Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-16, 02:50 PM  
jenn38

Guidelines for Warming Up before fitness class

I just recently signed up for a Boot camp/HIIT type class. The class is approximately 20 minutes of exercise. When I took my first class there was no initial warm up before beginning the circuits. My first circuit was squat thrust/ sandbag deadlift combo.

How long before I head to class should I do a warm up? How long do your muscles stay warm after finishing a workout? Class is at 9:30 I live approximately 10 minutes away. Explaining the workout of the day is approximately 10 minutes and then we have 20 minutes of exercise. There is no official warm up or cool down included. At least not at my first class.

I could easily do 30-45 minute DVD before heading to class, I just want to be warmed up to not cause injury to myself but I do not want to be to exhausted to complete the planned workout of the day. After class I can come home and stretch.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 03-05-16, 03:44 PM  
Chomper

Wow, that's too bad. Is there anyway you could do simple mobility drills and jogging in place type warm up moves while they explain the workout, in that 10 minute time frame? Or are you afraid it would be too distracting?
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-16, 04:36 PM  
jenn38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Wow, that's too bad. Is there anyway you could do simple mobility drills and jogging in place type warm up moves while they explain the workout, in that 10 minute time frame? Or are you afraid it would be too distracting?
It might be distracting. The class is about 20 people. Some were stretching before she began talking. I'm thinking if I do a 30 minute DVD before I go I should be ok and then just kind of march in place, side taps, etc while she explains what we are doing for the class. I really enjoyed the class but @9:30 am I have done nothing but have coffee and watched TV waiting to go to class. So I need something.
Old 03-06-16, 07:26 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn38 View Post
It might be distracting. The class is about 20 people. Some were stretching before she began talking. I'm thinking if I do a 30 minute DVD before I go I should be ok and then just kind of march in place, side taps, etc while she explains what we are doing for the class. I really enjoyed the class but @9:30 am I have done nothing but have coffee and watched TV waiting to go to class. So I need something.
That sounds like a well-thought out plan. Can you give a shot for a few times and see how it works for you?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 09:56 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Maybe ask the instructor for ideas on how and when to warm up to avoid injury - in front of the rest of the class. This will also tip her off that you feel a warmup is necessary and others probably agree. Too bad she can't lead you all through a warm-up while explaining the class for that day. Maybe the specific exercises she does serve as a warmup and she can let you know that. If not, I'd at least do some marching, side-steps and upper body movement during the explanation (stretching cold muscles isn't a good idea).

I can't believe that a certified (is she?) instructor would have you just jump in and start working out and wouldn't at least tell you to warm up on your own first - and the importance of cooling down after. I don't think doing a 30-minute workout before you go is necessary and could lead to injury itself from overtraining.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 10:17 AM  
jenn38

She has a masters and doctorate in exercise science. This first class was a drop in / make up class. Maybe a full session is more thought out with warm ups. She is very attentive during class giving form pointers and modifications.

I'm not sure overtraining would be an issue as I normally exercise about an hour a day but I will keep that in mind. I will research mobility drills that I can do without being distracting and I will talk to the instructor and see what she recommends.

I really enjoyed the class and getting out of my comfort zone. We will see how tomorrow goes.

Tags
guidelines, warm ups, warm-up