Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-13, 12:02 PM  
sherry7899

if you do workout "sparks" through the day...

I need to get more movement in during the day aside from "regular" workouts.
What kind of sparks do you do that do not require clothing changes/additional showers?

Thanks!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 12:39 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I sit so much on workdays that I keep a pair of 5 lb dumbells under my desk, a firewalker band, regular resistance band and pair of dixie cups in my desk drawer. Once in awhile if I feel like I've been sitting too long I'll do a few exercises (with my office door locked of course!)

With the band, I like to do rear delt moves like Cathe does in Travel Fit like bow and arrow, band pull downs or chest openers/stretches like BJ did in Delta Fit with a towel.

Sometimes I'll do reverse bicep curls with the 5lb dumbells (I remember hearing Cathe say in STS that was a good one to do to prevent injury) or single arm rear delt flies. I'm always looking for ways to work my posterior delts.

If I'm feeling like the chair is starting to attach itself to my butt, I'll take out the dixie cups and do forward/side lunges or I'll crank out some firewalkers. Sometimes I'll do walking lunges with the 5 lb dumbells. If my heart rate starts to go up to much and I feel a little sweat come on I'll stop and say to myself "WHOA Tiger, slow down there...don't want to be stinky for the next patient!"
Old 01-15-13, 01:07 PM  
beth22

I've always envied people who are able to do "sparks/spurts" throughout the day. I have a desk job but am out in the open and have no ability whatsoever to do anything "sparky" during the day. I'd look like a maniac, and people would be so irritated. I need an office!

I also sweat PROFUSELY--even after doing just 20 kettlebell swings or going on a short walk in 20 degree weather. It's out of the question for me to do any type of short workouts throughout the day without having to take a shower afterwards.
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 02:14 PM  
horsemom2

My main motivator to move is music so I simply click on any youtube clip with decent music and start moving with it. Doesn't matter if it is walking in place or gentle dancing like Nia or the Barefoot Dancer. Sometimes I even stay seated and move with the music in my desk chair.

I try to keep moving for about 10 minutes for a spark.
If I start to break a sweat, I slow it down.

Barb S

ETA: Besides youtube, I have a few video files on my puter ready to make me muve with just a click
The new Classical Stretch routines are perfect for this
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 02:48 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks so much for the ideas!!

Beth-I sweat easily also!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 02:50 PM  
flamingoo

Floor work and planks/push ups. Usually when I do high rep floor work often it's easy for me to write down/ memorize. I'm really trying to be a morning exerciser, but if the snooze gets hit- it's all down hill from there. At least I can squeeze it in throughout the day.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 03:00 PM  
mspina

I love this idea!!!!! I am going to bring in some of my extra bands to do some band work during the day - love the firewalker idea in particular!

Crunches, planks, wall squats, pushups are also obvious choices for getting in a quick little activity.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 03:03 PM  
edensmom

At my old job I did a ton of crunches, leg lifts, donkey kicks, etc. during my down time. I did squats and lunges sometimes too. I am not a big sweater though.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-13, 04:12 PM  
PeakFitness

I find excuses to walk around as much as possible. My step count has gone from probably 3,000 a day to about 9,500 a day not counting "workouts". Most of this is at home but some is at work, too. For example, if I want to print something, I can print it from my own printer, but I'm also networked to the office copy machine, so I print from the copy machine and walk over there and get it as much as possible.
Old 01-16-13, 07:31 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

-- I get outside and take a walk around our office building
-- Walk a figure-8 loop inside our building that includes 2 staircases each loop
-- I have a kettlebell in my office. I do swings; or I do a circuit of: squats, swings, pushups, and 1-arm rows. Just enough to kick up my metabolism, but not enough to generate a big sweat.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multiple workouts per day, sparks