Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-11, 08:43 AM  
yoni

Viniyoga Therapy For Anxiety & Depression with Gary Kraftsow

just saw this. thought you'll be interested.
http://www.pranamaya.com/viniyoga-th...ety-depression

I also saw this on Amazon to be released in november.
yoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 09:45 AM  
in paris

Pulled up sample clips in case anyone else is interested:

Viniyoga Therapy for Anxiety DVD Practice Sample 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGAImoLuEko

Viniyoga Therapy for Anxiety DVD Practice Sample 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ueGl...eature=related

Viniyoga Therapy for Depression DVD Practice Sample 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PVISKYBaKA

Viniyoga Therapy for Depression DVD Practice Sample 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQngT...eature=related

I am continually searching for a dvd that can help "train" me in moments of extreme claustrophobia -- airplanes on the ground (I'm fine when they're moving) and lifts (I avoid these like the plague)... My goal is to practice at home so that I can recruit the feeling when needed (sometimes Rescue Remedy is not enough) so I am interested in the one for anxiety... Will a simple OM be powerful enough, do you think?

Also, I have no experience with Gary. Any thoughts you care to share on his other practices?
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 05:22 PM  
Eibhinn

Thanks for mentioning this - I actually hoped a Viniyoga for Depression DVD might be released someday. FYI - Both DVDs are available for presale at discounted prices from Amazon.com and Amazon.ca - currently Amazon.ca is cheapest at $16.99.

In Paris, I have, and use, both of Kraftsow's earlier releases. Viniyoga is slow-paced, involves repeated movements with the breath versus static holds, and is typically therapeutically oriented. Kraftsow is fairly serious and down-to-business and teaches via voiceover with a pretty monotone voice - he is never on screen during the practices, just during the lecture. I don't believe there is any music during the actual practice besides a little flourish during the introduction or at the beginning of each chapter or something. Take home message - I find the practices to be very effective at their goals (amazingly so at times - the upper body one is the only thing that helps my shoulder impingement), but not exciting or fun in any way. Many people find them excrutiatingly boring, but I tend to just zone out (in?) and focus on the movement. It's a fairly meditative style - I've read Kraftsow almost exclusively maintains a meditation versus asana practice these days. I read a description that these newest releases the second practice is mostly breathing and chanting, so it will be interesting to see what that ends up being like. The last releases were totally asana practice.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 05:36 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

in paris, thank you for sharing...I struggle with anxiety and claustrophobia and the airplanes on the ground is a huge trigger for me. Also gridlock traffic.

I am cautiously interested in these--I had Gary's Viniyoga for lower back pain and felt it was like taking medicine--dry and boring. If I could overcome my anxiety with these practices, though, I'd be a very happy camper.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 09:03 PM  
KBear

When I use one of his DVDs, I always turn lights off and play relaxation music (such as ocean waves and soft music like this: http://www.amazon.com/Relaxation-Med...5791753&sr=8-2). Since his DVDs do not have any background music, it works very well. I find Gary "monotone" voice wonderfully sleep inducing. . .
KBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 09:14 PM  
killoffsonny

I suffer a lot from anxiety due to family and financial stress. This looks like something good for me. Thanks!
Old 09-11-11, 09:50 PM  
earthydiva

this sounds great.
earthydiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 10:25 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
in paris, thank you for sharing...I struggle with anxiety and claustrophobia and the airplanes on the ground is a huge trigger for me. Also gridlock traffic.

I am cautiously interested in these--I had Gary's Viniyoga for lower back pain and felt it was like taking medicine--dry and boring. If I could overcome my anxiety with these practices, though, I'd be a very happy camper.

Jackie
This is the way I feel about his first ones, although they really are good practices. My back always felt better when I did that one. But I find these are easier to take because you are concentrating so much on the breath. No time to get bored when you're spending so much attention on your breathing.

I'm not particularly fond of chanting so I prefer the first practice on each dvd.
ddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 04:34 AM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post

Jackie, can I just say I love you for that? Seriously! I feel like such a dork when it hits me in gridlock... I am usually okay if I am at the very left or right lane, but if I'm in the middle watch out

Not that I'd wish it on anybody else, but it does make me feel better that I am not alone in this.

Betsy, thank you for your explanation... Whilst this does not sound like a barrel of laughs, repeated movement with breath sounds very good for me. I can stay engaged as long as there is movement, zoning in/out as you say... If I learn it (and it works), I can translate modified movement to the plane seat.

You've made me interested in the upper back one as well... How long is that practice?

And how long are the practices for anxiety and depression? Ah, just answered my own question:45 minutes for practice 1, 54 minutes for practice 2. Long!

I am willing to be a guinea pig and this may be a dvd I try to get here before I fly next.

(Also on my list is iMeditate with Erich Schiffmann)
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 08:34 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I am flying in about a month and am already thinking about it...I'll have to go back and check the release date on this. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

in Paris--I'm glad you posted about this, because I feel so silly, too. I get sweaty...hate it.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anxiety, depression, gary kraftsow, viniyoga