Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-15, 01:36 PM  
zellybelly

For me I had to "stop thinking" and just do. This also made me fall in love with rotations ie it was decided for me.

If I find myself thinking too much I know I need to stop and just do, the next day, the next day... lather, rinse, repeat
Old 05-07-15, 01:49 PM  
smith938
VF Supporter

I also had to stop thinking and planning so much- just one day decided my health was bad and being overweight wasn't helping- started walking - added back in Leslie and my rebounder with music and watching virtual walks - added back in ellen, yoga zone, and this go 'round I added some newish ones- margaret richard and gilad and kelly coffey-meyer -a long with the classical stretch and misc stuff. this morning I was very time crunched and didnt' feel like making any decisions- got dressed for work and walked 15 min outside with map my walk app on my phone. if I can't decide and the weather is nice and decent time of day then I walk...otherwise I give myself a little bit to decide what I feel like doing then I do it. if it's been a while since KCM or cardio or yoga then I ask myself if I"m in the mood- if definitely no and strongly for something else then I do the something else - if nothing else really screams for me to do it and KCM or cardio(whichever I haven't done as much of lately) doesn't scream NO then that's what I'll do. I"ve found the shorter workouts seem to get done more so I've added more to my workouts - just bought a season of Gilad body sculpt on amazon to stream and a season of margaret richard's unplugged. usually at night I can mo tivate myslf to do a margaret richard or gilad ...and leslie I can almost always get in a mile or one of jessica smith's 15 min walks

just knowing it's important gave me a swift kick in the motivation department thi spast Christmas . can't affordt o restart again so have to stay on my game.

so pick what you like and start doing it then add in stuff gradually here and there that's similar or even different and keep going
Old 05-07-15, 01:59 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I skimmed posts, so maybe this was already mentioned. Consider joining a check-in--knowing someone is waiting for you to post can help you get in that work out. I'm in a couple of them, and while it's not like they'll beat me up if I don't, we do remind each other that this is important and also give suggestions to help get those workouts in.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 02:43 PM  
Aunt Famous

I sometimes think of exercise and good health as a constant game of (what I call) small ball. It's consistently making the free throws, the lay-ups, the easy jump shots -- not the impressive dunks or the showmanship. You know, focus on the fundamentals. Here's what I mean, health-wise.

I teach fitness classes. I'm always telling my class to make one good choice at a time. Pick water instead of soda. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Stand up to work, don't sit down. Hula hoop during the commercials. Build on the small things, and start a culture of taking care of yourself.

I also tell my classes to figure out what they love and do it. (For instance, if they hate spin, they certainly won't hurt my feelings if they don't show up in spin ever again.) If you hate to run, just don't. I give you permission. But walk or dance or swim instead.

Every little bit counts. It's easy to say that you can't workout because you only have 10 minutes. But Leslie makes 10 minute walks. There are 10 minute workouts on YouTube. You can walk for 10 minutes, or you can hoop. I got a Fitbit. It's helped, and when I don't want to take the stairs, it motivates me because I really want to get those 10,000 steps a day.

And finally (and then I'll pipe down), approach this -- and do this -- out of love. I love myself, so I'm going to do something good. You wouldn't ignore the needs of someone you love, would you? Don't ignore your own. When I changed my focus to taking care of myself from working out or punishing myself or trying to completely change how I looked, it got to be much more of a pleasure. I'm eating well because it makes me feel better. I do Pilates because it helps me stand taller and relaxes me. I dance because it fills me with joy. I do all of these things because I love myself and want to be around, in great condition, for a very long time.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted!

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 03:52 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I've tried hard to think of a good answer to your question. I have worked out regularly for so long for so many reasons.

The biggest motivator for me has been FEAR. Most of my family died of lingering, dreadful diseases. I see folks around me waste away due to inactivity.

Go to the supermarket and see folks of all ages leaning on their carts because it is too much effort to stand up straight. See teenagers in the mall with appalling posture. We all have relatives who can barely get up out of their chairs. And they aren't that old!

Ever watch the evening news? Every single commercial is for pharmaceuticals. What does that say about this country?

Picture yourself with osteoporosis and falling and being in a home because you were waiting to start working out.

Get it in gear!
You are a goddess. This is EXACTLY what I wanted to say--especially in light of the recent thread about the MIL who fell and couldn't get up.

My mom died from complication due to MS. My dad died of lung cancer and heart disease. Both were only 66 years old when they died. Both of my grandfathers had type 2 diabetes; one of my grandmothers had emphysema. All of them were smokers; none of them exercised; all of them had a crap diet. I didn't win any longevity lottery, even though some of these diseases were lifestyle-related. I'm 59 and no way in hell do I want to shuffle off this mortal coil 7 years from now.

I do enjoy my walks and my yoga and lifting weights, and even if I don't feel like it, I do it. Exercise does great things for my mood and my self-esteem, and I look pretty darn good for someone who is pushing 60. I don't want to end up like my parents and grandparents. So I have chosen to exercise regularly (and like Vintage VFer and Jeanne Marie, I have done so for decades) and to be very mindful of what I put into my mouth. Not reliving my family's lousy health history is a HUGE motivator for me.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 04:11 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I agree with those who said, 'just do it!' For some people, all the planning that goes into rotations can just be a stall tactic, for others it's motivating. I know one thing I really enjoy about rotations is not having to think too much about my workout from day to day. I just follow the rotation. For others, though, the freedom to just do what sounds good works better. I think you just have to experiment to see where you fit on that continuum.

I know for me it's helpful to do something every day. I might just do a stretch or a Leslie, but doing at least something daily keeps me on track. If I take a day off, it's harder for me to get back into it.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 05:10 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiceena View Post
...But here is my dilemma - I feel like I'm always waiting. I'm waiting for the right time to start this new rotation or the right this or the right that. I know circumstances will never be perfect, but how do I overcome the initial hump. I am making excuses, I know this, and I want to stop making them.
I haven't read through all the comments, but this is what helps me:

Try your best to resist the Perfectionist Mentality with exercise. Don't be a "Monday starter", if you know what I mean. Start a rotation on a different day of the week, if it will get you out of the "everything must be perfect before I begin" state of mind.

Choose workouts that will build your confidence. Ellen Barrett is perfect for this, as is Jessica Smith. Any easy, feel-good movement. You can get to the harder stuff later if you want to, but for the first several weeks or months choose the soothing, confidence-building stuff. Don't do anything that will leave you limping from doms or filled with dread.

If at all possible, try to do some kind of movement every day. This is another reason to choose workouts with a lighter intensity. For me, working out (or at least moving) every day is crucial for me to get back into a consistent routine, and to make exercise a habit that I will stick with. Of course, if you later choose workouts that are super-intense, you may have to modify this.

Hopefully this helps. I'm only just now getting back into the groove of things myself. (I seem to be a perpetual starter and stopper, ha ha!)
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 05:20 PM  
Candiceena

The last two posts really hit home for me!

I have been thinking about this on and off all day ... I think the key, for me, to building the habit is about doing it daily.

Quote:
For me, working out (or at least moving) every day is crucial for me to get back into a consistent routine, and to make exercise a habit that I will stick with.
Quote:
I know for me it's helpful to do something every day. I might just do a stretch or a Leslie, but doing at least something daily keeps me on track. If I take a day off, it's harder for me to get back into it.
This is totally me. Once I take a day off, it is exponentially harder to get going again. In the past, that is what has messed me up. Without the act of changing into my workout clothes and pressing the play button, it's like the ties in my brain get cut and I suddenly don't have the habit that I've been building for the last 2 weeks. Not to say that I have never gotten back to it, but thinking it over now, I am realizing, I think part of ingraining the habit is doing something every single day. And doing things that make me feel successful.

I have a lot of Jessica's DVDs, and I recenly bought Powerfit 5 and KCM Start Here. I noticed Jessica has some playlists too, on YT - one for 5 min workouts (QuickFit), one for 10 min or less workouts, and one for 15 min workouts (FitIn15). Going to start working amongst those things to help get myself back in the groove and just pick whatever feels "good" ... maybe it will just be a 5 min stretch or maybe on a weekend day I'll pick a 40 minute ballet-inspired routine.
Old 05-07-15, 05:58 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Having gone through a period of time in my life that I could not exercise at all due to two car accidents and 3 lower back surgeries in 3 consecutive years made me realize what a "gift" that something as simple as walking truly is. I was an advanced exerciser and preparing for my first bodybuilding comp when the first accident occurred. Everything that I worked so hard for went out the window in a few short seconds. Coming back from this I started off as a true beginner, a level that I had never been at ever, because I was always so active.

So my advised would be. When you wake up each morning the first thing you should do is thank your higher being for your health, and that you're able to feel the earth under your feet. You'll be amazed how this simple gesture will get you up and running. This is what I adopted when I started my journey back into fitness.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-15, 06:56 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelly View Post
Try your best to resist the Perfectionist Mentality with exercise. Don't be a "Monday starter", if you know what I mean. Start a rotation on a different day of the week, if it will get you out of the "everything must be perfect before I begin" state of mind.
This, in combination with the "do SOME kind of movement every day". It can be really helpful to commit to a rotation, but if there's some reason you can't (or even won't) do today's workout on the rotation, do something else. Do something shorter, if you're short on time, or easier, if you're not feeling good enough/strong enough/were just sick/didn't get enough sleep.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
binder, excuses, goals, motivation