Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-26-15, 02:48 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Do you feel more motivated to exercise when you have a goal?

I sometimes feel like I have 2 personalities. When I have a goal, I am super-disciplined, and exercise every day. I lose the weight I want to lose, and feel like superwoman by the time I reach the goal. I recently set goals because I was attending an event that I wanted to look good for. Since that ended, the other personality has come out---the "I'll do it tomorrow and eat some chocolate" one.

I feel like setting goals are crucial. I think it's good to set some short-term and long-term goals. I know that a lot of people here say that they have made exercise a habit, like brushing their teeth, so they don't have to set specific goals, but that's not the case for me anymore. I need goals. I'm thinking of something like a Thanksgiving 5K.

What goals do you set for yourself that keep you motivated?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 03:34 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I sometimes feel like I have 2 personalities. When I have a goal, I am super-disciplined, and exercise every day. I lose the weight I want to lose, and feel like superwoman by the time I reach the goal. I recently set goals because I was attending an event that I wanted to look good for. Since that ended, the other personality has come out---the "I'll do it tomorrow and eat some chocolate" one.

I feel like setting goals are crucial. I think it's good to set some short-term and long-term goals. I know that a lot of people here say that they have made exercise a habit, like brushing their teeth, so they don't have to set specific goals, but that's not the case for me anymore. I need goals. I'm thinking of something like a Thanksgiving 5K.

What goals do you set for yourself that keep you motivated?
I really enjoy exercising, so don't need a goal to keep it up. I do need a goal to lose weight, which needs to be done. Since I like to exercise, that isn't going to help solve the problem.

Congrats on getting to your goal and feeling good at your event.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 04:42 PM  
TinierTina

No. Goal-free.

I'm nearly as laid-back as it gets. Gamification is quite OK, though; and I've grubbed SparkPoints on SparkPeople.com in my life.

Much too much of a competitive streak (even if it had never started out in any physical realm—a legacy from my education in grades 7 - 12), so — while I am nowhere near an avoidant type of person — I have ultra-short-term aims. AND nothing that will add stress to my life.

No goals.

I will not turn my fitness program into something done in a magnet high school. I think a "mental gold star" should be more than sufficient.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 05:56 PM  
lingo10

It all depends, sometimes I have a goal in mind and other times, I just do it because I feel like it and its apart of me, I am one with exercise & wellness in general.

Sure you can push harder if you have a goal to get better and stronger.

FT25 Alpha, Beta, Gamma Grad 4/14
Insanity Grad 8/14
Insanity Max 30 Grad 3/15, 2x Grad 11/15
Current Programs/Workouts: Caroline Girvan's Iron Series & Other Mixed Workouts.
lingo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 06:04 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Not really, except to keep up on my joint mobility and pain relief. If I don't move every day I don't feel good. I really enjoy my exercise, though. I'm at a good weight and feel great so I'm not changing anything.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 06:34 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
Not really, except to keep up on my joint mobility and pain relief. If I don't move every day I don't feel good. I really enjoy my exercise, though. I'm at a good weight and feel great so I'm not changing anything.
This. I have nothing else to add!
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 06:35 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
No. Goal-free.

I'm nearly as laid-back as it gets. Gamification is quite OK, though; and I've grubbed SparkPoints on SparkPeople.com in my life.

Much too much of a competitive streak (even if it had never started out in any physical realm—a legacy from my education in grades 7 - 12), so — while I am nowhere near an avoidant type of person — I have ultra-short-term aims. AND nothing that will add stress to my life.

No goals.

I will not turn my fitness program into something done in a magnet high school. I think a "mental gold star" should be more than sufficient.
I like the idea of a "mental gold star"
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 06:37 PM  
ncl

That is a no for me, but it depends on the kind of goal you are talking about. Whenever I do a rotation, I find my motivation lags by about week 3 or 4 because I get bored and sometimes I get injured doing one type of thing over and over (like a lot of heavy weightlifting just makes me hurt).

However, my goal for a long time has been to a. have fun and enjoy my workout in whatever way the workout brings and to b. decide on what workout I will do based on what my body feels like doing that day. This last one has been one of the most difficult goals but also the most rewarding. These goals are helpful for me but I really find that working out and physical activity are motivating in and of themselves because they make me feel better. That is my real motivation.

For weight loss, it does help to have daily calorie goals. I always eat clean, I just love food and it helps to watch portion sizes.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-15, 07:09 PM  
Jeanne Marie

For me, goals are self defeating. If I set an "end point", such as I want to look good for Event A, then once that's over what do I do next?

So early on in my fitness journey I decided that the only goal I have is to work out always. I do the best I can do, every single day. I am competitive to the extent that I want to be the very best I can be with what I have to work with. Right now that's an almost 60 year old body that's pretty fit, strong and flexible.

I don't wear any of the latest, greatest fitness gadgets that track calories, heart rate, steps, etc. I'm probably the last hold out in that regard, but I don't have any need to know all that stuff. I just do it. The details are not important to me. I know that I am doing the best I can do, so that's enough.
Old 10-26-15, 11:14 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
This
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
benchmarks, fitness lifestyle, goals, incentives, motivation