Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-15, 01:22 PM  
momtoaboyandgirl

What are some good beginner Pilates dvds?

My only experience with Pilates is Mari Winsor's Bun and Thigh sculpting which I absolutely love.

I am looking for a good beginner pilates workout. I have really weak abs, I can do the hundred for a while but cannot do Teaser ( V sits).

I don't like push ups (if that's even involved just putting it out there)

I like the side lying leg series a lot and I like a lower body focus.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Kelly
Old 11-05-15, 02:08 PM  
BamaTanya

My first (and still a fave) was Ellen Barrett's Crunch Pick Your Spot Pilates.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
It was something I could actually do when I was overweight and I could feel the next day.
Hint: I've seen some on youtube. The disc used to be MUCH cheaper than that link.

I also really like Ana Caban.
https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Eas...ban-p/1111.htm
This one's for beginners except (in my opinion) the roll up.

Good luck with your workouts!
BamaTanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 02:11 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I like Kristin McGee's Pilates for Beginners: http://kristinmcgee.com/product/pilates-for-beginners - it has 4 short practices - 2 about 10 minutes each and 2 about 20 minutes each.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 03:07 PM  
Sandrine

How would you feel about Mari Winsor's original infomercial set? I don't remember the exact names, but it had a nice tutorial, a 20 minute w/o, and an "accelerated" (longer) workout. She does a good job of explaining correct form and moves at a comfortable pace; I still go back to these periodically.
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 03:30 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Hilary Burnett's Pilates Basics. Also the Classical Pilates organization has a dvd with 3 levels of workouts on it: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced. Both of these are taught in the original style of Joseph Pilates.
Old 11-05-15, 03:37 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Mari Winsor's Beginner Pilates is excellent. I wish she had made this with the first infomercial set. I know several people who were injured with the set and maybe the Beginner workout would've kept them safe. Or not, because they probably would've skipped it.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 03:49 PM  
bfit

There's a 10 Minute Solution Pilates for Beginners DVD. It has 5 10 minute workouts each with a different focus. There's also a very old DVD with Michelle Dozois called Pilates for Dummies that had very good instructions on proper form.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 05:53 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

My first Pilates DVD after learning it in a class was Winsor Pilates Endless Fitness for Strength and Body Slimming. I got it from Collage Video back in the day. I first got Winsor Pilates Endless Fitness for Beginners, but it was a little too easy for me even though I was deconditioned. I think Mari Winsor came out with the Endless Fitness DVDs for older people, but it was just right for me at 32 and a two year old injury that was still giving me trouble.

A few years ago I picked up Element Pilates for Weightloss because someone here on VF recommended it to someone else for a beginner DVD. Brook Siler is the instructor and I love her book. But I haven't done it, so I can't tell if its beginner enough for me.

I'm currently doing PT level exercises, which are basically Pilates exercises reduced down to be easier, so I won't be doing any of these DVDs for a while
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 06:22 PM  
dnna

Jennifer Giannis fusion pilates -she was in some Firm workouts back in the day
burn pilates Lisa Corsello
Keeping fit pilates with Andrea MetcalfThe Firm Sculptilates with Robyn Johnson
The Firm Pilates with Allison

aI like these because they are full body workouts, and Fusion Pilates and Burn also have cardio segments and both are an hour long, and feel like a really good workout to me. some pilates workout seem like just abs.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 07:00 PM  
hypnomoon

This is a favorite of mine for over 10 years! Once you get the moves down, this is to the point.

http://amzn.to/1WDrqWW

Liz Gillies 10 Minute Progressive Pilates
hypnomoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner pilates, favorite pilates dvds, pilates for dummies, winsor endless series