Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-12, 09:42 PM  
mel VF

Sparks?

Hi folks, long time no see. I'm stubbornly trying (yet) again to re-start my exercise habit. I'm finding myself very time crunched (who isn't), so I'm thinking that I'd like to have several workouts that I can use as sparks, without doing the "let me change and spend 30-75 minutes working out" thing.

Specifically, I'm looking for low impact floor, and I'm afraid that my cardiovascular status is pretty beginner to low-intermediate now. I used to be a choreography hound, and I'm getting bored with Leslie (although I do love her).

Do y'all have any suggestions for workouts that are either 10-15 minutes long or ones that are easily broken down to that length via chaptering?
mel VF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 09:59 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Believe it or not, I really like Kim Kardashian's (really, not joking) step workout for this. It has three 10 minute routines. When I am not feeling the workout vibe, or don't have much time, I put this one in. I usually end up doing at least 2, if not all 3 routines, but I know that I can just do one and feel like I "finished" my workout. A lot of step workouts have this set up, where they are broken down into short routines, so you don't have to do the entire DVD and you still feel like you did something.
Old 05-09-12, 10:15 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Stephanie Huckabee's PowerFit Series. All of the workouts are 20 minutes. I skip the warm ups and part of the cool downs and I can shave off 4- 5 minutes making it 15 minutes easily. She has cardio-only, strength, and core workouts. They are cheap nowadays via TotalFitnessDVDs.com and come with the bands. They are great for beginners+ and can be made more difficult as you advanced simply by increasing the band tension with thicker bands!!!

Chris Freytag's 2 Week Turn Around is broken up into 15 minute chuncks I believe. She has 2 DVDs in the set, cardio and strength but are sold individually.

I just bought "Power 4 Pink Workout by Patricia Friberg" this afternoon it might be more strength an cardio however.

Prevention's Big Shortcuts to Weightloss was always on my to-go list for shorter workouts. It was also one that I didn't have to worry about changing into workout clothes if I didn't feel like it for sweat reasons- flexibility reasons I always changed clothes.

Jane Fonda's Prime Time workouts might fit the bill too.

One of my favorites although it has premixes, i don't think there are any 15 minutes or less- Debra Mazda

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 03:38 AM  
smith938
VF Supporter

how about Leslie Sansone's 1 mile workouts? I just got her Ultimate 5 Day Walk and it has where you can make your own workout - yesterday I picked just hte 'purple' mile and it was very quick to get it to play just that - around 12-15 min - no cooldown really but I walked around on my own. it did have a warmup though but I was already warmed up so I added arms during her warmup.

sevearl 10 minute solution workouts though not all are cardio.

there's a neat 'walking' workout from giam - madeleine lewis It hink - has 3 10 min walks that include a short toning section at the end - standing and still walking or upping the intensity - gotta find mine - also a 10 min stretch I believe seems like you could pick a particular walk - don't remember exactly.

denise austin has a walking one too but I dont' like it as well though each of the 3 sections is closer to 15 min for her.

for closer to 20 min caribbean workout had some 2 pack dvds several years ago and one was cardio - Iv'e done a couple from these and they were ok - more high impact but not bad to take down if you need to. I think Gilad has some quick stuff as well.
Old 05-10-12, 05:43 AM  
lucia
VF Supporter

For floor cardio, how about:
- Kukuwa (I have three dvds: Kananga, Kirango, & Konongu)
- Misty Tripoli Body Groove Delicious Dance
- Tamilee Webb Fit to the Hits Motown
Old 05-10-12, 05:47 AM  
lucia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist of Eyes View Post
Stephanie Huckabee's PowerFit Series. All of the workouts are 20 minutes. I skip the warm ups and part of the cool downs and I can shave off 4- 5 minutes making it 15 minutes easily. She has cardio-only, strength, and core workouts. They are cheap nowadays via TotalFitnessDVDs.com and come with the bands. They are great for beginners+ and can be made more difficult as you advanced simply by increasing the band tension with thicker bands!!!
Chris Freytag's 2 Week Turn Around is broken up into 15 minute chuncks I believe. She has 2 DVDs in the set, cardio and strength but are sold individually.

Prevention's Big Shortcuts to Weightloss was always on my to-go list for shorter workouts. It was also one that I didn't have to worry about changing into workout clothes if I didn't feel like it for sweat reasons- flexibility reasons I always changed clothes.
These sound interesting - I'm going to check them out...I always plan to add "spark" workouts, too...I just have to actually DO them
Old 05-10-12, 05:47 AM  
Jewels5

I would recommend the Exhale Core Fusion workouts. Most of their workouts are broken down into 10 minute segments, or close to it. Their newest 30 Day Sculpt which has 30 20-minute workouts. The workouts are mostly Pilates based toning and yoga, but also some have a slight cardio effect. These workouts have been very effective for me!

I also think Leslie would be a great place to start. She offers some workouts with light toning also.
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 09:59 AM  
PeakFitness

Denise Austin Blast Away the Pounds Indoor Walk has 15 min walks.

10 Minute Solution Fat Blasting Dance Mix

I was also thinking Richard Simmons, you coud stop after each song, but I don't think the DVD's are chaptered.
Old 05-10-12, 10:07 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

If you have a region-free DVD player, I highly recommend a UK workout, Then & Now, that has a very fun but easy-to-follow 15min floor aerobic section followed by a 15min kickbox section. Actually lots of UK workouts are set up this way, with 10-15min routines of dance, hi-lo, high intensity, kickbox, 'bootcamp', etc. And the music's often quite good.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 10:07 AM  
Gams

Kathy Smith's Matyrix Walk has short segments. I think there's one about 12 minutes long - I do it sometimes when I need to get some extra steps in and have no time.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 week turnaround, patricia friberg, short workouts, sparks