Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-15, 02:45 PM  
antbuko

There's a Leslie workout that I find really soothing. I think it's on 5 Day Slim Down. Leslie is alone and she, the music and even the set are all very sedate and I find it soothing. I think it'd be just the ticket for you.
Old 01-09-15, 02:50 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
This was me earlier this week as well. I know this won't necessarily snap anyone out of the doldrums but it made me smile:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...ntent=20150106
Lol! Frickin' baby pandas get me every time! Lol!
Old 01-09-15, 03:09 PM  
ncl

Yes, a bit down for me in the winter. I was taking low dose antidepressant for a few weeks and while it helped my mood, it made me sleepy, dumb and I gained 5 lbs in a few weeks! Darnit! I actually feel more awake off of it, but mood not as good which sounds a little nuts but it is what it is. I could not deal with the sleepiness and let's face it, the weight gain which will take me months and a lot of hard work to undo. My jeans don't fit anymore.

When I was on the med, I quit using my light box but started back this morning. That does help. I am also taking vitamin D. My levels are normal but on the low end.

Exercise helps.

I also meditate most days and that helps.

Getting outside helps.

Hanging out with DH helps. He makes me laugh.

Also I see a therapist and that helps a lot.

Massage helps and I do that regularly, too.

I actually sound like either a) I am very good at taking care of myself or b) I am very high maintenance! Ha ha! Hope everyone is feeling better soon. It's nice to know I'm not alone. I mean, I know that, but helps to hear it from actual other people.

Last edited by ncl; 01-09-15 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Edited to add that dancing helps, too. A lot.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 03:33 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
There's a Leslie workout that I find really soothing. I think it's on 5 Day Slim Down. Leslie is alone and she, the music and even the set are all very sedate and I find it soothing. I think it'd be just the ticket for you.
That's one of my favorites, too!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 06:48 PM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
This is a rough time of year in general. You have the cold, grey, dark days and there is also the post-holiday let-down and the feeling that there is just nothing to look forward to.
I'm actually glad the holidays are over. I still feel a bit flat, like all the excitement is over, but the sense of relief that I don't need to go to parties, bake cookies, hunt down presents and decorate makes up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I also recommend getting outside as much as you can - I know sometimes it isn't possible b/c of the weather but take any chance you can to get some outdoor light. I find it helps me, even if it is just a small dose.

Donna
I couldn't agree more, Donna.
A regular schedule and eating healthy foods is very helpful too. The school holidays were a bit longer than usual this year, and I was ready to get back into a schedule by the time the kids had to go back. I enjoy sleeping in and staying up later to read a book, but my body thanks me when I stick to a more regular schedule. Too much sugar, caffeine and alcohol plus heavier meals and a less structured day left me feeling awful.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 06:51 PM  
TinierTina

Emerging slowly from a Lengthy Mild Depressive Period myself ...

But the actual world is not cooperating too much.
Such as, I am not finding a job.
Such as, whereupon, deciding to limit my exposure to using charge account ... repeatedly, recently, had been a victim of credit card fraud, but finding that a bank I know and love doesn't know how to do arithmetic ...
Such as, going back to paper statements and paper in general ... because that's my default mode when I am not depressed and preoccupied

This list can go on and on ...
must I let it?

The bright spots are:
  • I actually discovered a Leslie Sansone workout that I actually like; could combine it with dance.
  • I think it took a few days for my apartment to finally be somewhat adequately heated ...

• Acknowledging that the deep freeze (outdoors) is real ...
  • Continuing to stay off Facebook (been going strong for about a year now-I've a deactivated account) ... remains a THING!

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 07:43 PM  
aquakat

I got depressed driving around doing errands today. Cold and gloomy here, and the news from Paris makes me so sad.

I talked myself into a quick 15-minute workout -- Firm Rock Solid Buns Express. That did help.
aquakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 08:28 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
  • Continuing to stay off Facebook (been going strong for about a year now-I've a deactivated account) ... remains a THING!
Sorry you are going through a tough time. Hang in there. Getting off Facebook is a very good idea. I have reduced my Facebook time alot recently mainly because it is a huge time suck and I have lost interest. But also it can get
depressing seeing how other people's lives seem so great. Remember people only show the good and they exaggerate.(Well today that wasn't true as someone I know posted that she was leaving her husband because of his infidelity!-this is a first in my experience with Facebook.)
Anyway one of the things other than getting off FB altogether that can be helpful is just blocking certain people's posts from your news feed.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 08:42 PM  
Footballnut

Oh my gosh! Totally feeling anxious AND depressed. I hate this time of year. To top it off, I'm battling a hormone hell and I think my thyroid is on the fritz. So basically I'm a big fat mess. I haven't been working out either. My joints ache and my energy levels are..........well, what energy? I have none. The most soothing for me (when I get off my rear and do them) is Classical Stretch and Jessica Smith's barefoot walking workouts. Try to feel better hun and I will try too!
Old 01-09-15, 09:45 PM  
killoffsonny

I have more anxiety during the grueling summers. Does anyone else experience this? It is gloomy now but I feel relaxed and sleep so well. Wish I could do the same thing in the summer. I must be odd. By the time July rolls round I'm ready to hibernate. It's cold and gloomy here now but our cold snaps don't last long.

I sometimes dream about moving to Oregon or Montana from July to Sept but I can't afford it. I must be the lone weird one on the board.

Tags
anxiety, depression, meditation, panic attacks, sad, seasonal depression, seasonal disorder, stress