Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-12, 07:44 AM  
dmlarue1

which yoga for dealing with emotions?

Hi all
I know any yoga can help with all emotions, but was wondering if in your travels there were favorites? I have a tendency to push down all my feelings and sink into depression. I am trying to add yoga everyday since losing my dog as a way to avoid that. I am not trying to avoid the hurt, but deal with it instead of numbing myself and not feeling it.

I did radiant heart yoga by shiva rea this morning and it seemed to help process and deal with some of the emotions that I am feeling now. I really liked the chanting during the practice, we used to do that during my yoga classes and it's not something you see on alot of DVDs.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 08:03 AM  
jerebo

I'm sorry to hear you lost your dog.

I haven't tried this personally, but have you tried ViniYoga for Depression? I have some of the other videos in this series and they are dry, but effective. Maybe someone here can add a review.

I believe that Ravi and Anna (Kundalini Yoga) have a DVD that helps with depression.

I have tried Yoga for Stress Relief with Barbara Benagh. She has practices for anxiety, etc. I love that DVD and find it helpful.

Good luck!
Old 09-11-12, 08:12 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I don't know if the Vini Yoga dvd works or not, but one of the practices does include chanting. The practices are very gentle.
Old 09-11-12, 08:20 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Have you ever explored Kundalini Yoga? I find that using my RaviAna library on a regular basis helps me to have a happier outlook, and their practices can take me from being in a foul mood to being relieved of bad energy. They make me feel bright and "polished" for lack of a better word. They help with it all - frustration, sadness, blues, anger, stress, even just plain being stuck in a rut.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 08:31 AM  
laurajhawk

Anything with backbends is good for depression - Radiant Heart was a great choice, and there's backbend practices in AM Yoga for Your Week, Blissology, Yoga Shakti, and Ultimate Yogi, among others. Kundalini yoga has an excellent effect on mood; for me it's less of an immediate buzz, more of a long-term elevation, and it probably comes from the breath work as much as anything, so I think *any* of the RaviAna's would be good... most of them also include chanting. ((hugs)) and good luck!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 09:28 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

So sorry for your loss. Wish I had some suggestions for you.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 10:06 PM  
moonbeam31

First of all, very sorry for your loss. Check into some Raviana workouts like Transformer and Yoga Beauty Body-these are very different than "regular" Hatha or Vinyasa Flow yoga that you may be used to though. At first try I hated these-I love them now.Unfortuneatley there are not a lot of clips of these availabel though. I read all the reviews on here and on amazon.com -they were very helpful in chosing the right workouts.
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 07:02 AM  
Bebop

Kundalini Yoga. Ravi and Anna has some nice workouts.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 07:12 AM  
dmlarue1

thanks for the suggestions..I am off to buy some Raviana DVDs. I had never tried them before.
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 08:12 AM  
jerebo

Yoga Quick Fixes has a practice specifically for depression... (Ravi and Ana)

Tags
alternative yoga, depression, kundalini, live kundalini dvds, yoga for depression