Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-12, 08:49 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

I'm one of the lucky ones. Medication works for me. You never think of yourself as lucky until something happens like Sean taking his life and you are suddenly thankful that a pill with tremendous stigmas attached works for you.

I see posts about what to do for exercise when you're depressed and it's taken a long time but I now understand those posters are talking about depression "lite." Many people don't understand, they can't fathom that there is a depression "dark." It's the people who talk about the tunnel, the hole, who know what depression-dark is. Finding a reason to wake up in the morning is on their minds, not what dvd to do.

I wish I had known Sean in real life because I would have told him that he doesn't have to die but a piece of him, some belief that he holds, some truth that didn't begin with a capital T and isn't a truth at all, some part of him does have to die so that he can live an authentic life. I wish Sean had heard that message.

But it wasn't meant to be. And it hurts. A bright, shining, giving soul touched so many of us yet couldn't feel the love and admiration that was returned.

As hard as it must be for his family and close friends, I believe they had a duty to tell his story so that it, hopefully, saves someone else. I think it's the most selfless and loving thing they could do for Sean, a tortured, soulful man.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 08:50 PM  
suegy3

I'm glad that Sean's family shared his story. My heart breaks for them. And poor Sean, he must have went through so much.

I hope that by Colleen sharing Sean's story, it will break some of the stigma's of mental illness. Mental illness is no different than cancer, heart disease or any other illness. The only difference is the stigma and shame that so many people live with and the lack of funding.

I hope that Sean's family can find some peace that they did all they could to help Sean and make him feel loved and valid.

And for those that shared their personal stories with depression and suicidal thoughts, hugs to you. You are not alone.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 09:01 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

As a psychologist, I really appreciate the openness about suicide in particular and mental illness in general.

Also, I just read something timely in SHAPE magazine: Facebook now offers a service for those who witness anyone posting suicidal content in their status message on the site--Facebook will send the person an email with information on the National Suicide Prevention Hotline. Here is the link for how you can report the person to Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/help/contact...05410456169423

You can also search for "suicide" under Facebook's help for other options.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 09:20 PM  
gigi

I'm just so, so sorry and I hope and pray his passing will help bring awareness and help to those who need it.
Old 04-02-12, 09:39 PM  
KellyMarie65

<<I hope that by Colleen sharing Sean's story, it will break some of the stigma's of mental illness. Mental illness is no different than cancer, heart disease or any other illness.>>

I am so sorry to read about such a wonderful person. I am a psychiatric RN and want to scream every time our very own emergency dept within the hospital adds to the stigma (by treating a psychiatric patient as less than a person vs a medical tx patient) I get so upset because I know this is a main reason some won't get help. :*( I am so sorry for Sean and his family and the many others who suffer so. It is a tragedy in our world and we need to come a long way to break the barriers the stigma puts up.
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 09:42 PM  
KellyMarie65

Sorry double post
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 10:01 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

The family history on my paternal side is deep with depression so my heart goes out to the O'Malley family. Wow, it's so very sad that he was suffering so deeply but still motivated and inspired so many of us. This will not change the love and respect that I feel/felt for him as Cardio Coach. I'll continue to use his MP3s and think of him and pray that he's finally found peace and happiness.

Kathy G
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 10:04 PM  
knitter_mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy View Post
I see posts about what to do for exercise when you're depressed and it's taken a long time but I now understand those posters are talking about depression "lite." Many people don't understand, they can't fathom that there is a depression "dark." It's the people who talk about the tunnel, the hole, who know what depression-dark is. Finding a reason to wake up in the morning is on their minds, not what dvd to do.

I wish I had known Sean in real life because I would have told him that he doesn't have to die but a piece of him, some belief that he holds, some truth that didn't begin with a capital T and isn't a truth at all, some part of him does have to die so that he can live an authentic life. I wish Sean had heard that message...
Wow Lexy, you opened my eyes in reading your message, I think you very eloquently describe what makes depression and suicide so hard to understand if you haven't been there yourself. I truly hope Sean's family take some peace in knowing his fans and followers are so affected by his death while at the same time, do not blame him but are just trying to understand.

Kris
knitter_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 11:05 PM  
RachelleS

Lexy, your post said it very well. I tell people it is like being in a black hole that you don't even know you are in. The thoughts that a person has are not their own and there is no control over them. I was diagnoised with clinical depression months after the birth of my second child. To think that I came so close to not being here to raise my kids the last 16 years is heartbreaking - but it almost happened. Anyone who knows me, would never believe it. It was one phone call to a friend who's words clicked for me that made me go in to the doctor and get help. We've had two male friends commit suicide - it is harder for males and harder to see in males. Course, I hid it from my family and friends also - and I'm normally a very emotional person - excpet for that one phone call that literally saved my life.

It does need to be talked about more - it is a chemical imbalance. It is not a character flaw. And finding the right medication is not always easy - a person needs to know there are many out there that might make the symptoms worse so they need to be vocal with their doctor. Sometimes it takes a couple of different kinds to work together. I wish that part was easier - because getting help is hard enough.

I haven't read the rest of the posts but those that have suffered and are suffering are in my thoughts and prayers. It is not an easy journey and much harder for some than others.

So many young people have been taking their life and that breaks my heart also - one moment that cannot be changed and forever changes your loved ones lives - when if they only knew that their IS light out of that dark, dark hole and a person doesn't have to be in that hole forever. It's just getting to the light.

Thank you Lexy for your message.

Rachelle
RachelleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-12, 12:25 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy View Post
I'm one of the lucky ones. Medication works for me. You never think of yourself as lucky until something happens like Sean taking his life and you are suddenly thankful that a pill with tremendous stigmas attached works for you.

I wish I had known Sean in real life because I would have told him that he doesn't have to die but a piece of him, some belief that he holds, some truth that didn't begin with a capital T and isn't a truth at all, some part of him does have to die so that he can live an authentic life. I wish Sean had heard that message.

But it wasn't meant to be. And it hurts. A bright, shining, giving soul touched so many of us yet couldn't feel the love and admiration that was returned.

As hard as it must be for his family and close friends, I believe they had a duty to tell his story so that it, hopefully, saves someone else. I think it's the most selfless and loving thing they could do for Sean, a tortured, soulful man.
Lexy, thanks for your story.

My mind was really opened about depression when I read about David Foster Wallace (a novelist) and his struggle with depression and his suicide. I thought I understood before reading about all of the things he did to try to become well, including electroshock therapy. But, I really didn't and unfortunately, his disease was incurable.

I don't remember where I read the original article, but the New Yorker obit for Foster Wallace does explain it a bit. Perhaps we could honor Coach Sean by learning about the disease that took his life.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio coach, coach sean, depression