard to commit to exercise too. My tendency to make poor dietary choices when I'm not happy only makes it even worse. I tend to go to food for comfort and forget about the things that actually feed my soul and help me see that not everything is as black as it may seem.

Here are some things I'm doing: I walk for about 20-30 minutes a day. Sometimes with company (my elderly next door neighbor ) or on my own. When I walk alone I try to pray or just enjoy nature (on nice days).
I've signed up for free trials at different streaming platforms to try something new. There's something exciting about doing a new workout, so that helps keep me motivated for a while. Of course, you have to remember to cancel your subscription if you don't want to pay.
I signed up to a free 21 day Pilates challenge that has turned out to be exactly what I needed. There's a new pilates workout delivered to my inbox every morning, which is both reminding me to take that time for myself and providing a new workout to try.

I don't know if you are a person of faith. I've found a lot of support in church friends. Just knowing that people who care are aware of what's going on is somehow comforting. My faith helps me to let go, even though sometimes I feel like it also adds a burden: I want to do the right thing.

Anyway....bottom line, I would say, is that you take care of yourself. Find things that you enjoy doing and don't sit around alone with your problems.

Hug to you, Lora!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 08:37 AM  
laurajhawk

Walking outside is a great suggestion.

Also, how about the cardio segments on your RaviAna DVDs? KY Radiance, Cardio/Stretch/Strengthen, and Dance the Chakras all have a fair bit of cardio in them. You can use the matrix to repeat segments, gradually increasing the cardio effect, and as a cardio hater (believe me I empathize with that) you can motivate yourself by programming a little yoga at the end as a reward.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 08:38 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
Walking outside is a great suggestion.

Also, how about the cardio segments on your RaviAna DVDs? KY Radiance, Cardio/Stretch/Strengthen, and Dance the Chakras all have a fair bit of cardio in them. You can use the matrix to repeat segments, gradually increasing the cardio effect, and as a cardio hater (believe me I empathize with that) you can motivate yourself by programming a little yoga at the end as a reward.

Laura-that is a great idea!

Lora-sending you lots of hugs!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 08:51 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I have to agree with the walking outdoors suggestion. The weather is warming up now (soon? hopefully? ) and when I'm feeling down or distressed and nothing appeals to me and my motivation is zilch, I can always find the gumption to go for a walk. This happened to me several years back. I started a few times a weeks and built up quickly to 7 days a week for 45 to 60 minutes. I also lost a lot of weight due to dietary changes but the walking helped me with stress relief, my cholesterol dropped 50 points, all other help markers improved. I'm working crazy hours now and can't get out to walk more than a few times a week but I still have kept the weight off and still get out to walk whenever I can fit it in. And obviously no need to purchase anything except a good pair of walking shoes. Good luck.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 10:43 AM  
cindyw75

I'm sorry you are going through this. I'm also having some struggles with my employer. Sending you good thoughts.

What I found motivational for me is to do what sounds good. And remember that anything is better than nothing.

There are a lot of videos on YouTube, so you can change things up without spending money on new DVDs. I highly recommend Jessica Smith TV on YouTube. She has 5, 10, 15 minute videos along with full length ones. Her barefoot walks are great for getting you moving. There is a 15-minute under the weather video that gets you moving without overdoing it.

Wishing you the best!
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-17, 10:49 AM  
Aunt Famous

Hey, friend.

First of all: Sorry that you are in a low period right now. I have been there. Heck, I'm pretty sure we've all been there. I recently read an article (maybe in The Atlantic?) about studies of brain activity during bouts of depression. Apparently the brain functions differently, especially in sleep cycles, at this time. The researchers had a theory that depression may be the body's mechanism for problem-solving, existential or otherwise. I have no idea if this is true, but I liked that explanation. Your body is trying to help you solve a problem.

Three thoughts.

1) One of my guiding principles is this: When you don't know what to do, do SOMETHING. I will tell myself this in all sorts of situations (work, home, exercise), and it usually makes things easier. Just do something. Maybe you could try it with exercise. A walk counts. Yoga counts. Hoisting soup cans over your head while marching in place for two minutes counts. Walking around the mall counts. Just do something.

2) I used to work out with a trainer. It was really intense, and during a particularly low time in my life, I just couldn't do it. She told me that you can only handle so much: Major life stress and intense exercise didn't combine particularly well. That helped me cut myself some slack.

3) I have also read about a study on writing -- that writing your own life story helps you understand it and think about your life differently. I blog, and writing my story has helped me immensely. If you like to write, or at least don't hate it, it may be worth a try.

Thinking about you, sending good thoughts your way, been there, too.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com

P.S. -- There is some research that walking outside in green space helps with depression and mood, so you may want to hit up a local park or trail if that's available to you.
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depression, focus, goals, motivation