Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-15, 08:03 AM  
little bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
Tricky for me: muscle building = calorie surplus, fat loss = calorie deficit UNLESS I'm incredibly detailed with my eating and I haven't had the energy or focus (or working kitchen, until recently) to get compulsive like that. I usually focus on one - the first half of the year has been heavy weights lifted to failure - then I try to maintain my strength gains but up the cardio. Since I'm 50 and in some weird perimenopause right now, the exact combination of fuel and workouts is eluding me.
Okay, I am older than you and on the other side of menopause. I have found that protein supplementation with a clean diet is working great for me.
Old 07-28-15, 08:12 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Great questions!

1. What are your goals? To be able to do a TGU with #16 kg kettlebell and unassisted pistols

2. What is your body type? 5'2'', meso

3. What have you been focusing on? Strength through the Simple and Sinister program with Mark de Grasse bodyweight and Lauren Brooks kettlebell work mixed in.

4. What are you planning for the Fall? Continue what I'm doing

5. If you had a free gift DVD or 2 - what would they be? or 1 System?

DVD - I think Joey Alvarado's Kettle Jitsu DVD, but what I'd really love and am pining for is a Strong First kettlebell workshop, preferably close enough to where I live so I don't have to travel.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 08:48 AM  
LoveVA

1. What are your goals? To maintain my weight at its current level (115), maintain my strength and cardio gains.

2. What is your body type? I can't figure it out. I have a small frame (ectomorph), but I can gain fat and muscle easily (endomorph), but I'm not stocky anymore since incorporating the Firm and increasing strength training to 3x/week. I have a more athletic build and am strong (mesomorph). I'm probably more meso at this point and I'm 5'2" ETA: The quiz that Pat58 referenced below says I'm a mesomorph (38%; with 38% ectomorph, 25% endmorph).

3. What have you been focusing on? I've been focusing on getting stronger for a year now. I didn't even notice how much my cardio endurance has improved over the same time period until I saw my heart rate monitor fall to 58 when at rest the other day. I've become such a Classic Firm fan as a result of the changes I've seen in my body recently.

4. What are you planning for the Fall? Continue with Classic Firm/Tracie Long, Jari, Tonique, and some Cathe/Michelle cardio. That seems to be my magic ticket. However, I'd like to incorporate more yoga.

5. If you had a free gift DVD or 2 - what would they be? or 1 System? I would have to say yoga. I do mainly UY and I'd like to try other instructors. I like the style of UY yoga, I'd just like to try someone else for variety's sake.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 09:10 AM  
lorajc

Oh...one more added question....is what you are doing being effective???
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 09:14 AM  
BunnyHop

1. What are your goals?
Better stamina and strength

2. What is your body type?
Not sure what you're looking for here. Working to heal a sore foot.

3. What have you been focusing on?
Kelly Coffey Meyer's weight workouts, nothing with too much impact

4. What are you planning for the Fall?
More of the same, with probably more walking outdoors in the cooler temperatures

You mean to give to someone else?
KCM's Muscle UP and/or Weights. My two favorite of hers.

I also like Classical Stretch/Essentrics, but haven't been using them lately.
Old 07-28-15, 09:21 AM  
Bubbeez

1. What are your goals? To lose weight overall and lean out.

2. What is your body type? Hourglass and I'm 5'10. So I have to lose at least 20 lbs before any hard work is noticeable!

3. What have you been focusing on? Matwork (Ballet Beautiful, Buns of Steel, Winsor Buns & Thighs), high rep/low weight, more stretching a la CS and Essentrics. For cardio: Dancing, walking, step.

4. What are you planning for the Fall? More of the same.

5. If you had a free gift DVD or 2? Shaun T Rockin Body or Cize. I love Zumba, but I'm not sure I'd like Shaun. So it would be great if it were free!
Bubbeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 09:57 AM  
Kitten

Oh...one more added question....is what you are doing being effective??? Too soon to tell, but the scale went down this week
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 10:02 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

1. What are your goals?

Muscle definition, flexibility, pain management and bone health.

I took a quiz at bodybuilding.com and it says I'm between an endomorph (38%) and a mesomorph (50%) and it recommends focusing on weight training, alternating low weight/high rep with moderate to heavy weights, keeping body fat down and cleaning up the diet. Add menopausal body issues to that mix (ass migrated to abdomen; skin starting to sag; fatigue and lethargy).

I've been all about Margaret Richard lately with the addition of yoga and Pilates. When my ankle is rehabbed I plan to walk more and do cardio at the gym once or twice a week and go through for some heavier weights.

4. What are you planning for the Fall?

Keep up the MR rotation but add more cardio.

If there were free DVDs available I'd select Rodney Yee's Complete Yoga for Beginners and start collecting Unplugged downloads from Margaret's website.

6. Is what you are doing effective?

I would say yes. I have been laid up with the darn ankle injury for so long, but knock on wood I'm not gaining weight and my clothes still fit - maybe even a little better. And these workouts were practically crippling when I started - I couldn't make it through the sets. Now I'm starting to improve my stamina and endurance, and starting to increase the weights used.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 10:03 AM  
little bird

1. What are your goals? To look great & feel great.

2. What is your body type? Hourglass

3. What have you been focusing on? Getting back into the habit of exercising and making sure that I enjoy it. To make sure that I am not putting unnecessary pressure on myself.

4. What are you planning for the Fall? I have not made that decision yet.

5. If you had a free gift DVD or 2? - what would they be? or 1 System? Body Beast because I don't lift heavy. Firms are the foundation of my workouts. Free would be great for me to try it out .

6. Is what you are doing effective? Yes, I am losing fat and gaining muscle. I am supplementing with a protein smoothie.
Old 07-28-15, 10:16 AM  
Sissy B

1. What are your goals?
To be strong, healthy & fit.

Hourglass

Adding activity in where I can - I got a Fitbit a few months ago.

4. What are you planning for Fall?
I have exercise ADD so I am not planning a specific rotation but I do want to be more consistent with my workouts. I have gotten off track this summer due to a sinus/upper respiratory infection. I also plan to do workouts I enjoy.

5. If you had a free gift DVD/System?
I would love to have Les Mills PUMP.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goals