Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-15, 10:18 PM  
rockette
VF Supporter

Thanks for your replies!
Old 10-29-15, 01:14 AM  
CoolGirlinFl888

I started adding in strength work with my Firm or circuit workouts. Results: I can now carry with one hand the 24 sports bottle pack from Costco instead of using two hands and pausing every few steps to put it down. Firms focus a lot on upper body. I did Cardio Step today and was doing lots of biceps curls. They were actually starting to talk to me during the workout. I have been doing Cathe upper body but also TammiLee Webb I want that body and lower body work. I saw today that my upper body particularly my shoulders were shaping up quite well. I prefer my strength to also be 30 minute workouts as well. This is working out great for me. I never had a lot of upper body strength and the results have been quick coming. In my 20s I also used to do two workouts a day. Both cardio. I was in fabulous shape. I would walk at least a mile then teach a step or aerobic class for an hour at the gym in the evening. Since I love being physically active I loved it and adapted well.
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 02:31 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I used to do two Firm style workouts each day, one AM and one PM. I did not do this every day, but about 3 times a week. I was in great shape and lost a lot of inches, but I don't think I could do that at this point in my life. I do have nagging little injuries from that time.
Old 10-29-15, 07:00 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I have also done 2 workouts a day for many years. My focus and interest has changed over time, but the 2 a days still work for me.

My week looks like this now:

Monday: Weight train am, Bootcamp class pm
Tuesday: Bootcamp am and Bootcamp pm
Wednesday: Weight rain am, Bootcamp pm
Thursday: Run 4 miles am, Bootcamp pm
Friday: Bootcamp am, Weight train pm
Saturday: Bootcamp pm
Sunday: Run 4 miles am, DVD of some sort pm. (Usually Cathe HIIT or weights)

* My class is officially branded by my gym as "Bootcamp", but we change it up every single class with most of the moves being crossfit inspired. They offer 7 classes a week at this point and I attend them all. If you see this post, Michelle, I wanted to clarify that. We had a discussion on another thread about crossfit (which I know you do and are awesome at doing), and I called my class crossfit. I have since realized the class isn't actually branded as crossfit!
Old 10-29-15, 07:13 AM  
Vantreesta

When I still had time for a life instead of working all the time I worked out twice a day on weekdays for years. My general plan was yoga in the morning and alternating days of weights and cardio at night. I suck at mornings so doing high intensity then doesn't work well for me, but yoga helped wake me up and get me ready for the day. Weekends were just PM workouts usually. I love doing this bc there isn't enough time to fit in everything I want to do otherwise!

ETA plus 3 dog walks a day
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 08:57 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I've always preferred two moderate exercise sessions per day, and have even been doing this as a restarting beginner:

AM - a 12min Firm (from the 12 minute Time Crunch series), either cardio or weights
PM - a 45min Firm (currently from the Basics series, will switch to the Tri-Trainers once my stamina and strength improve)
(Plus yoga a couple of times a week with DH)

60 straight minutes of cardio/weights is too much for me right now, but this breaks up that hour in doable segments and feels right. In fact, I doubt I'll ever go back to 60 mins at one go again. I'd rather keep my main workout to 45 minutes and just lift heavier/work harder.

ETA - I, too, am a sleepy and reluctant morning exerciser, and fwiw two decent oldie-but-goodie workouts that provide a simple weighted 'punch' in little time are Tamilee Webb's I Want That Body and Cindy Whitmarsh's 10 Minute Solution Target Toning. Both offer 10-15 minute straightforward sessions where you can lift as light or as heavy as you want, no brainpower (or dreaded 'cardio bursts') required.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 10:57 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post

ETA - I, too, am a sleepy and reluctant morning exerciser, and fwiw two decent oldie-but-goodie workouts that provide a simple weighted 'punch' in little time are Tamilee Webb's I Want That Body and Cindy Whitmarsh's 10 Minute Solution Target Toning. Both offer 10-15 minute straightforward sessions where you can lift as light or as heavy as you want, no brainpower (or dreaded 'cardio bursts') required.
I try to do a trifecta of 30 min DVD in the morning (I don't always do 21 DF, but I like the sequence of cardio w/ weights, UB, LB, Pilates, cardio, total body weights, yoga), 30 minute walk or bike sometime during the day, and a 10 min yoga or stretch at bedtime. The Cindy Whitmarsh 10 MS Target Toning DVD has a very nice stretch chapter; so does Amy Bento's 10 MS Hot Body Bootcamp.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 10:59 AM  
Hazel Porter

I also have been doing two-a-days for a couple years, generally splitting up cardio (in the a.m.) and strength training (on my lunch hour). I would love to be able to do yoga a couple nights a week as well, but with my current family schedule, it's not possible on a more regular basis. Hopeful that once my oldest gets her license next year, I can add that to the mix. I started doing this to bust a plateau a few years ago and it was so successful I just stuck with it.

Here's my current schedule (I switch up my strength training program every 8-10 weeks; this is the most recent):

Monday: (a.m.) Run/sprints (20-30 min.)/(p.m.) Heavy lifting (3 sets of 12-10-8 reps), chest & shoulders + core (1 min. rounds)
Tuesday: (a.m.) Walk incline 45-60 minutes/(p.m.) Full body circuit (lighter weights/higher reps)
Wednesday: (a.m.) Plyometrics (20-30 minutes -- yesterday I did a few sections of X10)/(p.m.) Heavy lifting, legs & back
Thursday: Full body circuit (no second workout this day)
Friday: (a.m.) Walk incline 46-60 minutes/(p.m.) Heavy lifting, biceps & triceps + core work (1 min. rounds)
Saturday: (a.m.) Full body circuit (at home, so usually a Cathe workout of some kind, with more or less cardio depending on how I'm feeling that day)/(p.m.) Yoga
Sunday: (a.m.) Yoga or rest/(P.m.) Walk incline 60-75 min.

I find this plan works great for me -- I have problems doing cardio at any point after I've had my first big meal of the day (other than easy walking, maybe), so first thing in the morning is ideal. Strength training later in the day is better for me, too -- I'm rested and recovered adequately from the cardio session and I feel stronger and ready to lift after I've been up and about for half a day. (When I try to do cardio and strength together, the second workout always suffers.) Because I rarely sweat much during strength training, I don't have to take another full body shower before going back to work, and I find that taking that break in the middle of the day really energizes me for the afternoon. And then I sleep great at night!

I say give it a try for a few weeks. Just ease into it, maybe only add a second session 2-3 days a week, and monitor how you're feeling. Let us know how it goes!
Old 10-29-15, 03:02 PM  
bfit

When I was younger, single, and living in an apartment I ran in the early morning and then went to classes at a gym in the late afternoon/early evening. That was mainly because of my work schedule and also because it was difficult to do any exercise in the apartment. Now I exercise only in the morning, but I usually do sessions that are just as long as the total time taken up with twice a day workouts. I seem to have fewer injuries, and I'm never too tired to exercise the next morning which were problems that I sometimes had with 2x a day.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-15, 03:54 PM  
rockette
VF Supporter

Your responses are so helpful. Thanks!

Tags
sparks