Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-15, 05:59 AM  
Pippadog

Hi

Thanks for the response. I'm in the UK and its very dark in the mornings and after 4.00pm in the afternoon. I am very lucky at the moment that I'm able to walk my dog and other doggy friends in the morning, which really lifts my day.

I will definitely look at Jessica Smiths walking workouts. Florida looks gorgeous and it always looks so warm. How lovely to live in such a bright sunny region.

Laura
x
Pippadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 06:47 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I have a keen interest in astrology and we are on the waning side a full moon in the sign of Cancer, the moodiest sign in the zodiac. A week prior to and a week following this type of moon are often challenging for anyone with anxiety/depression triggers.

I recently also experienced this anxiety/depression, and I tend to always feel this way around this time of year, too. I try to tell myself that it won't always be like this and just accept the feelings instead of trying to change them. Ebb and flow, I suppose.

Just an observation...
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 08:16 AM  
neatski

This time of the year is really hard for a lot of people. This was much more true for me when I lived in the Midwest, though. The cold and dark had a significant effect on me. I find much less of the January/February slump occurs now that I'm living in Florida.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 09:42 AM  
JulieIL

Yelly, Sending you comforting vibes and a <<hug>>. It sounds like you are wisely getting medical advice, but these are a couple of things to consider:

Have you looked into those mood lights? I have an uncle in northern Minnesota who had/has Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), helped greatly with one of these home lights (Happy Lights is one of the brands, found on amazon).

Also, I am always a fish oil & vitamin D advocate, as these have real concrete studies demonstrating their effectiveness for many conditions. If you have the $, it's worth getting the Carlson brand (no fish burps, reputable brand), though I'm also a long term user of the vitacost.com store brand (they have BOGO free sales fairly often on these, as well as free shipping). Reading up on this, it seems that the modern diet, even if healthy, is very commonly imbalanced with the omega 6: 3 ratios, necessitating the supplementation of omega 3 to balance this out.

Please take care.

Julie
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 09:59 AM  
Lannette

I live in the cold, dark North. When I woke up yesterday it was -25F - no clue what the wind chill was - don't want to know. The high for the day was around 1F. The days are really short! It's cloudy so the few hours of light are filtered sun at best.

I was so crabby Wednesday evening I couldn't stand being around myself!

Using a light box early in the morning really helps me. Isometric exercise is a more active type exercise that also seems to help. I think it's because it's a bit like the progressive relaxation exercise where you alternatively tense and release muscles.

On the total opposite I find Yin Yoga to be helpful.

Brisk walking outdoors also helps but it's been too darn cold!

ETA: Lori, ITA about Astrological influences. Also about vitamins, minerals and supplements that can help but won't elaborate to avoid breaking forum rules.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss

Last edited by Lannette; 01-09-15 at 10:04 AM. Reason: ETA
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 10:13 AM  
Betty Boop

I find that reading (and re-reading) The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle helps me fight anxiety and malaise.
Old 01-09-15, 10:36 AM  
Yelly

Thank you so much for your interesting and caring comments. I needed a pick-me-up, and you guys gave me that!

I think I like the idea of moving to Florida the best, ha ha! But being that that's not happening (I wish) I'm going to try to hang in there using your other ideas and suggestions. Thanks again everyone!

I'm so sorry for everyone else who is suffering at this time of year, whether it's from lack of sunshine, or heartbreaking traumatic experiences (Pippadog - [[hugs]] to you). Please hang in there everyone.
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 10:53 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Hugs to (((Yelly))) and all who are going through a bad time.

Personally, I find the "Festive Season" and the ensuing doldrums very depressing. Where I live, there is more sunshine than anyone can want, but it doesn't cure all emotional and mood ills.

I recommend Leslie Sansone workouts. She is cheerful. You can make them harder on energetic days and easier on bad days. Even just a mile with Leslie can lighten things.

Also, lately I have been doing Lee Holden's Qi Gong For Stress and find it reduces anxiety:

http://www.exercisetoheal.com/qi+gon...or+stress.html

Take care!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 10:58 AM  
darbyndoug

I think January is the toughest time of year for me personally. It's just cold, grey, and did I say COLD here in the NYC burbs. Another poster mentioned Jessica Smith.... I just did one of her workouts this morning... and she has that fun upbeat personality that definitely lifts my spirits. PLus the lift from working out. Cathe has that effect on me, too... probably because I've been working out with her dvds for so long (and now via live streaming, yay!). I also try to up the meditation during these cold days.

Counting the days till Spring!
darbyndoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 11:22 AM  
Pippadog

Hi

I will definitely use some of these suggestions. I have a light that does help this time of year. But I think moving to Florida is the best option lol. As long as I can take my dog I don't mind lol.

Maybe we should have a 'Sunshine' check in where we can workout to get some light in our day lol.

Laura
Pippadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anxiety, depression, meditation, panic attacks, sad, seasonal depression, seasonal disorder, stress