Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-15, 10:28 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Yes, women, never object to being objectified, it means you have low self esteem and are jealous.

Jealously assumes someone has something you want. None of those photos are of anything i want. Those women may very well have fun and excitement in their lives that might make me jealous, but the photos- nope. to each their own.)
That lifestyle via the #killerabsallthetime channel on Instagram is also bought, paid for, and above all, staged ... how subversive ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 08:59 AM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I don't understand the comments the blogger made. What point is she trying to make? Sounds like someone with self-esteem issues who is jealous of those in the pictures who should be proud of their hard work. Or, I'm just totally clueless.

Also, there's a typo in #8.
I'm with you Joni. If you don't find these things inspirational, don't use them for inspiration. Find something else - there are plenty of options out there. Some of us LIKE these.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 10:31 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I think the point, and I agree with it, is that these images tend to perpetuate a very narrow, and unattainable for most people, image of what fitness is, and they're often paired with shaming statements implying people who don't look like those images are lazy, making excuses, not attractive, etc. That is problematic in itself, but I think she makes a particularly compelling point in showing how objectifying most of those pictures are. While you are right that the women in those photographs should definitely be proud of all of their hard work, they are people and the way those photos are edited and text added does not celebrate them as human beings. It generally reduces them to some abs or breasts to be stared at (hence her pointing out how often they are headless/faceless). I wouldn't say it's jealousy: I'd say she thinks those women deserve better, and women who do not look like that needn't feel ashamed about that either.
This!!! Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristinalatina View Post
I'm surprised by the implication that the blogger might be just jealous! Not everyone aspires to having a fitness model body! In my case, slim and fit enough to care for my very active boy is enough, but to each their own. Doesn't anyone think that some of the women posing for these pictures might be extremely self conscious ?

I actually think that implication is somewhat offensive. You must be some jealous fat chick if you don't like these pictures...what a load of hooey! The sarcasm was mostly over the way these women were marketed and objectified (no faces, boob shots etc). Those pictures invite controversy because they send a written message that clearly says if you aren't like the photo it's because you are lazy, defective in your choices etc. It couldn't possibly be because you chose other things to do with your time, don't value the end gain or don't have the resources. And maybe some people just completely reject the whole "look at me, look at me, look at me", selfie driven, superficial environment that seems to plague our generation. Maybe they think that compassion and humanity should be valued above physical representation. Maybe they think that more time should be spent on improving world hunger, community service, intellectual pursuits etc. But it's all cupcakes if you are not choosing 6 pack abs.

In some arenas these women might be considered pretty darn silly in their headless, scantily clad, brooding poses complete with cheap cliches. So to those folks who think it must be jealousy to object, consider that it might just be a completely different perspective. Personally, I love my fitness pursuits but this is a fitness board so it attracts that focus. There is a bigger world with other viewpoints. And to those who say, "look elsewhere if you don't like it", sure. But the messages bleed into our world so discussion happens
Old 06-09-15, 10:54 AM  
TinierTina

Look, when even Madonna or Paris Hilton do Fitspo, it's not the same thing ...

Well, I did mean Madonna in her heyday did fitspo via print media ...

And there are far more talented than those two (imho) in varying media, at least ;who are doing Fitspo ... right now ...

Part of the reason I asked in which action flick did Jennifer that I did not know about; have an acting role ...

People don't come down on Rihanna, Jennifer Aniston, Lady Gaga or even Jillian Michaels for their Fitspo ... it's kind of an unwritten code of fandom ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
Old 06-09-15, 11:01 AM  
bubbles76

I just thought the blogger was trying to be funny . I didn't think her message was that deep. I'm another one that agrees the blogger is not necessarily some fat chick jealous of the skinny girls. I like SOME fitspiration memes, but definitely not all. Not the snarky "What's your excuse?" ones, but the ones that really are motivational or thought provoking. I'm a skinny, fit chick that can definitely see the humor in her posts.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 11:25 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

"Humor. It is a difficult concept. It is not logical."

Lt. Saavik, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 11:32 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I have sort of mixed feelings about fitspo. Some of the models really do look lovely, and some of the captions are motivating... others are shaming, or imply that if you don't look like the model it's just because you aren't working hard enough. And some are just stupid ("sweat is fat leaving your body." Oh, ok. Please.)

But I have noticed this disturbing trend on social media--this incredible narcissism that all images should be immediately related to ourselves. Apparently there is a large segment of the population that feels we can no longer simply admire something--we must BECOME it or it's out to shame us.

I make somewhat elaborate birthday cakes for my sons. I'll make animals or characters out of fondant and the like. They're not totally over-the-top, but they're out of the ordinary, for sure. I used to be an art teacher and it's a fun creative outlet for me.

I'll post pictures (along with other party snaps), and while most people are complimentary, I'll get some snarky remarks about how I'm one those mothers. I must have too much time on my hands, that sort of thing. I can feel the eye-rolling. I'm always amazed by this. Why is my child's birthday cake an issue for these people? Why do they act as if my cake is some kind of indictment of their own parenting? FWIW, we have parties at home, my children are not over indulged, etc.

I just don't understand why people take my kids' cakes so personally... I do think some of that goes on in reactions to fitspo.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-15, 11:37 AM  
Pascal

I actually kinda like fitspo, but I wanted to jump in and say Meredith, the woman who posted this in her blog, is not overweight.
Old 06-09-15, 11:43 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I actually kinda like fitspo, but I wanted to jump in and say Meredith, the woman who posted this in her blog, is not overweight.
And Meredith had never really been overweight at any time.

But being compassionate towards all sizes and politically correct, are independent of current weight, success at weight management/maintenance, gender or desire/perceived intrinsic need to lose weight.

At times hard to believe, I know.

In the Health at Every Size movement, one of the linchpins Dr. Linda Bacon (I know: very evocative surname ...) has never had a weight problem of any kind ...

-Bettina

Old 06-09-15, 11:55 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post

But I have noticed this disturbing trend on social media--this incredible narcissism that all images should be immediately related to ourselves. Apparently there is a large segment of the population that feels we can no longer simply admire something--we must BECOME it or it's out to shame us.

I make somewhat elaborate birthday cakes for my sons. I'll make animals or characters out of fondant and the like. They're not totally over-the-top, but they're out of the ordinary, for sure. I used to be an art teacher and it's a fun creative outlet for me.

I'll post pictures (along with other party snaps), and while most people are complimentary, I'll get some snarky remarks about how I'm one those mothers. I must have too much time on my hands, that sort of thing. I can feel the eye-rolling. I'm always amazed by this. Why is my child's birthday cake an issue for these people? Why do they act as if my cake is some kind of indictment of their own parenting? FWIW, we have parties at home, my children are not over indulged, etc.

I just don't understand why people take my kids' cakes so personally... I do think some of that goes on in reactions to fitspo.
The snarky comments are unfortunate. I think the creativity and the thoughtfulness of making something joyful for your son are wonderful I'm glad that you don't include insulting slogans in the icing lol

I think you are right about the narcissism. But part of it is that people feel so judged these days. Because they are. That is one of the major points about Fitspo. Stop telling people they need to be something to be accepted. Just let folks live this beautiful life without shaming, denigrating etc. It is possible to inspire with positive undertones.

Tags
body image, fitness models, fitspiration, hall of shame, humor, self-esteem