Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-13, 02:33 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question What are your Fitness/Health/Wellness plans for 2014?

It's hard to decide how to start the New Year. I'm thinking about starting Cosgrove's Drop 2 Sizes rotation. With a few injuries to work around, anything I do will have to be heavily modified.

I also want to start doing more meditation. It always makes me feel better, but I get really lazy and..........

So, what are your big plans for fitness, health and wellness in 2014?
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 02:44 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I want to feel more like an athlete again. I was always one when I was younger, and I stopped boxing about 5 years ago. I miss the feeling of training for something, and the feeling of being all around fit. I remember during the time I boxed, my mom was moving apartments and I was able to move and carry things that I had never been able to do before, up and down stairs even, without fatigue. My endurance was ridiculous, and I just felt amazing. I basically need to make a plan and stick to it, instead of being distracted by everything out there. I am great at maintaining, which I'm happy with, but this year I want to look and feel like an athlete again.

Thanks for making this thread... it made me actually define my goal

ETA: I've already made progress by purging a huge amount of DVDs, and I have more to go. Now that the first batch is gone, getting rid of more doesn't induce separation anxiety
Old 12-19-13, 02:53 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post
I basically need to make a plan and stick to it, instead of being distracted by everything out there.
This! Absolutely this. DH has just signed us up for another 5K in April, and I am beyond excited. I think it's just what I need: a concrete goal with a deadline and very defined steps to get there. I've felt like I was just thrashing around at random the last couple of years, unable to stick to a rotation... but this feels really right. If I want to do well in that 5K (meaning, run the whole thing & be able to walk the next day), I've gotta train for it.
Old 12-19-13, 03:05 PM  
Fitstick

I've always struggled with diet more than exercise, so I will continue focusing on that in 2014 and try to keep that clean. I am hoping that will help me better feel the results of all of the exercise since I was feeling a bit yucko a few months ago. My other goal is to clean up my DVD shelves and figure out what needs to go and do some purge. I also plan to try some 'new to me' exercise genres such as ballet and barre.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 03:15 PM  
SpiritSong

The main thing for me will be making health a priority. There is nothing more valuable (except perhaps the health of your children), and yet I don't put it at the top of my list.

Number one on the "health as a priority" list is cooking for myself and DH so I can improve our nutrition. Because we are what we eat, and fueling with garbage does not lead to good health.

And of course I will be making time for exercise (including yoga) and meditation. I'm not going to worry too much about rotations, and instead concentrate more on listening to what my body/mind needs and enjoying my collection.

I assume this is going to cut into my TV time.
Old 12-19-13, 03:17 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
I also want to start doing more meditation. It always makes me feel better, but I get really lazy and..........
tip: commit to just doing 5 minutes somewhere each day for a month. i also listened to a couple of CD's and audiobooks by Jack Kornfield and Andrew Weil, and Meditation for DUmmies. i can now meditate on demand and see an immediate body response. i was connected to a BP machine during a recent medical procedure, and i was able to lower my BP literally at will! i felt like Obi Wan.

my employer started a "wellness ambassador" program. we have a wellness coordinator, and she's really good, and very busy, and it was her idea to start this ambassador program. i signed up. it would help me stay on track if i have to be an example to others!!!

my first rotation for the year will probably be a simple one = 30 min of workout time in the morning everyday. life will get in the way as it usually does, and a natural "rest day" each week will present itself. but generally speaking, my rest days are Mondays.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 03:20 PM  
antbuko

I am starting 2014 with knee replacement surgery. I injured my knee badly when I was 19 and it has now become debilitating. So, my first plan is a full recovery which will absolutely delight me, and then I will become a consistent excerciser again which will also delight me. I don't know specifically what my capabilities will be as my recovery advances so I can't really commit to anything in particular just yet, but I've been very inspired by the DDP promo video of the veteran. I loved how he started off stumbling and ended up running at the end of the video.
Old 12-19-13, 03:44 PM  
TinaS

I plan on continuing with daily walks and incorporating yoga/stretching on a regular basis. I really need to work on flexibility. Also plan to ditch artificial sweetners (but I have said this before!).

"Don't be Defeated!" ~~ Cathe
"I know it's hard. But, do it. Please. ~~ Sylwia
"Nothing comes easy. It's always a fight. ~~ Cathe
TinaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 04:01 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

The first thing I need to do is quit eating so much chocolate!! I've been eating a lot lately since people have been bringing them to work for Christmas. But they're so good!!

I really do need to work on my eating more than my exercise routine. I will basically do the same wos. However, I did buy 4 aerial yoga classes using Groupon and will try that in January. If I like it, I will continue to go.
Old 12-19-13, 04:42 PM  
firmaniac

...it is encouraging to read your goals & aspirations! I am sticking with month - to- month focus as my attention span tires quickly (haha). January is sticking to my 15 sculpt and cardio sessions, but adding a Leslie mile per day. I am a gentle progressive tortoise goal person, so don't train for immediate results per se. February I historically begin a "try to do all my workouts at least once each". That takes me through Fall since I winnowed my collection down to approx. 150 dvds. It is fun to revisit old friends and keeps things fresh. I am accepting that portion control is now "normal" for my age, and not just something to do temporarily to lose weight. Rolling through Menopause equals portion control and I Accept this (now). I'm thankful for this thread.

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, goals, new year goals