Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-15, 02:24 PM  
rockette
VF Supporter

What was your experience with two a day workouts?

And what was your format? Considering doing this for a few weeks, please share your experiences!
Old 10-28-15, 03:05 PM  
wlorrie

I was working out for 1 hour a day in the mornings. I wanted to focus on getting stronger and losing fat so I had change my schedule. My schedule involves some 2 a day workout. It looks like this:
M, W- AM run, PM 20 minute abs
T, TH- AM weights, PM 30 minute cardio
Fri- AM run
Sat-Ab focused workout
Sun- Weights

Separating abs workouts from the general weights has given me a lot more strength and endurance for my core area.
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 03:45 PM  
dela

This is something I so desperately want to implement, one cardio and one strength, or even 1 stretch and 1 strength or cardio, but I just cannot get past the mentality that once my workout is done for the day, it's done. This is in part why it's really hard for me to string together 2 dvds.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 04:09 PM  
bubbles76

When I am in training I work out twice a day, but that's the only time I have the extra time. In the AM it was weights or cardio, in the PM it was yoga. Gained so much flexibility with this approach.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 04:18 PM  
noodles

I did this for well over a year and generally would work out at home for 45 - 60 minutes in the morning, 6 days/ week with mainly weights, then went to the gym for an hour circuit class 3 times/week. I ended up with overuse injuries, could not lose any weight no matter how hard i tried. Once I stopped the evening classes, my appetite lessened and I easily lost 8 pounds and the fat over my hips/ belly that was annoying the heck out of me. I think it depends on the intensity and what your goals are. For me I think it was over stressing my body likely resulting in high cortisol and fat retention instead of fat melting. Just my experience though, others may have had good luck with this.
Jamie
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 04:31 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
When I am in training I work out twice a day, but that's the only time I have the extra time. In the AM it was weights or cardio, in the PM it was yoga. Gained so much flexibility with this approach.
I do this too...I don't have a lot of time, so morning is my main BIG workout, and evening is Yoga.

Of course if I could just quit my job I could probably workout off and on all day.

But seriously this approach worked well for me too.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 04:35 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I work out first thing in the morning (usually a Firm) and go for a 3-mile walk 5 days a week immediately afterward. I guess that's 2 workouts a day. I feel great, have more energy and have toned up. I've also stopped eating most processed foods, so it's not just the exercise.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 04:56 PM  
ghm

i like to do two workouts a day with 25-40 min for am and 20-30 min for PM so typically still around 60 min or a little over. I like to have rotation to follow in the AM so it is plug and go. Most recently I finished a rotation of Delta Speed Shred. In evening it is usually whatever I am in mood for. I like kettlebells and sandbags so typically prefer that for the PM workout but I also signed up for Les Mils and sometimes do Pump. On weekend I might just do one workout one Sat and one on Sunday to give myself a break.
I tend to have a dread factor for those longer than 45 min at a stretch. Not because it is physically too demanding but rather because I get antsy and feel I should now be doing something else/bored.
ghm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 05:16 PM  
poohpeggy

I have done 2 workouts a day for years. I do not do 2 workouts a day if I am doing summer fun sports or lots of yard work or shoveling snow. I do cardio in the a.m. and weights in the late afternoon. I take 1 day a week off. My cardio is generally 6" Step, Kickbox, Hitt, 8" Step, Floor/Low-Impact. I really shake up weights. I do Total Body, Splits, One Body Part a day etc. I usually throw in a Circuit once a week. The trick for me is to shake it up so I do not overuse any part of my body. I also will sub in easier workouts or take unplanned rest days. I have a very sedentary lifestyle so maybe that's why it works for me.
poohpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-15, 08:35 PM  
Cafelattee

I do hiit workout before upper body lifting during a 3 day split rotation. I will do steady state cardio after a leg workout.

I trained this way most of the year except when I choose a metabolic or total body rotation. I don't' need to double up cause I burn more calories with these type of workouts.
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sparks