Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-02, 09:56 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Question Pilates for Dummies DVD

I'm thinking of buying this DVD. It looks like a great deal! I found a breakdown of all the exercises on bn.com, and I think I would like it.

However, there is one thing that could potentially drive me nuts: the "for dummies" sound effects! I noticed that the DVD has an "instructor cueing only" option. Will this get rid of the sound effects and comments? I'd prefer to just hear Michelle's cues and play my own music.

Also, do the workouts (or at least the intermediate workout) move along at a decent pace, or is there a lot of instruction between exercises? I'd like some instruction (I have done other Pilates videos, but am a beg/int in Pilates), but I don't want to lie around too long between exercises.

All opinions welcome!

Colleen
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-02, 11:26 PM  
peggy h
VF Supporter

Can only answer one question

Colleen,

Even if I have the DVD, I've only used it as if I had the tape (i.e., not used the intermediate bonus workout and haven't tried to play around with the audio options) but the main workout does move at a fairly decent pace. You do not hang around waiting for the next move while a lot of explanations are going on.

Compared to the earlier Dummies tape (particularly the strength one), this does not have as many of those loud interruptions. I actually do like the tips because they show both more basic and more advanced moves.

I do have to emphasize that I am pretty much a beginner as far as Pilates is concerned so YMMV.
Old 01-04-02, 11:53 PM  
PamelaP

I only had this DVD for a short period of time, but I did the intermediate workout and it did not have any graphics, boingy-sproingy noises or anything like that. There was still a fair amount of instruction between exercises, and I'm pretty sure she only did 6 reps of most of the exercises and a few others may have been 10 (although I realize you don't typically do much more than that with Pilates anyway). Hope that helps at least somewhat.
PamelaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-02, 11:05 PM  
peggy h
VF Supporter

Colleen,

I tried the intermediate workout today....As Pamela said, there are no boingy-sproingy noises (did I spell this technical term correctly?) and no titles. In the beginner/main section, each new exercise had a title page "Hundreds" or "Rollups" etc.

I have only ever tried beginner level Pilates tapes and this intermediate workout, while repeating a number of the ones done in the beginner workout, does have a few exercises waaaaay above my limited capability. I definitely need to work on the one where you extend your feet above and beyond your head, for example!
Old 01-06-02, 05:11 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Thanks for the replies!

I'm going to buy this one. It sounds like a good workout. I'd like to do Pilates more often, and these workouts are shorter than most of the others I have. As long as there aren't too many "sproings", "sirens", or "buzzers", I should be OK! I liked the Yoga for Dummies workout, but the sound effects drove me nuts! :rolleyes:

Colleen
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilates for dummies