Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-12, 12:27 PM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

Tracy quotes in the NY Times article: “And then as we lose the fat the muscular structure will be vibrating so well that it will have the connective tissues pull the skin back to it.”

Whatever. That kind of explanation would be a big turn off for me if I didn't know who she was and didn't have her workouts. They do work for me, but seriously, I don't think even she understands what she is saying!
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-12, 01:57 PM  
MoFirmer

Actually if you read her article she says she doesn't want teens to focus on body image as they are already having changing bodies. So she specifically didn't call it metamorphosis. She is aware of the fact they don't need to get hung up on body image. And she's been misquoted so many times about the teeny tiny quotes it isn't even funny.
Old 12-24-12, 02:24 PM  
lotusgirl

proprioception IS real

I saw the article in the NYT and thought the same - that it's inappropriate for impressionable teen girls. However, proprioception is real.

I'd never heard this word until a recent yoga workshop given by Max Strom. In a later discussion with a yoga teacher friend, she said, "Oh, yeah, I talk about that all the time with my students," and she teaches a lot of over 60 people. Max talked about the importance of strength in our legs, flexibility and balance. For more about proprioception: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprioception and http://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/proprioception/
Old 12-24-12, 02:45 PM  
furmomof6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusgirl View Post
I saw the article in the NYT and thought the same - that it's inappropriate for impressionable teen girls. However, proprioception is real.

I'd never heard this word until a recent yoga workshop given by Max Strom. In a later discussion with a yoga teacher friend, she said, "Oh, yeah, I talk about that all the time with my students," and she teaches a lot of over 60 people. Max talked about the importance of strength in our legs, flexibility and balance. For more about proprioception: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprioception and http://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/proprioception/
Thanks for the link! I honestly wanted to know what it meant!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-12, 03:17 PM  
carres1973

Count me as one of the non-teen TAers who ordered. I do have a teen daughter and would much rather she work out with me as opposed to doing non-healthy things trying to change her body (i.e. not eating, purging, etc.). However, she has no desire to do any extra exercise on top of soccer and track :-P!

If you read the description of Teen Meta, it specifically says there aren't specific prescriptions because teens bodies are always changing. She doesn't mention teeny-tiny or anything like that.

I just want it for the cardio. I figure $26 isn't bad at all for a TA cardio!

Carrie
carres1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-12, 03:57 PM  
JP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post
I agree, I'd never want my daughter exposed to TA at an impressionable age. I am curious what it's all about though. Guess we'll hear the reviews in Feb 2013!

I came across this recent article on TA. She talks (a bit bizarrely if you ask me) about her method, and how her former employees have stolen her moves.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/fa...anted=all&_r=0

Can someone please define "proprioception perception"??

ETA: Sorry to get off-topic with the article!!

My 15 yo DS (Aspergers Syndrome) has proprioception issues. It's not uncommon and it severely limits his ability to participate in sports. It's why we have him mostly use machines for weight training. There's a disconnect between what his body is actually doing vs. what he thinks it's doing.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-12, 06:22 PM  
Scbayless

Throwing my two cents in.

I've read a fair amount of TA's comments on this work out set. Her desire for it is to get girls in the habit of working out as a healthy life practice, instead of a last result because they hate their bodies. She wants them to make friends with their body and learn they do have some control rather then feeling helpless. Her son will appear in it (he is 14 now) and some other younger girls she's trained.

I think this perspective is VERY healthy. Girls view working out as something "i'll do when I grow up" or something to be loathed, dreaded, hated, but you have to do "If I want ot look right". I think TA has been very careful to make it an empowering set, that focuses on fun and health.

These are all things I would happily encourage my daughter to feel and do. My daughter watches me do TA now, and does the dances with me just a little (she's 2.5) and I'm excited she can watch me make it a healthy life style of something I do daily.

Frankly, girls are being told right and left they aren't thin enough, so how in the world do you get a girl to have healthy work out habits with out them ever thinking about their weight?
Old 12-24-12, 06:26 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

I think it is the presentation that will make this or break this. If TA talks teeny tiny as opposed to strong and healthy, I would not consider it a positive workout for a teen.

If she says women should not go heavier than 3 pounds on weights, I would have reservations.

As my mother always said, it is in the way you sell it.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-12, 06:27 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Oh brother! I like some of Tracy's stuff, but oh brother!!! As an owner of a company who has had people steal our ideas from us, I would tell her to buck up and realize that this happens all the time. You have to stay ahead of the competition. She does not seem to be suffering. Sheesh!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-12, 06:28 PM  
cherimac

I like all the input and the things I've learned here. I really want my daughter to love exercise and not be afraid to lift weights. But honestly, I don't think that a "teen" workout is necessary~my DD likes to exercise to other workouts of mine anyway.

Tags
meta, positive messages, proprioception, teen, teen meta, teeny tiny, tracy anderson