Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-16, 04:23 AM  
nckfitheart

Lightbulb Top Fitness scam you need to know about

Hi Everyone,

I came across this article yesterday and thought I need to share!

I like the why one should not blindly follow the charlatanism
There is an explanation about "why not follow"

http://www.healthylivingheavylifting...ry-charlatans/

Kind Regards,
nckfitheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-16, 01:48 PM  
topfitmama

I read the article, skimming through some parts of it because I'm not familiar with all the "experts" they discuss. I agree that we have to be careful not to follow any so-called "expert" blindly.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-16, 03:28 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

We need to keep in mind that this is one publication's opinion of these so-called charlatans and, of course, we're all smart enough to take everyone's opinions with a grain of salt and not blindly follow them either. :-)
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-16, 03:57 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
We need to keep in mind that this is one publication's opinion of these so-called charlatans and, of course, we're all smart enough to take everyone's opinions with a grain of salt and not blindly follow them either. :-)
Exactly! I actually disagree with the author on several points, and am generally a fan of some (though certainly not all) of the people on his list. I find nutrition and what people 'should' eat is highly individual and far more nuanced than what this author is suggesting.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-16, 04:50 PM  
Sara1000

The authors seem to know enough to criticize but do not sound like experts themselves. My guess is they did some research and compiled it into an article made up of second hand information.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-16, 04:57 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

They just seem to have taken some of these people's positions completely out of context. I was really shocked to see Joe Wicks on the list. I haven't done his plan personally, but his take on fitness and nutrition is very sound--no obsessive exercise, some resistance training, HIIT and a whole foods diet. Yes, he says 'eat more, exercise less,' but if you hear/read him in context, you'll see he is advocating eating sufficient, nutrient-dense foods to fuel your activities, and denouncing punishing, depleting exercise that can derail people's goals. The authors seems so married to their 'calories in/calories out' paradigm that they can't see a sound plan when it's presented to them.

I could comment on others, but I'll just get the thread closed, so I'll keep my mouth shut.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-16, 04:59 PM  
cherimac

I knew this would create controversy. I'm not a fan of most of these myself but I know many are. In general, I'm not a fan of anyone who promotes a one size fits all approach to nutrition or exercise.
Old 05-13-16, 06:18 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
The authors seem to know enough to criticize but do not sound like experts themselves. My guess is they did some research and compiled it into an article made up of second hand information.
That was my take. They needed something to talk about that would generate some controversy so they copied/pasted to form a mediocre argument at best. Many of their points seem quite lame and demonstrate little knowledge of the programs they criticize. And I can say that while fully agreeing that some of the people on their list are a crock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
They just seem to have taken some of these people's positions completely out of context. I was really shocked to see Joe Wicks on the list. I haven't done his plan personally, but his take on fitness and nutrition is very sound--no obsessive exercise, some resistance training, HIIT and a whole foods diet. Yes, he says 'eat more, exercise less,' but if you hear/read him in context, you'll see he is advocating eating sufficient, nutrient-dense foods to fuel your activities, and denouncing punishing, depleting exercise that can derail people's goals. The authors seems so married to their 'calories in/calories out' paradigm that they can't see a sound plan when it's presented to them.

I could comment on others, but I'll just get the thread closed, so I'll keep my mouth shut.
Agreed. And Wicks presents his information far more intelligently than these "experts". What are their credentials any way? Just a bunch of drivel listed under the "about" section, so where are the goods? Anybody who can set up a website can be an "online coach" these days...
Old 07-11-16, 04:39 PM  
aspidistra

I never heard of Joe Wicks but this makes me want to read more about his plan. The recipe they hated so much looks quite appetizing and it is very low in carbs. These critics are still on the low-fat bandwagon and completely unaware that has been discredited. I agree Oz and others that hawk supplements can be called charlatans. Anderson cannot, because her program worked for me. It's just exercise. Her mumbo jumbo explanations are why they added her to the list. But they left off Jillian Michaels who causes fat people to throw up from exhaustion by her method of humiliating exercise as punishment. And her dvds are the only fitness dvds many drug stores even carry, as she has established her brand so well. I find her far more dangerous than Tracy Anderson. Taubes did not invent his topic, that carbs and not fat cause weight gain and illness. He just researched and wrote about it. This list makes no sense. Why not add some more of my heroes like the Grain Brain and Wheat Belly doctors? If they want to go on the low fat, calories in calories out regime from the 1980s, at least attack all the anti-grain folks!
aspidistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-16, 06:37 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Very interesting article! Thanks for posting!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celebrities, fitness, scam, tracy anderson, unscientific claims